Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten used to keyless entry on my current car and so I figured I'd option it on the Cayman, however during a recent chat with a 911 owner at the local dealership he referred to Entry and Drive as an "annoying" option. Does anyone have any thoughts on how it might be annoying? I'm aware that it could be a pain when washing the car but for the 2022MY the front and rear trunks are no longer connected to E&D so that's a moot point for me.

I will say that I've driven my brother's car without keyless entry and it can be frustrating walking up to the car expecting the door to unlock only to have to stand there and fish the key out of your pocket. At the same time though on a car like this Cayman that won't be a full time daily driver it might be nice to have the little bit of theater of having to get the key out then insert it and turn it. I'm probably overthinking things... 馃槀

Anyways, has anyone ordered E&D and regretted it? Not ordered it and later wished they had? Any feedback is welcome!

Registered
I've gotten used to keyless entry on my current car and so I figured I'd option it on the Cayman, however during a recent chat with a 911 owner at the local dealership he referred to Entry and Drive as an "annoying" option. Does anyone have any thoughts on how it might be annoying? I'm aware that it could be a pain when washing the car but for the 2022MY the front and rear trunks are no longer connected to E&D so that's a moot point for me.

I will say that I've driven my brother's car without keyless entry and it can be frustrating walking up to the car expecting the door to unlock only to have to stand there and fish the key out of your pocket. At the same time though on a car like this Cayman that won't be a full time daily driver it might be nice to have the little bit of theater of having to get the key out then insert it and turn it. I'm probably overthinking things... 馃槀

Anyways, has anyone ordered E&D and regretted it? Not ordered it and later wished they had? Any feedback is welcome!
E&D works fine. It's only an annoying option if you didn't want it.
MOO

Registered

Too used to vehicles with E&D type of functionality to go without.

Reactions: 75north

Registered
It鈥檚 surprising that it鈥檚 even an option. It should just come standard.

I figured out an innovative solution to the trunk/frunk problem when washing the car: remove the keys from my pocket.
I agree that it should be an option to not have it and installed as standard equipment. The ( ahumm, in my NY voice ) The friggin' car cost almost a hundred grand! They should have someone open and close the doors for you!

Easy way to defeat the trunk/frunk popping is LEAVE THE KEY IN THE CAR ;)

Love E&D on my vehicles. As for E&D not working with the hatches in MY2022 and beyond, well that's a bummer. Porsche hierarchy respond to things in a very strange way. I'm sure this change is based on reading this very forum lol

Registered
2018 Cayman S

All my cars have E&D. Just bought a Cayman S with it. It works great. Would not buy a car without it. Leave the key out of range when washing the car if it is a problem for you. Only thing I don鈥檛 like about is you have to turn a dummy key, not push a button, to start the car. Opening the front and rear lids with a touch of the hand is GREAT. If they eliminated that in 2022 I am glad I opted not to buy a new car.

Reactions: Swdea

Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
I had heard the 2022 models eliminate the "wave your hand to pop frunk / hatch". I will agree with @75north in that I like the "theater" of turning the key (left side!). It is "old school" fun to me. Stick shift and all. I doubt many other people would care, but I am a weirdo I guess.

Registered
2018 Cayman S 6MT
I've had my 718 S for about 3 weeks now, and I'm still not used to needing to unlock the door with my key fob :LOL:; guess I got pretty used to E&D. Though I agree with Graustark: I kind of like turning the the key.

Registered
2021 Boxster
"I have a key around here somewhere!" Question answered. It's a personal preference.

Registered
From the alternate-viewpoint department; We have E&D on our Chrysler Pacifica. I don't like it, wish we didn't. Oh, it is convenient to be able to walk up and just open a locked door, sort of like magic. But if I have a key in my pocket I can never tell if I remembered to lock the doors. I've been known to forget,especially if we've been unloading a bunch of stuff. I have to walk away, put the key down, walk back to the car and try the door, then go pick up the key again. Or fish in my pocket for the key (which I may already have done and which we're trying to avoid with E&D in the first place), and hit the lock button (which I have already have done). If I've already annoyed the neighbors by beeping the horn once, this does it again. I'd rather just be able to check the doors the old-fashioned way - As Yogi Bera would have said, "You can check if the doors are locked just by tryin' 'em."

Registered
I have to weigh in on the side of really liking the system and am now spoiled by it. I have it on both my SUV and Boxster and will order it on whatever the next car purchase will be if it is not already standard. The thought of having to fish a FOB out of my pocket to push a button seems so very pedestrian.

Now, jimmuller's post above about forgetting to lock the car can be a valid point. However, surprisingly, for me, I rarely ever leave any of the cars unlocked. My short term memory has always sucked and going back lots of years I have always forgot stuff and needed to always carry a notebook with me and kept copious notes. My GF commented a few nights ago she is concerned because she has no way of discerning if I am developing Alzheimer's.

Registered
From the alternate-viewpoint department; We have E&D on our Chrysler Pacifica. I don't like it, wish we didn't. Oh, it is convenient to be able to walk up and just open a locked door, sort of like magic. But if I have a key in my pocket I can never tell if I remembered to lock the doors. I've been known to forget,especially if we've been unloading a bunch of stuff. I have to walk away, put the key down, walk back to the car and try the door, then go pick up the key again. Or fish in my pocket for the key (which I may already have done and which we're trying to avoid with E&D in the first place), and hit the lock button (which I have already have done). If I've already annoyed the neighbors by beeping the horn once, this does it again. I'd rather just be able to check the doors the old-fashioned way - As Yogi Bera would have said, "You can check if the doors are locked just by tryin' 'em."
Jim:
Set your car up to fold the mirrors in on lock. That way you can tell by looking if it's locked or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For us in the UK, E&D is one of the main ways thrives will take your car using a scanner to boost the keys signal from inside your house to your car. This is the main reason I didn鈥檛 spec it.
I remember when I got my Fiesta ST that a lot of the UK-based owners warned about the keyless go system for this reason. I have to say I have never heard of this happening in the US. I'm sure someone, somewhere is doing it but it's definitely not a widespread problem.

Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
I have it and love it. Like @jimmuller I often forget if I've swiped my finger on the handle to lock it, but when I go back, I know if I didn't because the little blinking lights on the door aren't flashing. So it is just the exercise part that bugs me. I like the key stub, and if I ever want to secure the car in public, all you have to do is turn the key three times and the gauge will tell you to pull it out. Without a start button, that seems pretty secure, which also prevents those scanner types from driving off although it doesn't secure the items in the car. For that, I have a Faraday key pouch.

Registered
Anyone with E&D that feels they sometimes forget to LOCK the doors, should just use the fob each time to lock them. With no E&D spec'd you would have to do that any way. For me the E&D is valuable when returning to my vehicles, whether I have packages in hand or I'm dodging rain or even worse, both.

Registered
Get it, I wouldnt own a car without a keyless entry. Sure every now and then the frunk or hatch may pop open if you wash your car but the solution is to not have the key in your pocket. Would not buy this car without entry and drive. It does what its supposed to do period.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts