Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're third in line in the dealer's allocation queue hoping for European delivery of a 2022 718 Boxster in the spring. Fingers crossed here. While there are no guarantees just yet, it's fun musing about the possible routes for a month-long drive. I've read some of the forum advice, and figured I'd see what you all have to say.

From what I understand, pickup in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig is currently limited to just that, pickup. If the dampener of Covid lifts, we may do the Leipzig delivery to take advantage of the factory track. Maybe. Else it's Zuffenhausen.

So, for now, here's our tentative route. Assume a few days in each location.

• Fly San Francisco to Paris.
• Train to Zuffenhausen.
• Drive to Hamburg. I like model trains. Big exhibit there... This dogleg may get scratched for time.
• Drive to Barcelona
• Ferry to Majorca
• Ferry to Ibiza
• Ferry to Barcelona
• Mediterranean Coast road to Tuscany. Side trips around Italy.
• Back to Zuffenhausen via Switzerland.
• Fly Stuttgart to San Francisco

We have no reservations about longer road trips in the Boxster -- we did U.S. coast-to-coast and back in our Miata. If Covid kills European delivery, we'll do that again. Maybe a Canadian route this time.

Thoughts?

JB

·
Registered
525 Posts
Waiting for an allocation myself for a 2022 European Delivery. Did one back in 2018 and enjoyed it.

First, we picked up the car in Leipzig and returned just outside Stuttgart. Wanted the track experience plus we spent a week in Berlin just prior so Leipzig was very convenient. In addition, we headed straight to Dresden and went on from there.

Second, there is a mileage limitation that Porsche encourages. I forget exactly what..maybe 6000km. I don’t think there Is a legal limit except for the 6 mos but Porsche pretty much washes their hands if there is a lot of mileage on the car and it results in a VAT trigger.

Third, extra insurance, above and beyond the included two weeks is pretty pricy.

Fourth, having the car in any city is just a hassle. We’ve done long European road trips in the past, and it’s irritating spending 50 Euros a night to warehouse your car for weeks at a time. I prefer staying in cities, forgetting the car, and taking public transportation. So if you are going to do much time in the cities, I suggest you do it before or after you pick up the car to do your road trip. ( As you mentioned with Paris)

Porsche will send you some suggested itineraries( inc hotels and restaurants) when you sign up for the Euro delivery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
...........snip..............Fourth, having the car in any city is just a hassle. We’ve done long European road trips in the past, and it’s irritating spending 50 Euros a night to warehouse your car for weeks at a time. ....... snip.......
This is very true. Even if your hotel has private off street covered parking, the spots will be sized for a Fiat 500. I lived in Italy for many years and owned a very nice Ferrari 360 Modena. The alloy body did not respond well to door dings, so even what might seem like a good parking solution, it usually wasn't very good at all.
When visiting large cities with my Ferrari, the trip to and from was wonderful, but the problem of dealing with the car for a few days was always worrisome. The solution on a number of occasions was to call the local Ferrari dealer and ask if they could recommend a safe and secure place to park, perhaps inside their fenced storage yard. Invariably they responded with an invitation to park inside at their place.

I used to bring them some special Ligurian olive oil (regarded by many as the best in the world) and a couple of bottles of our local Barbera wine because even though I always offered to pay, they would not accept money. When it came time to retrieve the car, they invariably had it washed and ready to go.

This may be a bit more difficult to pull off with a Porsche, but it might be worth looking into as a safe place to stash your car for a few days while you do the city thing. Even if you can't find a Porsche dealer, you might get a similar deal from a local high performance auto dealer and/or repair shop. Something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
95 Posts
We're third in line in the dealer's allocation queue hoping for European delivery of a 2022 718 Boxster in the spring. Fingers crossed here. While there are no guarantees just yet, it's fun musing about the possible routes for a month-long drive. I've read some of the forum advice, and figured I'd see what you all have to say.

From what I understand, pickup in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig is currently limited to just that, pickup. If the dampener of Covid lifts, we may do the Leipzig delivery to take advantage of the factory track. Maybe. Else it's Zuffenhausen.

So, for now, here's our tentative route. Assume a few days in each location.

• Fly San Francisco to Paris.
• Train to Zuffenhausen.
• Drive to Hamburg. I like model trains. Big exhibit there... This dogleg may get scratched for time.
• Drive to Barcelona
• Ferry to Majorca
• Ferry to Ibiza
• Ferry to Barcelona
• Mediterranean Coast road to Tuscany. Side trips around Italy.
• Back to Zuffenhausen via Switzerland.
• Fly Stuttgart to San Francisco

We have no reservations about longer road trips in the Boxster -- we did U.S. coast-to-coast and back in our Miata. If Covid kills European delivery, we'll do that again. Maybe a Canadian route this time.

Thoughts?

JB
That sounds like a nice trip. Driving trips in Europe are fun. I would not do it in a nice car that I own though. As other have pointed out the streets in towns are small, parking spots are smaller, roads are crappy in the country, and parking in towns and hotels is expensive. I would rent a car, get the extra insurance, and let it get beat up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is very true. Even if your hotel has private off street covered parking, the spots will be sized for a Fiat 500. I lived in Italy for many years and owned a very nice Ferrari 360 Modena. The alloy body did not respond well to door dings, so even what might seem like a good parking solution, it usually wasn't very good at all.
When visiting large cities with my Ferrari, the trip to and from was wonderful, but the problem of dealing with the car for a few days was always worrisome. The solution on a number of occasions was to call the local Ferrari dealer and ask if they could recommend a safe and secure place to park, perhaps inside their fenced storage yard. Invariably they responded with an invitation to park inside at their place.

I used to bring them some special Ligurian olive oil (regarded by many as the best in the world) and a couple of bottles of our local Barbera wine because even though I always offered to pay, they would not accept money. When it came time to retrieve the car, they invariably had it washed and ready to go.

This may be a bit more difficult to pull off with a Porsche, but it might be worth looking into as a safe place to stash your car for a few days while you do the city thing. Even if you can't find a Porsche dealer, you might get a similar deal from a local high performance auto dealer and/or repair shop. Something to consider anyway.
Agree with the assessment that parking in Europe, especially Italy, UK, and Germany is plagued by small spaces, often parallel parking is a must. I lived in Germany for 5 years and drove an MX-5 and was always worried someone would take out the side mirrors. Instead, I would probably lease a car through Porsche Drive and take that around. If there is damage, it's insured, but it's not my car getting repaired and the dealer has to take the depreciation. Just a thought.

Reactions: davchr

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I lived in Germany for 5 years. I never worried much about parking because I lived on post. However, driving around the small towns could be nerve racking.

If you can be sure and drive the Seilvio Pass. (I did it three times on a motorcycle.) Gross Großglockner is a hoot as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Parking can be a problem. I rented a C4S from Porsche Drive. The assigned parking spot at are VRBO had poles on both side of the parking spot. After getting it down into the parking garage, an adventure in of itself, I could get the front end on but the wide hips. The owner was not very understanding as they did not get that the C4S was to wide and thought I was an idiot oit that could not drive, until I sent her a photo. Luckily there was a hotel down the street that had a modern parking facility that could accomadate the car albeit at €30 a day. Even modern parking garages can be a problem so just be aware. The narrow streets in some place can be a problem but you get used to it. The pay off, glorious autobahn with not speed limits (when there is no traffic and glorious mountain roads, especially in the Alps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You may find this a useful guide for driving in Europe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having done euro delivery on a BMW, am in agreement that navigating the tight parking spots in the cities are challenging and one is generally a few microns from curbing the rims or worse. HOWEVER, it is one **** of an experience and I would do it again!

Best of luck and looking forward to your pictures.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Having done euro delivery on a BMW, am in agreement that navigating the tight parking spots in the cities are challenging and one is generally a few microns from curbing the rims or worse. HOWEVER, it is one **** of an experience and I would do it again!

Best of luck and looking forward to your pictures.
I had a European delivery for two BMWs. I was stationed in Germany. ;)

We have talked about the stresses of driving in Europe - and I agree - but I would rather park my car in some small German village than in my local USA grocery store parking lot. I drove BMWs and Audis in Germany for five years and never got a scratch or a door ding.

I envy anyone who is going to drive in Europe on a European vacation. Enjoy your trip and have "ein großes Bier" for me. Prost!

·
Registered
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (on order)
2 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip! I would echo the suggestions to do some great mountain passes, like Grossglockner or Stelvio. I would personally also include Nürburgring in the itinerary, and if you end up first driving up to Hamburg, it is (sort of) along the route to Barcelona anyway. Rivers Rhein and Mosel are also very nice. For Italy, I would check out Cinque Terre, if that's conveniently on your route.

On driving over here, I don't think the Boxster is a particularly large car for European roads, although the narrow streets and parking spots is of course something to be aware of, especially in Italy. For what it's worth, I never had any parking dings or other issues during the five years I had my 987.2, which is the same width as the 718.

Springtime is a good period to visit as the school holidays haven't yet started, so roads should be (relatively..) uncongested. Still, driving in old big cities is not a lot of fun, and parking can be costly, so I think your decision to take the train from Paris is a good one. :)

·
Registered
2020 Macan & 2021 Cayman S (December 2021 Delivery)
14 Posts
I have a build date of October 15th and queried Porsche about the possibility of European Delivery this fall. The response I received a couple of weeks ago was: "We received instruction that we cannot schedule any new deliveries until next year, as figuring out the existing ones have proven to be difficult to say the least." My guess is that 2022 will open things up for European Delivery. For me, I will pickup at the LA PEC.

·
Registered
2020 Macan & 2021 Cayman S (December 2021 Delivery)
14 Posts
Your trip sounds amazing! Your timing may be perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts