Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
209 Posts
Fastest You Have Gone In Your Cayman?
0. Never been in one. :)

In my Boxster, a couple times to upper 80's mph--I have no need nor desire to go faster on roads here where I drive (the risk to myself and others goes way up given how others aren't expecting such difference of speed).

Someday if I find myself on a long, straight, flat, emptiness of road... then I'd likely be able to respond differently to the question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to push the car flat out a couple of times on the Auto Bahn in Germany. However, my top speed recorded is always way in excess of what the car could possibly do. I have reset the PCM a few times and always get the same result. According to the brief glance analog speedometer it was around 170mph. Any ideas what this fault could be and how to fix it?
Wheel Vehicle Car Font Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
842 Posts
I have been fortunate enough to push the car flat out a couple of times on the Auto Bahn in Germany. However, my top speed recorded is always way in excess of what the car could possibly do. I have reset the PCM a few times and always get the same result. According to the brief glance analog speedometer it was around 170mph. Any ideas what this fault could be and how to fix it? View attachment 47407
According to a book I'm reading on Einstein's theory of general relativity, it's not that your car is going faster than it appears, it's that time is going slower. But I'm only halfway through the book, and haven't gotten to the section on how to adjust Porsche's internal clocks.

In the meantime, I'd just keep posting that screenshot as though it was real. And enjoy the fact that when you are going that fast, you are aging slower than the rest of us stuck doing 55.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,053 Posts
What bugs me is that my tires are rated to 186 mph. I've not approached that, but ...

• Haha
Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
145 Posts
After going through this string, I feel like I haven't 'pushed' my car enough. I have only achieved 152 so I guess I need to find a track with longer straights or significantly improve my driving. I would say I should look for a good, quiet highway but I 'think' my days of 140/150(+) on public roads are behind me.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
842 Posts
After going through this string, I feel like I haven't 'pushed' my car enough. I have only achieved 152 so I guess I need to find a track with longer straights or significantly improve my driving. I would say I should look for a good, quiet highway but I 'think' my days of 140/150(+) on public roads are behind me.
OK, so I've been holding back on my feelings/comments about how exhilarating it is to test the top speed of one's car. I accept and respect that that may be the cat's meow for some. But for me, the handling and ability to make a Porsche "dance" is what toots my horn. And so I am compelled to post, once again, what I think makes Porsche great. And drivers great. I'll leave it for others to opine for themselves as to whether top speed or "dancing" is more impressive, but I think you all know where I stand given my repeated posting of this video...

Long live Chloe...figuratively, and literally.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Harping on why you all new car buyers should be taking Euro delivery - an indicated 245 kph on the autobahn after 2,000km - My son driving - we passed a patrol car at about 100mph and a brief moment of panic/clarity passed.
"He's not following us!"
Adding velocity above that (indicated 150 mph) was time and distance consuming, so with closing speeds increasing and gains diminishing that was the point to shut down.

After seeing multiple colleagues of mine coming outside of Europe driving in highways/autobahn I strongly disagree to encourage the European delivery with "autobahn blast"

Driving fast in traffic is waaay more than just push the pedal to metal. You have to use to it especially to judge other`s speed, the braking distance and the overall behavior of the car at high speed.
I feel it irresponsible to drive above 160kph for anybody who is not used to drive fast in traffic.
Even track experience is not enough to handle situation when for example a ..manian car trailer goes to the middle lane without turn signal (and mirror) and a big SUV is in your ass. Do the emergency braking but in the mean time watch the mirror to avoid being kissed in your butt. ABS kicking in above 200 can be surprising too.

Autobahn in general is really safe i think, but it`s a community dance and if you don't know all the moves you can found yourself sitting on the side.
Going to Eastern Europe highway, that`s the shredder ;)

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
~150 on the back straight at COTA. My last glance saw 148, but was still accelerating for a second or two prior to shutting down for the hairpin turn 12. But that doesn't qualify, because I was in the Boxster.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
After seeing multiple colleagues of mine coming outside of Europe driving in highways/autobahn I strongly disagree to encourage the European delivery with "autobahn blast"
A few years ago I was in Germany with several business colleagues, one of whom was German and a resident. We had to drive from Munich to Dusseldorf one evening after leaving a business site late. We rode in his VW somethingorother, a souped up mini SUV with a model name that began with T (sorry, I can't keep the names straight) and had turbos. We spent much of the trip with him driving at 250kph. He knew what he was doing. So did everyone else on the road, or so it seemed. We spent most of the trip in the left lane, pulled into the center lane occasionally to be passed by a Ferrari or similar. Otherwise it was an uneventful trip.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A few years ago I was in Germany with several business colleagues, one of whom was German and a resident resident. We had to drive fro Munich to Dusseldorf one evening after leaving a business site late. We rode in his VW somethingorother, a souped up mini SUV with a model name that began with T (sorry, I can't keep the names straight) and had turbos. We spent much of the trip with him driving at 250kph. He knew what he was doing. So did everyone else on the road, or so it seemed. We spent most of the trip in the left lane, pulled into the center lane occasionally to be passed by a Ferrari or similar. Otherwise it was an uneventful trip.
Wow. Tiguan?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It was a Touareg, I am sure. They have several different engines, powerful ones too (3L turbo) , big diesel 4L included and with turbo's as well.

The Cayenne is build on Touareg and the Macan is on Q5

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok guys what’s the fastest you have ever taken your Cayman up to? I know these pics are of my 2020 9YA Turbo but I came across them while trying to find a high speed run with my Farrah. Unfortunately the fastest I could find was 154 and it’s blurry.😥

The fastest I’ve gone in my 718 though is 189mph limiter removed Sam at by design’s tune) and I plan on hitting 200 MPH with the 6XX that I’ve got being built rn. Top speed in my 9ya is 203 but I’ve only got video of 192 with the hubby riding shot gun while recording. Dumb iPhone ran out of space and stopped recording. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤬 (APR 100 octane tune)

OK IF YOUR GONNA TALK TRASH TAKE IT SOME WHERE ELSE. Sheesh!! this thread is for people who live for the thrill of speed and do it in places that they only put their own lives in danger. Ya I know it’s dangerous but it’s thrilling and it’s what we like to do. 💁🏽‍♀️ I know I’m not the only one who tops out their cars in the middle of no where every-once in a while… “so let’s hear it.”

WHATS YOUR NUMBER?!
One pic is only so you can see it’s me driving (not someone else) and for those that can’t resist saying that I’m dumb because of other people on the road or whatever. You can clearly see we got a spot (in another land far far away) where there are never any other cars and it’s 6 miles of long, straight and smooth road. 💜

View attachment 47355
View attachment 47357 View attachment 47359
View attachment 47358
157.8mph (254kph) down the Fuji Speedway straight heading towards turn 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Driving fast in traffic is waaay more than just push the pedal to metal. You have to use to it especially to judge other`s speed, the braking distance and the overall behavior of the car at high speed.
I feel it irresponsible to drive above 160kph for anybody who is not used to drive fast in traffic.
Even track experience is not enough to handle situation when for example a ..manian car trailer goes to the middle lane without turn signal (and mirror) and a big SUV is in your ass. Do the emergency braking but in the mean time watch the mirror to avoid being kissed in your butt. ABS kicking in above 200 can be surprising too.

Autobahn in general is really safe i think, but it`s a community dance and if you don't know all the moves you can found yourself sitting on the side.
Going to Eastern Europe highway, that`s the shredder ;)
Point taken. This was late in the evening with sparse traffic. We backed off when closing on other cars. I assume (foolishly?) that community members have common sense and a self preservation instinct.
BTW - Taking delivery in Leipzig, you get to drive a comparable model on their track, where we reached about 125mph before braking heavily. Strongly recommended before testing the car's limits in the wild.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If the binnacle hasn't turned red on you and binged loudly to warn you of your speed and tyre pressures, you didn't go fast enough! One thing I do know. the cruise control has its limitations

Speedometer Motor vehicle Light Gauge Odometer

61 - 80 of 93 Posts