Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the firing order is for the new 718 4 cylinder engines? Also what is the layout of cylinders 1 through 4?
Possibly this has been answered before, but curious to know location of cylinder 3 as I recently had a misfire code.

Thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ZuffenHouseRules for your reply.
The dealer did a great job diagnosing and correcting the misfire problem..(Kudos to Daniel and his techs at Porsche Kelowna) but I'm always eager to learn the mechanicals of my vehicles.

· Registered
796 Posts
Cylinder numbering
Right bank front-to-back: 1,2
Left (driver's side) f-t-b: 3,4

Firing order:
3-4-1-2
Is this confirmed? I am not saying it is wrong. It is just unconventional but may be the way Porsche do it. Typically the cylinders are numbered from the furthest from output shaft to gearbox (flywheel side) back towards the output in order. So on a flat engine, the cylinder numbers alternate from side to side (even numbered cylinders on one side and odd on the other). I believe Porsche runs the typical flat 4 firing order (Subaru/VW) of 1,3,2,4 which is different to straight 4s which are typically 1,3,4,2. On the flat 4 it means that cylinders on one side are fired in succession followed by the cylinders from the other side which is the same as the firing order above.... just unusual labelling of cylinder positions.

· Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
611 Posts
Air cooled Porsche sixes were also numbered this way - 1, 2, 3 on one side, 4, 5, 6 on the other. Flipped around because of the difference from rear and mid mounting, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts