Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it surprising that Porsche decided to throw their brand dillution concerns to the wind and build a Sub Boxster model to specifically go after the low volume Alfa 4C.

Not for anything but that car has prodcution constraints tied to the CF monocoque, they simply cannot compete legitimately from a business perspective.

Then again Porsche has never really behaved like other car companies, perhaps they're still smarting the 4C is liked better than the Cayman ;)>:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I can see people considering the 4C over a cayman. alfa romeo has been doing a good job so far, i heard they might be coming out with a new up segment coupe that will also have a carbon fiber monocoque.

·
Registered
222 Posts
4C will be tough competition for the 718, but I think it is a good idea for Porsche to go after them. They don't want Alfa to actually make a come back. Got to keep them down from Porsche's perspective.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do you really think that the 718 will get CF? I think that material is too expensive for the 718. They won't be able to keep the price down while using materials like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well first of all no one really mentioned CF for the 718 and second the 4C retails in whats expected to be the 718s wheel house. If Alfa can do it why cant porsche?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 4C retails for a least £45k in the UK. The 718 is supposed to be £32k.

So in the UK at least the Boxter is more of a rival to the 4C than what the 718 will be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
With the price of the 4C being so much higher than that of the 718, I think that they won't be direct rivals. Only way I could see it is if the 718 price jumped up quite a bit with options while the 4C is considered complete in its stock form.

·
Registered
459 Posts
With the price of the 4C being so much higher than that of the 718, I think that they won't be direct rivals. Only way I could see it is if the 718 price jumped up quite a bit with options while the 4C is considered complete in its stock form.
I can see people trying to compare a high trim 718 to the 4c, that would be a cool comparison, it might just make the 718 look like the better bang for your buck model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 4C retails for a least £45k in the UK. The 718 is supposed to be £32k.

So in the UK at least the Boxter is more of a rival to the 4C than what the 718 will be.
in North America the 4C goes for $55,195 and the boxster is at $51K

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't see why not, they should, it to me makes sense as people that want it, really want it and probably won't mind paying a small bit extra to get it, i know i would.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also think that when you put the 718 head to head against the 4C that weight is going to be a big factor The 4C uses lots of carbon fiber. Is the 718 going to be able to keep up with that?

·
Registered
459 Posts
When it comes to weight, the 718 might get beat, but then again the 4c is set to be a $50k car while the 718 is supposed to be way below that. Something else to factor in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess the price differential makes sense considering the materials. Its not like carbon fiber is cheap. Maybe they can come out with a carbon fiber package or something. I have a feeling there will be plenty of options to upgrade the 718 from its base.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will be interesting. The Cayman is hearalded as the better day to day car over the 4C, but with the 718 expected to be a stripped down experience the porsche may not hold the advantage any longer...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts