Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone.

After being on this planet for 38 years and having never known the joy of owning a true sports car, I figured it's about time.

I've owned other fun cars, including a 1986 Toyota MR2 that is an absolute hoot for having 25 horsepower.

But now it's time for me to go ahead and check the midlife crisis box as I am now in a position to own a car I never thought possible. Bring on the 718 GTS 4.0 with a stick!

Deposit placed, allocation locked. Freeze date of 12/15 with ETA first week of March.

Am I missing anything on the build? I went back and forth over the interior, considered the luxor beige but wasn't able to find a good example online.

EDIT

Was brought to my attention I would have had silver seatbacks, not leather with old code. Thanks Hal!

New code below for feedback!

The Porsche Code

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice basic specification.
If you will be the sole driver, the 18-way seats will be redundant.
You might consider adding the larger fuel tank, dual A/C, and Apple Car Play.
those are standard equipment on GTS and Apple Car Playlist and dual zone HVAC std. equipment for US models as well

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,077 Posts
Good morning everyone.

After being on this planet for 38 years and having never known the joy of owning a true sports car, I figured it's about time.

I've owned other fun cars, including a 1986 Toyota MR2 that is an absolute hoot for having 25 horsepower.

But now it's time for me to go ahead and check the midlife crisis box as I am now in a position to own a car I never thought possible. Bring on the 718 GTS 4.0 with a stick!

Deposit placed, allocation locked. Freeze date of 12/15 with ETA first week of March.

Am I missing anything on the build? I went back and forth over the interior, considered the luxor beige but wasn't able to find a good example online.

EDIT

Was brought to my attention I would have had silver seatbacks, not leather with old code. Thanks Hal!

New code below for feedback!

The Porsche Code
I'm going to take your word that you are looking for the joy of owning your "first true sports car" and suggest a few changes to really make it one:

Stick with the SPASM at -20 mm. I had -10 mm on my 2014 Cayman S and now have -20 mm on my 2022 GTS 4.0. The Cayman S was good, the GTS is better. The are both very comfortable at the normal setting, but the GTS is a little tighter and crisper on the sport setting. No real difference in clearance that I've noticed and we have speed bumps in my neighborhood. Not sure what prompted you to give up that standard GTS performance option which other models have to pay extra for?

Seats: Consider the full bucket seats (LWBS). Now that you took Hal's suggestion and added leather seat backs, you are effectively paying $4,280 for 18 way seats. The LWBS are "only" $1,620 more and are unmatched in lateral support and - for me - overall comfort. I had the 18 ways in my 2014 Cayman S for 47k miles and I would highly recommend them over the 14 way seats. But after 5,400 miles in the LWBS, I'll never look back.

GTS interior: The one downside to the LWBS is that you can't separately specify all leather interior. BUT....you can specify GTS interior package (in Chalk or Guards Red) which gives you all leather upper dash, extended deviated deviated stitching, colored seat belts and some additional niceties.

Bag: Light Design Package, Black Calipers and Satin Arum wheels. I did this mostly to save you money. But also because the light design package is completely useless IMO. It's the one item in the Premium Package on my car which I don't even notice. Regarding satin arum wheels - that's up to you. On some exterior colors, the gold wheels look OK to me. But on Guards Red they look a little too pimpmobile for my tastes. If you really dislike black, consider satin platinum or (free) silver. On the other hand, guards red brake calipers look fine on a guards red car if you go with something other than gold wheels. I like that you de-badged the car by deleting the side decals and rear model designation.

So here's the build code that I came up with: The Porsche Code. Less than $2,000 more than your build, but with LWBS, SPASM and GTS interior package and with extended deviated stitching. I'm showing it in chalk - which works great with my Carmine Red - but you can toggle to Guards Red if that rings your bell.

It's your money, so no offense will be taken if you reject any or all of my suggestions. But given that you have a couple of weeks before you build lock, I would suggest trying to see as many cars in person, and especially test sit in the LWBS if those are of any interest. Good luck (y)

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,262 Posts
Congrats on the allocation. Excellent spec, here are a couple of comments for consideration:
  • I have 2 way seats and they are excellent. I have never missed the electric adjustment or the memory package, YMMV
  • The standard brake calipers are essentially Guard's red, so they won't clash with your car.
  • The "exclusive design" fuel cap is plastic.
  • I got the +10 cm PASM and am happy with it. You will hear from lots of people that consider it heresy. It is still -10 from the stock 718 suspension.
  • The light design package is generally thought of as a rip-off. Haven't yet heard anyone that was happy with it.
  • The roof liner is Racetex by default. I don't like the stuff so I ordered fabric.
  • If Bose is available again, I would recommend it over the base system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to take your word that you are looking for the joy of owning your "first true sports car" and suggest a few changes to really make it one:

Stick with the SPASM at -20 mm. I had -10 mm on my 2014 Cayman S and now have -20 mm on my 2022 GTS 4.0. The Cayman S was good, the GTS is better. The are both very comfortable at the normal setting, but the GTS is a little tighter and crisper on the sport setting. No real difference in clearance that I've noticed and we have speed bumps in my neighborhood. Not sure what prompted you to give up that standard GTS performance option which other models have to pay extra for?

Seats: Consider the full bucket seats (LWBS). Now that you took Hal's suggestion and added leather seat backs, you are effectively paying $4,280 for 18 way seats. The LWBS are "only" $1,620 more and are unmatched in lateral support and - for me - overall comfort. I had the 18 ways in my 2014 Cayman S for 47k miles and I would highly recommend them over the 14 way seats. But after 5,400 miles in the LWBS, I'll never look back.

GTS interior: The one downside to the LWBS is that you can't separately specify all leather interior. BUT....you can specify GTS interior package (in Chalk or Guards Red) which gives you all leather upper dash, extended deviated deviated stitching, colored seat belts and some additional niceties.

Bag: Light Design Package, Black Calipers and Satin Arum wheels. I did this mostly to save you money. But also because the light design package is completely useless IMO. It's the one item in the Premium Package on my car which I don't even notice. Regarding satin arum wheels - that's up to you. On some exterior colors, the gold wheels look OK to me. But on Guards Red they look a little too pimpmobile for my tastes. If you really dislike black, consider satin platinum or (free) silver. On the other hand, guards red brake calipers look fine on a guards red car if you go with something other than gold wheels. I like that you de-badged the car by deleting the side decals and rear model designation.

So here's the build code that I came up with: The Porsche Code. Less than $2,000 more than your build, but with LWBS, SPASM and GTS interior package and with extended deviated stitching. I'm showing it in chalk - which works great with my Carmine Red - but you can toggle to Guards Red if that rings your bell.

It's your money, so no offense will be taken if you reject any or all of my suggestions. But given that you have a couple of weeks before you build lock, I would suggest trying to see as many cars in person, and especially test sit in the LWBS if those are of any interest. Good luck (y)
Great insight Ed, much appreciated.

Can I ask what your measurements are? No cars near me I can sample those seats in, would be a bit of a gamble.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Can I ask what your measurements are? No cars near me I can sample those seats in, would be a bit of a gamble.
I'm one score and 7 years older than you (sorry just watched "Gettysburg") meaning 65, 5'7" 155#. Wife is much smaller. Neighbor with a GT3 and LWBS is your age, 6'2", 235#. Where are you located? If within driving distance of DC, you are welcome to test drive my car, which also has the -20 mm SPASM. Can try PCA events or cars and coffee to try to find LWBS to see in person as well. Also, I'm not a fan of Racetex. But with the LWBS, you can replace the Racetex seat cushions very easily (albeit $1,500 to $1,800). I got new cushions from P1 Designs that included memory foam and inflatable lumbar support options. Neighbor got similar for his Mexico Blue GT3. The remaining Racetex with the GTS interior package is all low-touch areas. You can still order steering wheel and shift boot in all leather.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be wary of taking anyone's recommendation on the seats. Our bodies are all different. Get what you feel is best

For me, the 2-way Sports plus give me back ache. 18 ways are absolutely worth it to me. I find the sports buckets seem comfortable, but I wouldn't get them myself as a) they are a pain in tight parking spots and b) I can't guarantee they will stay comfortable after 3-4hrs.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Like I've said in numerous other threads; only get the bucket seats if they're exactly what you want. Don't take others' advice on it. They're arguably the most significant option to consider aside from maybe transmission that directly impacts the overall experience of driving the car, so it's important that you don't end up regretting your decision. If you've never owned a sports car before then you'll probably find even the 14-way seats very sporty; the 2 or 18 ways are actually great seats and the buckets are reserved for those who just want that extra "racecar" edge. Consider the cost and the risk of how subjective the seats are and I can't understand why people continue to try to recommend them unsolicited...

The 18 way vs 2 way debate comes down to preference. The 18 ways are great, but the only reason I got them is because the memory package is really convenient for when my wife drives the car. They are effectively the same seats, but I'm sure some folks use the full adjustability. I don't really.

I also don't understand how anyone could justify the leather seat backs for $1600. But to each their own.

Also if you want gold wheels on a red car, get them. Don't listen to people telling you what colors/combinations THEY like. That also makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would be wary of taking anyone's recommendation on the seats. Our bodies are all different. Get what you feel is best

For me, the 2-way Sports plus give me back ache. 18 ways are absolutely worth it to me. I find the sports buckets seem comfortable, but I wouldn't get them myself as a) they are a pain in tight parking spots and b) I can't guarantee they will stay comfortable after 3-4hrs.
I agree about not relying on other's recommendations (on any of the seat options)....which is why I try to qualify my comments/suggestions to include a "try them out yourself".

That said, after 8 years and 47k miles in 18 ways and 1 year / 5.4k miles in the LWBS, my back does better in the LWBS (inflatable lumbar support by P1 is better than anything made by Porsche) and my wife and I have done two 300+ mile drives and numerous 100-200 mile drives with equal/better comfort to the 18 ways. I think I should do a video of getting in and out as well....the process of sliding the LWBS all the way back makes them at least as easy to get out of in tight parking spaces compared to trying to get out of 18 ways without first sliding the seat back much further than the inch or two they automatically retract.

One caveat is that the LWBS do not have seat heating. However, I've been peasantly surprise that hasn't been an issue. I don't drive much at temperatures below 40-45 and the fabric of the P1 design cushions seems to hold my body heat better than all leather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like I've said in numerous other threads; only get the bucket seats if they're exactly what you want. Don't take others' advice on it. They're arguably the most significant option to consider aside from maybe transmission that directly impacts the overall experience of driving the car, so it's important that you don't end up regretting your decision. If you've never owned a sports car before then you'll probably find even the 14-way seats very sporty; the 2 or 18 ways are actually great seats and the buckets are reserved for those who just want that extra "racecar" edge. Consider the cost and the risk of how subjective the seats are and I can't understand why people continue to try to recommend them unsolicited...
Fully agree
The 18 way vs 2 way debate comes down to preference. The 18 ways are great, but the only reason I got them is because the memory package is really convenient for when my wife drives the car. They are effectively the same seats, but I'm sure some folks use the full adjustability. I don't really.
I don't need memory but I do use full adjustability!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You do "understand" that the OP solicited input? You do "understand" that I've been careful to qualify my recommendations to consider all of the seat options offered by Porsche for ones self before checking any box on a build? I'm equally perplexed as to why some think that suggesting mere consideration of LWBS is tantamount to making some sort of political statement? I certainly have no financial, personal or other interest in seeing anyone choose anything other than the right seat option for them.

For the record, I ordered a 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 in April 2021 with the same 18 way seats that were in my beloved 2014 Cayman S. The car arrived at the dealership in July 2021 with 2 way seats. The dealer missed an e-mail that said 18 ways were not avialalbe due to the memory chip shortage and that, unless LWBS were selected, the 2 ways would be substituted. The dealer gave me the option of re-ordering a 2022 GTS 4.0, which I accepted. The 18 ways have side and hip bolster adjustability which allowed a better/tighter fit for me than the 2 way. However, in the interim, before my build lock, my neighbor "suggested" I consider the LWBS and gave me his GT3 to drive so I could try them out. As a result, i got the LWBS. Thank goodness for my neighbor, as I never would have considered them based upon all of the biased negative comments I had heard.....which proved inaccurate for me (and my wife).

I do agree with you that this is a significant choice - as is PDK vs. manual - in the long term enjoyment of a sports car. But given that LWBS are only offered on a handful of Porsche sports car models - the GTS 4.0 being one of them - I feel compelled to suggest they at least be put on the "try them out for yourself" list. I'm glad that I did. And hope that you did as well....and made the right selection for you.

Peace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
However, in their interim, before my build lock, my neighbor "suggested" I consider the LWBS and gave me his GT3 to drive so I could try them out. As a result, i got the LWBS. Thank goodness for my neighbor, as I never would have considered them based upon all of the biased negative comments I had heard.....which proved inaccurate for me (and my wife).

I do agree with you that this is a significant choice - as is PDK vs. manual - in the long term enjoyment of a sports car. But given that LWBS are only offered on a handful of Porsche sports car models - the GTS 4.0 being one of them - I feel compelled to suggest they at least be put on the "try them out for yourself" list. I'm glad that I did. And hope that you did as well....and made the right selection for you.
I really fancied them as well. But without such a fortunate circumstance as you, I wasn't able to try them, at least for not more than a 15/20 minute test drive. And after finding the 2-way sports plus seats have become so uncomfortable for me with passing years (I'm not even "that" old, and pretty slight build), I'm wary that Porsche might not model their seats for my body type.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Congrats on the allocation. Excellent spec, here are a couple of comments for consideration:
  • I got the +10 cm PASM and am happy with it. You will hear from lots of people that consider it heresy. It is still -10 from the stock 718 suspension.
the only reason I mention the PASM [when selected on GTS, which has PASM Sport (w/ -20mm drop from std suspension) as standard], it selects a softer front / rear sway bar, different spring rates and the higher (by 10mm) suspension vs. the PASM Sport spec suspension

- the configurator can lead one to believe you're "adding" PASM to a model that doesn't have it as standard and can inadvertently end up with the suspension spec that is optional on Base and S models

if the buyer intentionally selects it either for the ride quality or concerns of ground clearance, then its their call on that

I myself early on had to examine that option to determine what was GTS spec vs. something different

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'll second the comment(s) that seats are probably the most consequential decision to be made (once you've settled on the transmission of course.) We all have our opinions but they really don't translate from one person to the next. 18-ways are must-haves for me after having owned both 18 and 14-ways. I've never owned (or even sat in) a Porsche with LWBS, so I can't add anything there.

After the transmission and seats, and given you are buying a GTS, everything else is customization in the margins, and moreover is personal. That said I'll toss in with a couple of observations. Assuming you're trying to stick to a budget, I would spend my allowance for leather on the areas you see and touch all the time rather than on the seat backs. That is I'd go for the leather interior trim package and the leather sun visors. I see you already opted for the steering column casing in leather. Good choice! Like the standard steering column, the standard visors look and have a cheap plastic feel and are worthy of an upgrade in my opinion.

I have and like the substantive items in the Premium Package but obviously they aren't necessary in order to get full enjoyment from the car. You are buying one or two a la carte and only you can determine whether the others are worth it.

I have Power Steering Plus and would buy it again. Too cheap not to have and is helpful in tight spaces.

I have PASM +10 because my driveway is such that at -20 the front splitter would scrape. I'm only mentioning this because that extra centimeter can matter in certain circumstances even if they are rare. Of course you can always replace the splitter if it's ever damaged. By the way, I've owned Caymans with and without PASM and consider it to be the most important option to get on models where it doesn't come standard.

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Further to my post above, if you live in an area where temps drop below about 45 or 50 F, save a budget for winter wheels and tires. The car gets squirrelly in cold weather on summer tires!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Your car is going to be amazing with very nice spec's.

We all mean well and sincerely want your car to be special and rock your world for years to come. Thus, the reason for all the well reasoned comments and recommendations. Ultimately, it's your car and your money, so take our comments with a grain of salt and craft the car for you.

That said, please consider the following:
  • I opted for the the Light Design Package, even though many here advised it wouldn't make any difference. I should have listened, as I've yet to find any evidence it exists, nor have I noticed it in any way, shape or form.
  • What ever you do, please get some butt time in your seat selection before lock day. Wanted LWBS, but bad back wouldn't cooperate. Thus, we went with 18-ways, which my lovely Bride loves and they treat my back well, especially on long 10+ hour drive days. Regardless, LWBS are exponentially better for track time and AX. Time is short before your lock date, so going to C&C, a Porsche drive day, or calling your local PCA for a meet up to get some actual butt time is very highly recommended.
  • I'm not a fan of the plastic "grayish" seat back shell, so including leather seat backs in our Boxster was a visual component I felt necessary to compliment our interior...and I love them. That said, the Cayman's roof effectively hides the seat back 99% of the time, so that option wouldn't have made the cut for me in a Cayman.
  • The plastic sun visors in our '17 BS looked as cheap as those in my long departed 1972 Fiat, 74 VW, 72 MG, 75 914, etc....and exactly why the leather visor option was the first box I checked when ordering our '22 BGTS. Same thing goes for the leather steering column cover, which was my second option selected.
Congratulations on your allocation and welcome to the Waiters Club. Can't wait to see your delivery pics.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
258 Posts
I like the build - all the creature comforts that can be used as a daily/GT (ish). Even the +10mm. Now I have a T with the -20mm and a pretty much a stripper, so that's where I'm coming from. IE, pick a theme and go for it is my philosophy. Spending all that money (and weight) on light packages, steering controls etc. and then going for LWBS only makes sense (to me) if you're more comfortable in them or you simply MUST HAVE the look.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I like the build - all the creature comforts that can be used as a daily/GT (ish). Even the +10mm. Now I have a T with the -20mm and a pretty much a stripper, so that's where I'm coming from. IE, pick a theme and go for it is my philosophy. Spending all that money (and weight) on light packages, steering controls etc. and then going for LWBS only makes sense (to me) if you're more comfortable in them or you simply MUST HAVE the look.
Forgot to mention the -10 or -20. Our BS had -20 and our BGTS has -20. The chassis is incredibly comfortable in the softest suspension setting and amazingly compliant and super tight in the sport suspension setting. Not sure how it could be any more comfortable with the -10 option. Regardless, I've never had any issues with the ride height at -20, and that includes speed bumps and some seriously angled driveway entries and exits. Our BS did scrape one driveway entry in it's first 500 miles...angled correctly thereafter....and it's never happened again, in either car.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts