Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got home from driving over something on the road that I couldn't avoid. I think it was a small plank of wood.

I heard it hit the bottom of my car and then the exhaust instantly sounded.... wrong. There also appears to be a loss of power when accelerating.

It looks like it has punctured the protective under-tray and then made a hole in part of the exhaust.

Does anyone know how bad this actually is? I can't quite identify what the part is with the hole in it.

I called my local main dealer and they can't see the car until Tuesday next week.

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Vehicle door Bag Bumper

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You may have well damaged your turbo actuator as well as the exhaust. The actuator located on the turbo is in the middle of the first picture just below the bent bit of under tray.

I'd get into Porsche as soon as you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
iirc the manifolds are about £900 a side.
The centre rear under tray is about £200.
Those prices are before any discounts and if you're so inclined it might be worth a call to your local OPC parts dept to confirm that thinking and also establish what the lead times look like, some parts are on back-order. Assuming those are the only parts needed, you'd then know what you're getting into re getting it fixed.

All the best with sorting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you now have a pre-turbo exhaust leak. This will mean you have less/no boost (exhaust gas bypassing the turbine) and will be much noisier.
You got it spot-on. There is very little power and the noise is terrible. The car is on its way to the dealer now. Insurance might be covering it if all goes well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You got it spot-on. There is very little power and the noise is terrible. The car is on its way to the dealer now. Insurance might be covering it if all goes well.
I was definitely going to recommend checking with your insurance since it was a road hazard and not a maintenance issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Repairs haven't been given the green light by the insurance company yet. They've agreed to cover the repair but I'm just waiting to see if they'll cover the main dealership cost. I've made it clear that I only want it to happen there as that's where everything is done and I trust them to do a good job.

We all diagnosed it spot on here - it needs a new exhaust manifold and metal tray. The initial repair bill came in at £2,234. I think the insurance company is going to attempt to negotiate a better price. I'm chasing them for updates every day to make sure things keep moving forward. They're waiting on a breakdown of costs from the dealership now.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Paper

It's crazy how much I miss the car when it's gone :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update: Repairs haven't been given the green light by the insurance company yet. They've agreed to cover the repair but I'm just waiting to see if they'll cover the main dealership cost. I've made it clear that I only want it to happen there as that's where everything is done and I trust them to do a good job.

We all diagnosed it spot on here - it needs a new exhaust manifold and metal tray. The initial repair bill came in at £2,234. I think the insurance company is going to attempt to negotiate a better price. I'm chasing them for updates every day to make sure things keep moving forward. They're waiting on a breakdown of costs from the dealership now.

View attachment 44902

It's crazy how much I miss the car when it's gone :(
I was going to say that the insurance company can't tell you where to have the vehicle repaired by I see that you are in the UK somewhere and the rules may be different there. One thing about being in the states is our insurance companies have no say where we get our vehicle repaired.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was going to say that the insurance company can't tell you where to have the vehicle repaired by I see that you are in the UK somewhere and the rules may be different there. One thing about being in the states is our insurance companies have no say where we get our vehicle repaired.
I believe it’s the same here. They can’t enforce where you take it but they can argue that their normal pool of ‘approved’ repair shops are cheaper than a main dealer and refuse to pay the full amount.

The good news is that the insurance is willing to cover the full amount and they’ve already sent the cash to my bank account (minus the excess/deductible). I’ll just need to pay the dealer when I collect my car.

The parts were ordered on Thursday and are being sent over from Germany.

Hopefully I’ll be back driving it again soon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts