Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short update on the Spyder with early impressions!

For context this is my 6th Porsche, since arriving at this marque I have never desired anything other than a mid-engine car and only those with a drop top… 986, 987, 981 and 982

I had expected that the bump in power would satisfy the desire for more and that the GT suspension and its more recent tuning for these cars bring a road experience that differed from the previous ones. I can easily say that this car surprised me, I figured it would feel close to what I had before with a little more grunt, WOW was I wrong, the Spyder feels like a completely different car, a new experience!

The power is smooth and linear and always there no matter the gear, other than that pesky up-arrow in the cluster you would forget that you needed to shift. Recently I did one of my local ‘go-to’ roads, a twisty undulating country affair with some decent elevation changes and even off camber turns, I quickly settled into second gear and found with the abundance of torque I could simple concentrate on the road and enjoy each turn or straight as it appeared, so far the supposed long gearing is not a problem. Oh and the clutch feel is amazing, precise and very easy to modulate, I don’t know what they changed but I have never been happier with a MT clutch combination, it is incredible!

I opted for the PCCB brakes and have installed lighter weight forged wheels, the way this GT3 suspension reacts to the road is sublime, it smooths them out but holds those tires in place for incredible feel and accuracy, I thought that my GTS handled well but this Spyder is up another couple of levels, I can’t wait for break-in to be completed so I can try it out at our local track in a few spirited runs. I am not planning to track this car, only explore and learn with it at the track so that I can better understand what to expect and how to take advantage of it on the back roads that I bought this for.

The other few items which seem to come up repeatedly about these cars and provides for mixed reviews, first the sound, as I am still breaking it in I have not explored the upper rev range so for now the exhaust sound is not very impressive, but there are reports that as you break it in the sound improves and even more so above 4K RPM. The second item is LWBS, I love the look, and they hold you in without having to constantly brace yourself against the door or console (which I always did in the GTS), for me and my wife they are very comfortable and supportive. There is one downside, they are a pain to get in and out of, the side bolster is high and you have to drop in and climb out, practice makes perfect so more is required and as the driver I must slide my seat all the way back for this process or you kick the heck out of the lower door! The third item is the top, it is a work of art when it is up and completely out of sight when down, its operation is however a bit of a chore, not stowing it but putting it up. This is going to take a bit more patience and practice, also the fabric is a bit tight so it is not easy to bring the latch close enough to the windshield to catch, it is hoped that the fabric will relax a little and this should become easier.

Overall I couldn’t be happier, the car is everything I had hoped and more, refined and even more capable that I expected, easy to drive and so engaging that I have yet to turn on the radio or even set in the FM stations, all I have been doing is driving and learning this new Spyder, when the entire engine range becomes available I think I will be in nirvana!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for the initial impressions. If I could add one more car to my Porsche garage this would be it.

I have heard it mentioned that the longer ratios are less of an issue this time around as the additional torque and power offset things.

How noticeable is it when three of the cylinders deactivate at low speed/load?

My 'dream' Spyder spec included the folding buckets as I preferred the look of them and felt they might be more comfortable and practical (not to mention cheaper), so i'm disappointed to see they are no longer available.

Thanks for the great photos. The car looks awesome!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations and thanks for the initial impressions. If I could add one more car to my Porsche garage this would be it.

I have heard it mentioned that the longer ratios are less of an issue this time around as the additional torque and power offset things.

How noticeable is it when three of the cylinders deactivate at low speed/load?

My 'dream' Spyder spec included the folding buckets as I preferred the look of them and felt they might be more comfortable and practical (not to mention cheaper), so i'm disappointed to see they are no longer available.

Thanks for the great photos. The car looks awesome!
Thank-you! Regarding the cylinder deactivation, you can hear more than feel it as it drops the frequency of the exhaust note noticeably, any slight additional pressure on the throttle immediately puts all cylinders back into operation. As for the LW folding buckets, IIRC they were available elsewhere in the world, just not US/Canada?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thank-you! Regarding the cylinder deactivation, you can hear more than feel it as it drops the frequency of the exhaust note noticeably, any slight additional pressure on the throttle immediately puts all cylinders back into operation. As for the LW folding buckets, IIRC they were available elsewhere in the world, just not US/Canada?
Thanks for the additional info. I am rather envious as I think the Spyder is possibly the best/most desirable car Porsche currently make.

The folding buckets were were certainly available here but have now disappeared from the configurator. Having said that this coincided with an NZ$8k reduction in the base price of the car, which could be offset against the 918 buckets. Anyway it's rather academic for me at this stage as, while the Spyder is tempting, I have no plans to give up my Carrera T and would only buy one as a weekend car, but that wouldn't be a wise move right now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional info. I am rather envious as I think the Spyder is possibly the best/most desirable car Porsche currently make.

The folding buckets were were certainly available here but have now disappeared from the configurator. Having said that this coincided with an NZ$8k reduction in the base price of the car, which could be offset against the 918 buckets. Anyway it's rather academic for me at this stage as, while the Spyder is tempting, I have no plans to give up my Carrera T and would only buy one as a weekend car, but that wouldn't be a wise move right now.
Cheers to this as well, I have always enjoyed my mid engine cars and this new Spyder certainly hits all of the right notes in engineering and looks and it would seem all of the neighborhood kids agree! I have been a car guy since before I had my drivers license, working in the machine shop with my dad (an automotive engine rebuilder and race car builder) even building a dune buggy in Power Mechanics class at the age of 14. Recently after a 38 career in IT the opportunity to retire presented itself and with the Spyder already on the way it seemed like a great time to make every day a weekend day! ;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Retire early! Now i'm even more envious ;)
...early retirement is highly recommended.

I 'retired' the first time when I was 48... Didn't last long, I was too young and stupid.

Second time I was 55. Didn't choose to retire, it was 2008... I didn't cry too much about it, we proceeded to enjoy retired life, until the fateful time in 2011 we decided to spend a year in Manhattan.

I ran into my former boss and mentor who lured me back into the fray. In 2013 oil started going downhill and we both retired... For good...(y)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wow.. very nice spec with the carbon buckets and leather interior package with yellow stitching. It really sets it off asthetically and of course ties it in nicely with your carbon ceramics, which look massive by the way! Aside from the great performance benefits of reducing unsprung weight. You've really gone to town with the options so I guessing there will be no regrets!

I really like the aggressive front end on the Spyder/GT4.

How high does the front lip measure off the ground to the underneath? I understand it is a little shorter on the Spyder than the GT4?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Short update on the Spyder with early impressions!

For context this is my 6th Porsche, since arriving at this marque I have never desired anything other than a mid-engine car and only those with a drop top… 986, 987, 981 and 982

I had expected that the bump in power would satisfy the desire for more and that the GT suspension and its more recent tuning for these cars bring a road experience that differed from the previous ones. I can easily say that this car surprised me, I figured it would feel close to what I had before with a little more grunt, WOW was I wrong, the Spyder feels like a completely different car, a new experience!

The power is smooth and linear and always there no matter the gear, other than that pesky up-arrow in the cluster you would forget that you needed to shift. Recently I did one of my local ‘go-to’ roads, a twisty undulating country affair with some decent elevation changes and even off camber turns, I quickly settled into second gear and found with the abundance of torque I could simple concentrate on the road and enjoy each turn or straight as it appeared, so far the supposed long gearing is not a problem. Oh and the clutch feel is amazing, precise and very easy to modulate, I don’t know what they changed but I have never been happier with a MT clutch combination, it is incredible!

I opted for the PCCB brakes and have installed lighter weight forged wheels, the way this GT3 suspension reacts to the road is sublime, it smooths them out but holds those tires in place for incredible feel and accuracy, I thought that my GTS handled well but this Spyder is up another couple of levels, I can’t wait for break-in to be completed so I can try it out at our local track in a few spirited runs. I am not planning to track this car, only explore and learn with it at the track so that I can better understand what to expect and how to take advantage of it on the back roads that I bought this for.

The other few items which seem to come up repeatedly about these cars and provides for mixed reviews, first the sound, as I am still breaking it in I have not explored the upper rev range so for now the exhaust sound is not very impressive, but there are reports that as you break it in the sound improves and even more so above 4K RPM. The second item is LWBS, I love the look, and they hold you in without having to constantly brace yourself against the door or console (which I always did in the GTS), for me and my wife they are very comfortable and supportive. There is one downside, they are a pain to get in and out of, the side bolster is high and you have to drop in and climb out, practice makes perfect so more is required and as the driver I must slide my seat all the way back for this process or you kick the heck out of the lower door! The third item is the top, it is a work of art when it is up and completely out of sight when down, its operation is however a bit of a chore, not stowing it but putting it up. This is going to take a bit more patience and practice, also the fabric is a bit tight so it is not easy to bring the latch close enough to the windshield to catch, it is hoped that the fabric will relax a little and this should become easier.

Overall I couldn’t be happier, the car is everything I had hoped and more, refined and even more capable that I expected, easy to drive and so engaging that I have yet to turn on the radio or even set in the FM stations, all I have been doing is driving and learning this new Spyder, when the entire engine range becomes available I think I will be in nirvana!

View attachment 27829
View attachment 27830
View attachment 27831
View attachment 27832
View attachment 27833
View attachment 27834
View attachment 27835
View attachment 27836
Hello, I have a similar spec but noticed on the build sheet that there are 2 yellows for deviated. Which one did you go with? Im leaning towards speed yellow but the seat belts only come in racing yellow. hmm

Also, does the yellow chrono get "bothersome" when driving?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, I have a similar spec but noticed on the build sheet that there are 2 yellows for deviated. Which one did you go with? Im leaning towards speed yellow but the seat belts only come in racing yellow. hmm

Also, does the yellow chrono get "bothersome" when driving?

Thanks in Advance
I went with Racing Yellow, it is the standard and all additional accents will match it, including the gauges and the seat belts. To get to the point on the configurator where you are selecting the colour of the thread you have already bypassed the standard offering of Racing Yellow, your choice but it is (I believe) more expensive to go that route and the belts and gauges won't match.

About the gauges in yellow, I love them and so does everybody else that see's them, they tie back to the stitching and IMHO suit the car, like @phroenips said, they will put a smile on your face! :giggle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can’t wait until I have my Spyder WestCoaster. It made it’s way through the Panama Canal yesterday aboard the Glovis Crown, but is a 2021 model, so will not be in dealer inventory until December 4th. It wii be a nice early Christmas present and early birthday present for my 60th.

Also, I can‘t wait to make everyday a weekend day. I have had 2 new employers in the last three years, both due to M&A, and have decided that I am to the point that if they decide to cut me loose I’ll go gladly.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Oddly, you'll be even busier than you were when you were working. Strange, but true!

·
Registered
475 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts