Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My maximum was in Suzuki Liana 1.6l engine, 76kW - 170 km/h. That's a maximum I could get on a long stretch of road going slightly downhill :D
As for my current Audi A4 - did not even test the max speed as I know the car is capable of more than what is safe on Estonian roads. I am typically cruising at 130 km/h on highways.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I did 155 mph (249.kph) on a BMW motorcycle on the autobahn. I had to draft a big S class Mercedes to do it. I don't think I will do that again.
I got a 911IS up to about 150 mph at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Lots of fun.
But I take it easy in my 718 on the highway because I don't feel like I have anything to prove.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Cayman, about 125. Where I live it is hard to hit real high speeds without be a danger to oneself and others let alone the risk of going to jail. In Germany outside of Freiburg I hit 176 in a 991.2 GTS. I agree, once you hit 150 the sense of speed really kicks in and any imperfection in the road will make you pucker up.Cruising at 120 to 140 is comfortable. Rentals I’ve had in Germany get scary at about 120. Being closer to the cars limit makes it scary and at that speed you tend to get lift. Good aero at that speed is your friend. View attachment 47370
6 years ago we bought our daughter a Feista St (fun little car.) called it Mario car. It was blue with black stripes. Anyway my husband and I were in it coming back from Az and at 140s the car caught air just enough in a super slight long turn and it left the right lane and next thing we know we were at the edge of the left lane with the driver tires slightly in the dirt. Got that on video too. 🤦🏽‍♀️😂 lesson… no top speed runs in cars like that on roads you don’t know. Vince said “holy **** I felt that in my Dick.” 😂😂😂🤦🏽‍♀️ I stopped recording right when he hit the dirt but he kept it on the road. Thank god he is a skilled driver. I’m not gonna lie “no regrets” I love going fast and that “oh **** feeling.” Bonnie and Clyde till the end. 💜❤

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
This might sound od, but nope.
Been driving in Germany alot with crusing speed at 250km/h so i guess i am used to it.
And in Sweden late evenings it tends to go fast to :)

The fact that i trust my self and the cars performance shows when people want to race on the motorway.
Most people let go at 250 and no one have followed beyond 270 as of yet.
ya that’s more my husband.. 💯

I love speed but really start thinking about things after150mph. My husband will enter a freeway at 150 and be like. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He just drives fast. But when there are cars he isn’t the pole position asshole blowing through cars type. Those people drive me nuts. Almost always in crap cars too. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤬

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
842 Posts
That’s crazy we have Waze gps and in both my Porsches and the gps is within a mile at 145. I know tire size changes these numbers significantly like that.
If you have two Porsches with accurate speedometers at 145 mph, you should have them entered into the Porsche museum as they are unicorns. I just got off the phone with a business colleague who is from Germany and has a couple of hundred Nurburgring laps under his belt. His wife's cousin is Walter Rohrl. When I asked him about the speedometer error, he said it is well known, intentional and across all models, equipped with OEM wheels and tires from the factory. From his laps at the Nurburgring and with very accurate digital timing, an "indicated" 160 is barely above an "actual" 150 on his GT2. He reminded me that C&D or Road and Track used to test and report speedometer accuracy as part of their road tests and Porsche was one of the worst.

I can't speculate on how/why Waze is matching your speedometer. I don't think they are owned by Porsche ;) However, cell phone based GPS is not nearly as accurate as the DeLorme GPS unit that plugged into my laptop. That unit, which also gave elevation readings, could tell the 10' elevation difference between my sitting on our second floor deck or standing a few feet away on our back yard.

·
Registered
446 Posts
6 years ago we bought our daughter a Feista St (fun little car.) called it Mario car. It was blue with black stripes. Anyway my husband and I were in it coming back from Az and at 140s the car caught air just enough in a super slight long turn and it left the right lane and next thing we know we were at the edge of the left lane with the driver tires slightly in the dirt. Got that on video too. 🤦🏽‍♀️😂 lesson… no top speed runs in cars like that on roads you don’t know. Vince said “holy ** I felt that in my Dick.” 😂😂😂🤦🏽‍♀️ I stopped recording right when he hit the dirt but he kept it on the road. Thank god he is a skilled driver. I’m not gonna lie “no regrets” I love going fast and that “oh ** feeling.” Bonnie and Clyde till the end. 💜❤
Yeah, That’s why they have racetracks – closed courses, where they make sure no animals or cars cross the road when you’re going 140 mph. You’re putting yourself and daughter at risk and also setting a bad example that speeding over 140 mph is ok. Not a good idea go to the track if you like to drive over 100 mph. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Harping on why you all new car buyers should be taking Euro delivery - an indicated 245 kph on the autobahn after 2,000km - My son driving - we passed a patrol car at about 100mph and a brief moment of panic/clarity passed.
"He's not following us!"
Adding velocity above that (indicated 150 mph) was time and distance consuming, so with closing speeds increasing and gains diminishing that was the point to shut down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S in Gentian Blue
33 Posts
Front straight of Bridgehampton in F40 - 189 MPH.

As for the Cayman, I have not had on the track yet but I expect the front straight of Summit Point main to be in the 140+ range.
what a great experience! The F40 has been my dream car since it was first released. I’d feel like I’d won the lottery if I saw one in person!
When I got my CS, I said I would sell it if my daughter went into grad school. My kiddo said she would get my dream car for me when she was an established dentist. I told her my dream car wasn’t the Porsche but the F40, and a good example is $1.5 million US. She re worded “dream car” to another CS! 🤣

I haven’t gone very fast in my CS. I love flying through curves though. I have a 20mph curve near my house and I’ve been testing my skills and the capabilities of the car. Steadily, the speed that I come out of the curve has gone up. Last time, I came out of the curve at 68mph and felt her ass starting to come around on me so I think I may have hit the limit.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If you have two Porsches with accurate speedometers at 145 mph, you should have them entered into the Porsche museum as they are unicorns. I just got off the phone with a business colleague who is from Germany and has a couple of hundred Nurburgring laps under his belt. His wife's cousin is Walter Rohrl. When I asked him about the speedometer error, he said it is well known, intentional and across all models, equipped with OEM wheels and tires from the factory. From his laps at the Nurburgring and with very accurate digital timing, an "indicated" 160 is barely above an "actual" 150 on his GT2. He reminded me that C&D or Road and Track used to test and report speedometer accuracy as part of their road tests and Porsche was one of the worst.

I can't speculate on how/why Waze is matching your speedometer. I don't think they are owned by Porsche ;) However, cell phone based GPS is not nearly as accurate as the DeLorme GPS unit that plugged into my laptop. That unit, which also gave elevation readings, could tell the 10' elevation difference between my sitting on our second floor deck or standing a few feet away on our back yard.
[/QUOTE

Well that was a lot of clout throwing for Speedo discussion. 🤦🏽‍♀️😆 wow!! Anyway I promise you the Porsche Speedo is not off by 10 miles at 150 or 160.. That’s just insane especially since they are always a mile or two off from not just waze but gps on an app on my phone I have used many times. Are you willing to put some money on it? I’ll send you a video and at 160 + the Speedo will show with only a couple miles an hour off what wayz or the app gps shows. As a matter afact IG used to have it before they got sued. And it was always withen a couple miles an hour. Seems with all the “I know so and so”
this is just a means to throw your “I knows around.” 🤦🏽‍♀️ Because what your saying is not accurate at all… I actually watched a video of a run the other night “just now” while writing this (that my husband recorded) and it’s 3 miles an hour at most through the entire clip and some of that is likely gps delay. Anyway your a funny guy. Mr well I know. 💁🏽‍♀️😂😂😂😂😂😂 and he said, and we were just talking about: 🤦🏽‍♀️😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

So was talking to my husband about what you said and he said “your correct” hold on.. hold on.. ✋🏼 before you say see you dumb girl. 😉😆😂 he said it’s only a few miles an hour off when we are holding speed (like a video I have cruising at 124ish,) the waze says is two miles an hour off. But he pointed out in the video when we are accelerating with the gps there can be a considerable delay in the MPH shown on the phone or Waze etc. As much as you say it’s Speedo issue I actually looked up online and all gps is known for this.. it’s explained by how they get your location and the delays involved (all sorts of calculations to get it.) But once you keep a steady speed (as long as your tires are calibrated to your car setting in the dash) the gps will catch up. But when you speeding up… slowing down “over and over on a track” ya for sure gps will always read faster. Anyway point is if you are driving a brand new Porsche doing 160 and in fact 💯 you are only going 150.. well that car is broken. 💁🏽‍♀️😂 (the Speedo.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
This might sound od, but nope.
Been driving in Germany alot with crusing speed at 250km/h so i guess i am used to it.
And in Sweden late evenings it tends to go fast to :)

The fact that i trust my self and the cars performance shows when people want to race on the motorway.
Most people let go at 250 and no one have followed beyond 270 as of yet.
Of course you can use to it!
Btw most cars are limited to 250

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
You've gone way faster than me, but just curious as to whether you've checked the (notorious) amount of Porsche speedometer error at those high speeds?
I have been informed that international agreements specify that speedometers read a minimum of 4kph fast. I know that is enshrined in Australian Law (Design regulations). My speedo is dead on that up to 110kph.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
41 - 60 of 93 Posts