Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EQT 718 GTS - Thunderhill West with OnGrid 3/20/22.

Set a new PB of 1:21.3 and took 2 seconds off the previous best time for this car. Very happy with how the 718 felt. This round we added SPL suspension bits and got the alignment dialed in nicely. Seems to be working! Once these tires are done, I'll put on a set of R7's and see if we can get a sub 1:20.

2018 Porsche Cayman GTS (2.5T)
EQT E30 Tune
Downpipe
Ohlins Coilovers
SPL Arms and Links
GT4 Style wing and scoops
Apex 19" Wheels with Goodyear 3R's (305 rear, 265 front)

Thanks
-- Ed

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Looks like fun, but a bit of oversteer in a few corners which suggest to me you should be able to go a bit faster if you can dial that out.

I've been wanting to try a 305 tire on the rear and wider on the front but my workshop seems to think the rear is getting very close to the guard. Just wondering what your wheel offset is and width? I assume the tyre is a 305/35/19?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
214 Posts
EQT 718 GTS - Thunderhill West with OnGrid 3/20/22.

Set a new PB of 1:21.3 and took 2 seconds off the previous best time for this car. Very happy with how the 718 felt. This round we added SPL suspension bits and got the alignment dialed in nicely. Seems to be working! Once these tires are done, I'll put on a set of R7's and see if we can get a sub 1:20.

2018 Porsche Cayman GTS (2.5T)
EQT E30 Tune
Downpipe
Ohlins Coilovers
SPL Arms and Links
GT4 Style wing and scoops
Apex 19" Wheels with Goodyear 3R's (305 rear, 265 front)

Thanks
-- Ed
Nice Vid and thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great lap and video! Thanks for sharing it. I see the oversteer Don was mentioning. Any thoughts on if you want to dial that out or if some of that was lift-off induced?
What do you think about the Catalyst? Nice to hear the feedback it provides but do you find it useful and can you react to it?

Very cool stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like fun, but a bit of oversteer in a few corners which suggest to me you should be able to go a bit faster if you can dial that out.

I've been wanting to try a 305 tire on the rear and wider on the front but my workshop seems to think the rear is getting very close to the guard. Just wondering what your wheel offset is and width? I assume the tyre is a 305/35/19?
I'm using the Apex SM-10 in 19x9 ET50 front, 19x11 ET46 rear.

BTW, my fastest laps always have a couple moments like that. If I drive smoother, I generally go slower ;)

-- Ed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great lap and video! Thanks for sharing it. I see the oversteer Don was mentioning. Any thoughts on if you want to dial that out or if some of that was lift-off induced?
What do you think about the Catalyst? Nice to hear the feedback it provides but do you find it useful and can you react to it?

Very cool stuff.
The oversteer you see is all on throttle. Its just me driving to the very limits of the tires. Little moments like that don't slow the car down as long as you don't have all the factory interventions enabled. Dialing that out more will mean more understeer and will make the car less enjoyable and usually slower.

I'm enjoying the catalyst. Not sure that I've actually picked up any time with its feedback yet, but its a nice tool all around.

-- Ed

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

BTW, my fastest laps always have a couple moments like that. If I drive smoother, I generally go slower ;)

-- Ed
I assume no rubbing anywhere. Are your APEX wheels on a GTS and what size tires are you running? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume no rubbing anywhere. Are your APEX wheels on a GTS and what size tires are you running? Thanks!
No rubbing at all, even with the aggressive alignment which pushed the track out wider.

Yes the wheels are on my GTS. I'm running 305/30/19 on rear and 265/35/19 front.

-- Ed

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
No rubbing at all, even with the aggressive alignment which pushed the track out wider.

Yes the wheels are on my GTS. I'm running 305/30/19 on rear and 265/35/19 front.

-- Ed
Is your suspension stock and, if so, will you please state your alignment specs? I had pretty much decided to go with SM-10's for track days and wasn't sure if the 9's & 11's would fit without any suspension mods (which I would like to avoid while under warranty). Also like the idea of going with 265's and 305's...Cup 2's if they are available. Thanks again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is your suspension stock and, if so, will you please state your alignment specs? I had pretty much decided to go with SM-10's for track days and wasn't sure if the 9's & 11's would fit without any suspension mods (which I would like to avoid while under warranty). Also like the idea of going with 265's and 305's...Cup 2's if they are available. Thanks again!
My suspension mods are listed in the OP.. far from stock.

-- Ed

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

-- Ed
Thanks great info, camber plates would help the tires to clear the guards. What camber are you running?

My calculation is on the front compared to the OEM Carrera S wheels you have 6mm less inner clearance and extend 20mm out, and on the rear 14mm less inner clearance and extend 12mm out. But this will also depend on whether you have more camber from adjustment at the bottom vs camber plates at the top. Do you have any photos of how close the wheels are to the guards?

Your tires are also smaller diameter than stock so that would also be helping them to fit! I'm wondering if you could run 305 with 20x11" in a 30 profile.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks great info, camber plates would help the tires to clear the guards. What camber are you running?

My calculation is on the front compared to the OEM Carrera S wheels you have 6mm less inner clearance and extend 20mm out, and on the rear 14mm less inner clearance and extend 12mm out. But this will also depend on whether you have more camber from adjustment at the bottom vs camber plates at the top. Do you have any photos of how close the wheels are to the guards?

Your tires are also smaller diameter than stock so that would also be helping them to fit! I'm wondering if you could run 305 with 20x11" in a 30 profile.
I'm at -3.5 front, -2.5 rear. My rear is maxed out with this wheel/tire. Front could go more, but would put the car out of balance IMO.

-- Ed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice work! I've never run West. We run that section as part of the 5 mile though and it's really fun :)
West is tricky but fun once you learn it. This car lends itself well to the tight technical track.

To give you guys an idea, the only cars that ran faster laps than me were a McLaren with a really good driver, and a fully track built lotus, again with a very good driver. And I was within about 1 second of their times. I think with a stickier tire I'll be able to get to that time range as well, which is really impressive for a street Caymen with full interior.

-- Ed

·
Vendor
382 Posts
Have you run the 5 mile? I'd be curious what your times are like on that.

West is tricky but fun once you learn it. This car lends itself well to the tight technical track.

To give you guys an idea, the only cars that ran faster laps than me were a McLaren with a really good driver, and a fully track built lotus, again with a very good driver. And I was within about 1 second of their times. I think with a stickier tire I'll be able to get to that time range as well, which is really impressive for a street Caymen with full interior.

-- Ed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts