Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m leasing a 2018 Boxster S. The lease expires this August and I’ll probably buy it then. It has 6000 miles and so far has been great. The original warranty will expire in August 2022. My salesman has strongly urged me to buy an extended warranty because of high Porsche repair costs (of course, the dealer makes money on this). He quoted me $5500 for a 9 year/60,000 mile warranty through Porsche with a $250 deductible. I’m wondering if I need to buy an extended warranty by this August when the lease expires or by August 2022 when the original warranty expires. Also, does anyone have experience/advice about third party extended warranties? I know there are some shaky operators in this business but are there reputable companies? Of course, I also plan to explore other Porsche warranties, including shorter ones, and try to negotiate on the cost. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
What does 9 year warranty mean? Does it end in 2027, 2030 or 2031 (i.e. is the original warranty included in the '9 year', is it 9 years from the end of lease or 9 years from the end of the original warranty)?

Get the answer in writing...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Will the cost of likely repairs exceed the cost of the warranty? Obviously, there is no sure answer to this question just as there is no sure answer if you are going to win or loose at the crap tables. I suggest, the dealers would not so aggressively sell these extended warranties if they did not yield such high profits and the reason they yield such high profits are because the statistics are overwhemingly favorable to them (not you). In other words, in my opinion, if you need to buy the warranty to sleep well at night, it is worth it and you should by it. If there is a risk of a repair that would be financially catastrophic to you, then again I think you should buy it but also question if you can really afford the car. Noone can predict if a repair will be needed that would make you wish you had the warranty but most repairs will not be that expensive and, just like the crap tables, the dealer (the house) is making a sure bet that very few of the extended warranties they sell will not result in a large profit. Just saying.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I’m leasing a 2018 Boxster S. The lease expires this August and I’ll probably buy it then. It has 6000 miles and so far has been great. The original warranty will expire in August 2022. My salesman has strongly urged me to buy an extended warranty because of high Porsche repair costs (of course, the dealer makes money on this). He quoted me $5500 for a 9 year/60,000 mile warranty through Porsche with a $250 deductible. I’m wondering if I need to buy an extended warranty by this August when the lease expires or by August 2022 when the original warranty expires. Also, does anyone have experience/advice about third party extended warranties? I know there are some shaky operators in this business but are there reputable companies? Of course, I also plan to explore other Porsche warranties, including shorter ones, and try to negotiate on the cost. Thanks for any help.
If you want to buy the car at lease end, my knee-jerk reaction is to suggest having the dealer CPO it which would extend the warranty to August 2024 at a nominal cost (ie, $1K-$2K). Beyond that, I agree with Barryng above.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Will the cost of likely repairs exceed the cost of the warranty? Obviously, there is no sure answer to this question just as there is no sure answer if you are going to win or loose at the crap tables. I suggest, the dealers would not so aggressively sell these extended warranties if they did not yield such high profits and the reason they yield such high profits are because the statistics are overwhemingly favorable to them (not you). In other words, in my opinion, if you need to buy the warranty to sleep well at night, it is worth it and you should by it.
Just this.
Insurance companies rarely if ever go broke, so the cost of repairs is unlikely to be more than the premium. Buying the insurance means that at least you have some assurance as to the maximum (and the minimum 😁) you'll pay.
Do read the fine print however, BEFORE purchase.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I purchase a extended warranty from my Porsche dealership in Arizona for 96 months 100,000 miles and 0 deductible for $5,250.00 What they are charging you is Highway robbery you need to check around or try to get a better deal from your dealership.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I purchase a extended warranty from my Porsche dealership in Arizona for 96 months 100,000 miles and 0 deductible for $5,250.00 What they are charging you is Highway robbery you need to check around or try to get a better deal from your dealership.
Follow up: You should not have to pay a deductible if you have purchase the Porsche from the dealership you going to service your vehicle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Follow up: You should not have to pay a deductible if you have purchase the Porsche from the dealership you going to service your vehicle.
My extended warrant is through Porsche not a third party. I would never buy a warranty thru a third party because they do not use original parts to repair your Porsche. The Porsche warranty uses original Porsche parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 9 years is from the original in-service date of the unit. The in-service date is the date you first drove it home from the dealership. Never-Never by any extended warranty from a third party. If you buy one, which I don't believe in, buy it from Porsche. The dealership has plenty of markup on the price you were quoted, perhaps ask or demand a complete free service at the end of the lease term so you start off fresh or a large discount on the contract.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What does 9 year warranty mean? Does it end in 2027, 2030 or 2031 (i.e. is the original warranty included in the '9 year', is it 9 years from the end of lease or 9 years from the end of the original warranty)?

Get the answer in writing...
[/
Correct above
On my 2018 MACAN S 23K, WARRENTY up in November
$4400. 120 months extended, $250 deductible.I’m buying it for sure
They R checking to see if they can sell it out of state
They just did a valve cover oil leak, if out of warranty about $2500
Getting a $ on my 2018 Boxster

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 9 year ‘extended warranty” @$5500 includes the 4 years which come with a new car, so its really another 5 years. The salesman tells me there is no room for negotiation on the warranty price or the $250 deductible (per visit). He also said the warranty is transferable if I sell during the extended warranty term and refundable pro rata if I cancel during the extended term. Any advice? Can I comparison shop for an extended warranty and buy it at another Porsche dealer—a different dealer than the one I’m leasing/buying from? If so, can I still get service under the extended warranty from the leasing/selling dealer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 9 year ‘extended warranty” @$5500 includes the 4 years which come with a new car, so its really another 5 years. The salesman tells me there is no room for negotiation on the warranty price or the $250 deductible (per visit). He also said the warranty is transferable if I sell during the extended warranty term and refundable pro rata if I cancel during the extended term. Any advice? Can I comparison shop for an extended warranty and buy it at another Porsche dealer—a different dealer than the one I’m leasing/buying from? If so, can I still get service under the extended warranty from the leasing/selling dealer?
Yes, you can purchase the warranty from another Porsche dealer. Just make sure the warranty is a Porsche warranty and not a third party warranty that a lot of dealers sell as a alternative.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes u can
But U might have to take it to the dealer who u buy from to verify VIN. and mileage.
I’m waiting to hear from a dealer on this because he quoted me $4379 for 120 months 75 K $250 deductible
He is 1 1/2 hours from me, but it will be worth the trip

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The 9 year ‘extended warranty” @$5500 includes the 4 years which come with a new car, so its really another 5 years. The salesman tells me there is no room for negotiation on the warranty price or the $250 deductible (per visit).
I’m waiting to hear from a dealer on this because he quoted me $4379 for 120 months 75 K $250 deductible
The 9 year warranty that is 5 and the immovable price of $5500 which can be had for $4379, for 60K mi or 75K mi.

Are you guys sure that this is an official Porsche North America warranty or is it whatever the dealer scared up with some insurance company? An e-mail to PNA asking for confirmation might be worthwhile.

I have seen official PNA maintenance contracts in their official website so it doesn't get more official than that. However, I don't think I have seen a (post-4-year-warranty) warranty in Porsche's official site. Can anyone enlighten us?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 9 year warranty that is 5 and the immovable price of $5500 which can be had for $4379, for 60K mi or 75K mi.

Are you guys sure that this is an official Porsche North America warranty or is it whatever the dealer scared up with some insurance company? An e-mail to PNA asking for confirmation might be worthwhile.

I have seen official PNA maintenance contracts in their official website so it doesn't get more official than that. However, I don't think I have seen a (post-4-year-warranty) warranty in Porsche's official site. Can anyone enlighten us?
CALL FRANK GREENSTEIN
(410) 998-3424 direct
PORCHE OF OWING MILLS
absolutely great $ on Safeguard PORCHE WARRENTY
I’m doing my Boxster and MACAN

1 - 19 of 19 Posts