Porsche 718 Forum banner

European front license plate

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  4802 
#1 ·
I just received my personalized front european license plate.

I just have a (possibly stupid question) the mounting holes on the front of my 718 seem to be too far apart to screw in the license plate holder.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount. A good example is the above pictures of the 718's with front european license plates.

Do i need to drill/screw into the body to have it centered??

#2 ·
It's going to be hard for anyone to definitively help you without pictures of the plate holder & the actual plate. You don't need to show the front of the plate, just the back is fine & a shot with both items held up to the front of the car will assist as well. A full compliment of dimensions between fixing centres etc wouldn't go amiss either. Without all the relevant information others would be purely taking a guess.

The only comment I can make is that in the U.K the plate holder screws directly onto the bodywork. It never causes any problem here, as it's always into the plastic & any plates fitted by a future owner will be of the same size & therefore fitment will be absolutely identical. I've yet to see a U.K plate holder that actually lined up with the mounting holes on any vehicle. However for yourself that would effectively rule out fitment of a different sized & shaped plate in future without some minor body repairs being required (two rather nasty screw holes & some lightly scuffed paintwork to be rectified).

#7 · (Edited)
I've thought a little more about this & SKLD is only sticking the plate to an existing holder. I've also looked properly at the pictures & the appearance leaves a lot to be desired (from the front it's O.K, but from the side it looks terrible). If you attempt to affix both the holder to the car & the plate to the holder simply by using velcro it will undoubtedly look even worse, all over the place & a real mess. In addition if any self adhesive velcro adheres to the car to the degree required to make the plate holder secure then the likelihood is that after a few years when you remove it then it will probably damage the car paintwork in any case. On reflection I think it's a very poor solution to your problem & you may just have to bite the bullet & mount them in the recommended & only truly secure manner. It only requires one set of screws & talk of a second set to fit the actual plate is nothing short of nonsense. A small repair to be done at a later date if the next owner wants a different plate arrangement is better than an unsightly mess & the risk of your plate flying off & hitting the car behind. In any case if a future owner has any sense they'll keep the plate holder & just get a plate to fit.

#3 · (Edited)
license plate holder

"Do not fix the license plate holder!" I wrote before delivery to the dealer, but it was always done.
The plate holder on my Boxster is fixed with 2 screws:crying: direct in body. in order to avoid more scews in body, the license plate is fixed on holder with velcro fastener (3M or similar). The velcro fastener is used on the whole site of plate holder and on back of traffic sign. It is placed now since 5 month and used by sun and rain, speed up to 160 miles/hour.

Attachments

#4 ·
"Do not fix the license plate holder!" I wrote before delivery to the dealer, but it was always done.
The plate holder on my Boxster is fixed with 2 screws:crying: direct in body. in order to avoid more scews in body, the license plate is fixed on holder with velcro fastener (3M or similar). The velcro fastener is used on the whole site of plate holder and on back of traffic sign. It is placed now since 5 month and used by sun and rain, speed up to 160 miles/hour.
If you can manage what SKLD suggests then it's got to be better for you than drilling the bodywork, providing of course that you can make it truly secure. Just in case though I'm glad I'll never have to follow you at high speed.

#8 ·
@Chilli

Possibly you understand me not well. The base plate was fixed by dealer or by manufacturer. To use the existing screws on their position is impossible. Accordingly german law you have to place the traffic sign without damage on letters, numbers or seals. In my case the dealer intended to fix an additional traffic sign holder (4 add. screws) or in this case you see on attached picture. Anyway for me are 4 add. drilling in the front are not acceptable and so I did what I did. It is fix and works at high speed.
In some of german forum I saw pictures, the traffic sign was fixed directly on the body. Owners writes it is fixed for years and needs only a polish on paint after removal.

It is my solution and nobody is forced to do this on same way.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
That's a really strange law but it least it now makes some sense as to why you've resorted to velcro. You'd think that given such a law someone would have come up with a number plate holder that avoided simply adding more & more screws. In the U.K we have coloured/colored caps which basically fit over & cover the screw head. These are available to both match the number plate (white or yellow) & also in black should you need to drill the letter/number. When fitted they do not in any way affect the legibility of the plate. Two screws is all it takes & the plate & holder are going nowhere (I even use a special type of security screw to stop easy plate removal without the appropriate tool). For yourself though, wouldn't it be more secure & a neater solution for you to use an ultra high grip double sided tape of some description? (They do make tapes specifically for that purpose). As it is your plate is standing off the holder & I'm rather surprised you'd be happy with that. Bear in mind also the "geemman" would not only have velcro attaching the plate to the holder, but also the holder to the car. If "geemman" goes ahead with velcro it would probably be better just to ditch the plate holder altogether. If it's affixed in that manner it's creating more problems than it's solving because the chances of getting it to sit neatly are so small.

Attachments

#12 ·
https://imgur.com/a/xrJkn

To any forum members with a 718 CS/ access to a 718 CS:
Could someone please measure the distance between the overhanging area of the front bumper and the grill for me? I am trying to get a custom plate holder made for my vehicle.

I have attached a reference photo. If anyone could assist me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

#13 · (Edited)
I was at the OPC today courtesy of a slow puncture caused by a nail. Whilst there I got chatting to a lovely fella who owns several Porsche's including a stunning bright yellow GT3 that he had with him. When his car was brought round from the service bay I couldn't help but notice his numberplate. I've never seen it done before but apparently he does all of his cars using the same method & that method is....................he has a vehicle vinyl wrapping signage company make up the plates & they're just applied to the vehicle & then peeled off when he eventually sells it. No plate holders, no drilling, no velcro, no anything apart from a piece of vinyl wrap. More to the point there's also no mess or marking when the time comes to remove them. Everything was correctly sized with full legibility & it's easily the best solution I've seen to the problem of fitting a plate without drilling. Now why couldn't one of us utter donuts have thought of that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.