Porsche 718 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastest You Have Gone In Your Cayman?

16K views 154 replies 59 participants last post by  EliasElias 
122 on Interstate 81 in Tenn last June passing some trucks. Wasn't paying attention to the speed; was watching the trucks turn signals and front wheels for any erratic lane changes (they were all doing about 74 when I went for the pass). Just happened to look down at the digial speed when I cleared the last truck (can't see the analog needle from my seat position) and (in this order) : felt my sphincter tighten, gulp, whoops, foot off the right pedal, looked around for flashing lights, looked up for low flying aircraft (we are talking about Bumblebee where the top is nary up), moved over the right lane, breathe. All of which took about two seconds......
In retrospect my impression was that speed is a non entity in these P-cars. They could run in the 150's all day long and not bat an eyelash. Truly amazing machines.

Memory lane:
Back in the day.... 1973.... My Porsche 911 had recently arrived in the States after I put the 6000 + miles on it in Europe. Was living in Miami at the time. Headed up the Sunshine State Parkway (don't think I-95 existed back then) on a beautiful sunny Florida day. Turnpike traffic was sparce at 2PM; was doing 95 in the posted 75 keeping an eye out for Florida Highway Patrol; passing through Palm Beach County. Noticed a large presence of FHP ahead and slowed down to the required 75 well before any radar, etc. could get me. And, to my surprise they indicated for me to pull over.
Got me with aircraft radar/spotter plane.... Dang.... Hard to fight that one.....
Court date was set for the following month at Palm Beach Court House. Found a street parking spot near the Court. Case was called. I'm standing in front of the judge who looks up from my paperwork/ticket.
"Let's see....light traffic....car is built for those speeds....no unruly driving reported....$15.00 court fine and no points. Have a good day Sir." He then leaned forward and whispered "By the way, I have a Porsche." with a grin.
Paid the fine. Went back to my car and noticed my spot was on the street next to the court parking lot. Sitting there in a spot designated for judge's was a beautiful Targa.
These threads sure bring back the memories.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.