Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep had the letter also today, I had the initial one done without question but this time around I’m going write to Porsche HQ and ask for some info on how much this effects the air through-put, ie cross sectional area is reduced. There has to be a point where the more restrictions they add to the inlets will effect power and fuel, the fuel I’m not concerned over but it can’t be great for the engine. Would like to know theyv done their due diligence and carried out Dino testing on before and after….🤔 me thinks probably not, but when you start restric airflow it will make a difference maybe only small but it one reason we buy these cars.
Possibly...but relax. Unlikely this modification would get to the stage of causing a power restriction...

The size area of grille would have to be seriously reduced.

Remember you have a variable restriction all the time. Called the throttle body!
(I guess its about 60-65mm diameter when fully open.)
And it has the butterfly flap inside.
It's works as a restrictor as you drive, and you are changing the butterfly flap position and the airflow with your foot on the throttle.

Even with a fully open throttle, The air intake, airbox and air filter is sized to be able to supply way over what the engine demands at max rpm.
They have to also size it large enough to allow for a really dirty air filter that's gone past it's normal service interval.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bizarre ! Worth a phone call to originators of the letter?
im calling my Leeds dealer this morning to book in - I’ll feedback the outcome
booked in with Porsche Leeds for next week, I asked if they were familiar with the recall letter and the guy chuckled saying he’d booked in almost 30 for this mod in last couple of days!

·
Registered
415 Posts
booked in with Porsche Leeds for next week, I asked if they were familiar with the recall letter and the guy chuckled saying he’d booked in almost 30 for this mod in last couple of days!
Can someone try to take a pic(s)? Looks like UK is ahead of USA based on responses.
Thx!

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
Yep had the letter also today, I had the initial one done without question but this time around I’m going write to Porsche HQ and ask for some info on how much this effects the air through-put, ie cross sectional area is reduced. There has to be a point where the more restrictions they add to the inlets will effect power and fuel, the fuel I’m not concerned over but it can’t be great for the engine. Would like to know theyv done their due diligence and carried out Dino testing on before and after….🤔 me thinks probably not, but when you start restric airflow it will make a difference maybe only small but it one reason we buy these cars.
I've put side screens made from gutter guard behind the side intake grills and noticed no ill effects at all. My dealer re-installed them after the first inlet screen recall.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the letter today and in it it said the job would take approx 1 hour. So I tried booking it into my local dealer which is 40 mins away and said I would wait the 1 hour. I was then told it would take at least 3.5 hrs!
I will not wait around for that amount of time and they will not give me a car. How much work must it be to take 3.5 hrs? As soon as anyone has the upgraded grill fitted can they post it up on here please?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the letter today and in it it said the job would take approx 1 hour. So I tried booking it into my local dealer which is 40 mins away and said I would wait the 1 hour. I was then told it would take at least 3.5 hrs!
I will not wait around for that amount of time and they will not give me a car. How much work must it be to take 3.5 hrs? As soon as anyone has the upgraded grill fitted can they post it up on here please?
It should take about 1 hour.
The dealer is probably also factoring in a quick wash/valet, and more importantly for them, The full inspection to try and find any other work that may need doing (in their opinion) to make money from.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It should take about 1 hour.
The dealer is probably also factoring in a quick wash/valet, and more importantly for them, The full inspection to try and find any other work that may need doing (in their opinion) to make money from.
Agreed - they want it for 3.5 hours though it’ll only take an hour when it suits their day plan and not wanting to be controlled by you!

·
Registered
490 Posts
While I haven't worked at an automotive retailer directly, I have had a long stint working along side them. They don't necessarily want your car for longer than needed but warranty work, general service and the like isn't an exact science. Some jobs only pay out an hour but can take three or something that should be relatively easy can have issues arise where it requires more time to sort out. So having a buffer allows for expectations to be set and also a buffer to ensure the time for checking in, washing the car etc.

As for a loaner, I've always found that if `I needed a loaner I need to book a date where one is available. There was an instance where this couldn't be arrange so instead I called my sales associate and organised an extended test drive in something I hadn't driven yet. That could be an option.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
374 Posts
Here are the intakes on 4.0. I think the upper is air and the lower is cooling fans. Guessing the recall will fit something like this

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
87 Posts

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
87 Posts
Morning all,
Called my local centre yesterday, Car is now booked in for these grilles 1st Feb and they confirmed it would take about 1.5 hours. This plus a clean and wash so I am more than happy to wait and get the car looking nice also.
I will post pics then unless someone gets to it before me :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

For those who don’t know the difference between the new ones and the ones fitted a couple of years ago on the first recall, here is a pic of mine awaiting the latest next week.

looks like 10 slots high on these and 14 on new ones so “slightly” finer - is that 50% finer?

Reactions: Traum and Scrounger

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
Holy cow. That looks a little picayune to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this applicable to Porsche US as well? I just ran the vin on our 2017 Boxster S and it does not show any open recalls but was about to order the RGS parts when I came across this thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those are aftermarket Zunsport grills. that's why above the picture it says this is zunsport's solution to the recall.
RGS grills fit behind the 2 horizontal strakes and look much better integrated to me. Never even thought about cigarettes flying in there...just road shrapnel. I have a 22 CGTS 4.0 but I got the grilles anyway.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
566 Posts
Those are aftermarket Zunsport grills. that's why above the picture it says this is zunsport's solution to the recall.
I actually fitted the zunsport grills, i have the front 3 rad covers as well.
the reason i like the zunsport grill covers is you can remove them in seconds to enable access for cleaning road salt, mud and dirt away.
i have carbon fiber intakes and the grills on the external also protect them from damage.

Car Grille Vehicle Tire Wheel

Cheers
ALB
Automotive parking light Car Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

21 - 40 of 49 Posts