Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

Premium Member
I'm literally sitting in a dealer service lobby as I type looking at all the cars in the bays. Mine, with it's shabby looking winter wheels, is the only nonconformist in the batch. I feel so ashamed 馃ぃ

I'm wondering if they will straighten them out before they give me the car back.
The local dealer I originally took my Boxster to for inspection and oil change did not orient the center caps according to the protocol, so I had to fix them. This isn't possible with center locks. The cap is keyed into the center lock nut. The orientation of the cap on the nut ends up where it ends up after torquing. But my Boxster center caps are oriented and looking fine :)

Registered
2021 Boxster
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I upgraded (?) from black & white to the colored caps... hence the hook tool. Be careful when using the needle nose pliers to rotate the cap. It might scar/mar them since (I believe) they're plastic.

Premium Member
If you search online for Porsche center cap removal tool, you'll find tools worthy of a Porsche because they're priced ridiculously lol These are easily replicated for pennies. But I have to say, I've never had a reason to remove them from lugged wheels. Am I missing something here? 馃懆鈥嶐煍 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
2021 Boxster
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If you search online for Porsche center cap removal tool, you'll find tools worthy of a Porsche because they're priced ridiculously lol These are easily replicated for pennies. But I have to say, I've never had a reason to remove them from lugged wheels. Am I missing something here? 馃懆鈥嶐煍 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
One word "Alignment" : Look back through the thread and you'll find the reason. :D

Registered
Correct me if I'm wrong, Raven, but aren't you the color blind guy? I hate to be the one to tell you, but someone ripped you off. They are standard monochromes.

You seem so proud no one else here has the heart to tell you, and I get that. But I don't want you to embarrass yourself when you go to show them off at the next C & C.

And to anyone that has the colored stuff, you better buy the OEM locks for 'em. To **** with stealing the entire wheelset, I'll be happy just stealing THEM. Practically worth more money, and if I get caught in the act they'll be a lot easier to carry while you're chasing me ....

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Super Moderator
So guys and galls. I have 2 spot on and 2 that could do better.
Silly question of the week. How are you all removing the shields? Is there a special tool somewhere?

Thanks all
A smallish allen key and a pair of pliers to grip it. I also used a very slight smear of grease (special Porsche grease of course) on the flanges to make them snap back in easier.

Premium Member
I have an epic modification coming. It is a Red Dot that goes on the Sport/Sport + selector switch. You can't get much more epic than that. 馃お

I bent a coat hanger to make a center cap removal tool. It works great.

Registered
2021 Boxster
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
This is a tough crowd. I should have known..... :D

Nary a metal coat hanger in my home. All are plastic. Logic: Florida > Humidity > Metal > Rust

How did this thread get such long legs? You all are amazing..... Woot!

• Haha
Reactions: Treemagnet

Registered
For those that want to ensure their wheel crest is always pointing in the right direction as to avoid public shame, a small dab of clear silicon gel on the inside of the wheel cap will keep it from rotating.

Registered
2021 Boxster
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
For those that want to ensure their wheel crest is always pointing in the right direction as to avoid public shame, a small dab of clear silicon gel on the inside of the wheel cap will keep it from rotating.
Mine are pretty snug @gatorfast. Took some pressure to install the new ones. Are there different sizes? I know I ordered mine (Suncoast) for the specific wheel.... <ponder>

Registered
Mine are pretty snug @gatorfast. Took some pressure to install the new ones. Are there different sizes? I know I ordered mine (Suncoast) for the specific wheel.... <ponder>
I dont think there are different sizes, should only be one standard fit for the wheel.

A few of my caps snap in snugly and dont move but a few others snap in and then can rotate with little force. So I dabbed them all with silicon to ensure perfect placement always! Heaven forbid a fellow enthusiast catches my caps oriented incorrectly :)

Registered
...a small dab of clear silicon gel on the inside of the wheel cap will keep it from rotating.
Aren't they supposed to rotate with the wheel? Otherwise when you stop they won't point to the filler cap unless you stop in exactly the right place.

How did this thread get such long legs? You all are amazing..... Woot!
This is an epic modification thread.

Premium Member
I have an epic modification coming. It is a Red Dot that goes on the Sport/Sport + selector switch. You can't get much more epic than that. 馃お

I bent a coat hanger to make a center cap removal tool. It works great.
You mean 60 bucks is too much for a red dot? 馃ぃ

I have to say, that $60 price has to be a finger in the eye or a joke on the part of those selling it. Is actually a Porsche part or a parts seller joke?

Premium Member
You mean 60 bucks is too much for a red dot? 馃ぃ

I have to say, that $60 price has to be a finger in the eye or a joke on the part of those selling it. Is actually a Porsche part or a parts seller joke?
$5.90 actually . . . but still too much. Oh well. 馃お

41 - 60 of 86 Posts