Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

Registered
Good morning everyone.

After being on this planet for 38 years and having never known the joy of owning a true sports car, I figured it's about time.

I've owned other fun cars, including a 1986 Toyota MR2 that is an absolute hoot for having 25 horsepower.

But now it's time for me to go ahead and check the midlife crisis box as I am now in a position to own a car I never thought possible. Bring on the 718 GTS 4.0 with a stick!

Deposit placed, allocation locked. Freeze date of 12/15 with ETA first week of March.

Am I missing anything on the build? I went back and forth over the interior, considered the luxor beige but wasn't able to find a good example online.

EDIT

Was brought to my attention I would have had silver seatbacks, not leather with old code. Thanks Hal!

New code below for feedback!

The Porsche Code
Hey 38 years old is no midlife crisis, I have a a pair of Doc Martins that old.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Congratulations @718J! How long did you wait for an allocation from deposit if I may ask? I too hit that 38 year itch, and have been waiting for a bgts allocation for about 4 months at this point...
No time at all from dealer contact and agreeing to a small markup =/

I am too impatient to hope an allocation would pop, in my case it made sense for my local dealer to hop on the last 4.0 allocation they had for likely the year.

Registered
No time at all from dealer contact and agreeing to a small markup =/

I am too impatient to hope an allocation would pop, in my case it made sense for my local dealer to hop on the last 4.0 allocation they had for likely the year.
Very nice! Ironic that I鈥檓 willing to pay a small markup as well, but the dealer I want to work with is msrp only! Glad the stars aligned for you. Wish you all the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I also don't understand how anyone could justify the leather seat backs for $1600. But to each their own.

Also if you want gold wheels on a red car, get them. Don't listen to people telling you what colors/combinations THEY like. That also makes no sense to me.
In truth, I can't really justify the seatbacks, outside of me telling myself this is THE car I never sell. Why not splurge a bit? The visors is a good suggestion as well.

I wish I had more time to sample other seats. I figure this build is more heavy on the leather/comfort/ I live in Charleston SC where the roads are garbage.

Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
In truth, I can't really justify the seatbacks, outside of me telling myself this is THE car I never sell. Why not splurge a bit? The visors is a good suggestion as well.

I wish I had more time to sample other seats. I figure this build is more heavy on the leather/comfort/ I live in Charleston SC where the roads are garbage.
I don't think you can join the Porsche Club of America until you actually own a Porsche, but our local chapter (Founders Region - DC area) is very welcoming at monthly brunches and socials to new people shopping or waiting for delivery. Looks like you have a reasonably active chapter in the Charleston area: Porsche Club of America, Palmetto Region - Charleston / Myrtle Beach SC. Porsche Club That might be a good place to see cars, test sit in seats, etc.

Registered
2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Congratulations! I was debating between 2 ways and 18 ways for awhile, but I landed on 2 ways. I was worried about not enough support in curves without adjustable side bolster, but 2 ways ended being comfortable and hugging. I will vinyl wrap seat back to get rid of silver. I'm also the only driver so need for adjustments otherwise. I'd option ventilated seats option since you have full leather interior. Nice if it's gets hot. Red brakes would be good match for guard red too. GTS package makes the choice a bit easier since it's fixed if you like alcantara/carbon fiber; free bundled carmine red stitching essential. Deviated seat belts are another nice finishing touch. That's just my 2 cent, but it's your money 馃. Make it yours not for the next guy. Have fun tracking your build!

Registered
Nice spec.

Seats are really down to the individual and I mirror the remarks given previously on trying all the options. 18 ways are great if you are really fussy and can't get comfortable in the 14s or standard sport seats. You really do need to try and get an extended test drive in at least 2 of the seat options. Unless someone else is using the car, I wouldn't bother with 14 or 18 ways. My wife hardly ever drives my car and just as a precaution, I have put a paint pen marker on the seat runner just in case she does drive it and move the seat. I also know the distance in cms from the seat back to the firewall should she need to move that as well. Sad isn't it! If you're happy with the standard sports seats, you've saved yourself some money.

Suspension. This also depends on where you live. Roads in the UK are notoriously bad, and I mean bad, however the SPASM (-20mm) ride is pretty good. My wife has commented that it rides better than my previous Cayman with PASM (-10mm). Again. I'd suggest trying both and see what you think. Bear in mind your location and where you will be driving, how steep your driveway is and car parks etc.

Light design package. For me it's a nice touch and I like it. Comes into its own at night when the foot wells, door bins light up and centre console is gently lit by the overhead light.

Rear seat shells in leather. Personally, and please don't take offence if you have it, in a Cayman they are a complete waste of money. You will hardly see the seat backs unless you have your seat all the way forward. Yes in a Boxster as you can see them with the roof down but save yourself the $1700 or so.

Gold wheels. Not my cup of tea and I'm sure you've googled pictures but personally I'd go with silver.

Black Aluminium. I'd go for the light brushed aluminium as it matches the colour of the trim in the rear boot (trunk). The interior of the Cayman can be quite a dark place and adding some lighter trim pieces lifts the cabin feel.

I'd also have a look at adding the Porsche crest on the centre console lid. It's a nice touch for not a lot of money. Same for folding mirrors. Plus they let me know the car is locked when looking from a distance.

With the money you'd save from the seat backs and 18 ways, get yourself a set of winter wheels and tyres if the state you live in is subject to cold winters. As mentioned, the standard summer tyres in both Pirelli and Michelin flavours, don't inspire confidence when temps drop below 6-7 degrees C.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice spec.

Light design package. For me it's a nice touch and I like it. Comes into its own at night when the foot wells, door bins light up and centre console is gently lit by the overhead light.

Rear seat shells in leather. Personally, and please don't take offence if you have it, in a Cayman they are a complete waste of money. You will hardly see the seat backs unless you have your seat all the way forward. Yes in a Boxster as you can see them with the roof down but save yourself the $1700 or so.

Gold wheels. Not my cup of tea and I'm sure you've googled pictures but personally I'd go with silver.

Black Aluminium. I'd go for the light brushed aluminium as it matches the colour of the trim in the rear boot (trunk). The interior of the Cayman can be quite a dark place and adding some lighter trim pieces lifts the cabin feel.

I'd also have a look at adding the Porsche crest on the centre console lid. It's a nice touch for not a lot of money. Same for folding mirrors. Plus they let me know the car is locked when looking from a distance.
Great feedback!

I am in South Carolina where the roads are... subpar.

I added the LED headlights and light design package.

The 18 ways seem to be a "if you can afford, sure, but not needed for most" 3K won't break me, and I'm not sacrificing in other areas for the seats.

I toyed with the brushed aluminum, for me the black feels more inviting. Totally see where you are coming from on the darkness in cabin though. The aeatbacks are absolutely not needed other than to complete the look I am going for. It's one of those things where I am buying for me and knowing I passed on that a year from now would probably irk me. =/

Registered
Great feedback!

The 18 ways seem to be a "if you can afford, sure, but not needed for most" 3K won't break me, and I'm not sacrificing in other areas for the seats.

I toyed with the brushed aluminum, for me the black feels more inviting. Totally see where you are coming from on the darkness in cabin though. The aeatbacks are absolutely not needed other than to complete the look I am going for. It's one of those things where I am buying for me and knowing I passed on that a year from now would probably irk me. =/
The 18 way seats are nice - firm, supportive and being able to adjust the backrest and seat base bolsters is nice. Plus the thigh support extension - I was able to sit in a new owner's GT4 that had the 18 way SS+ and that confirmed what I spec'd in my order way the way to go!

and yes - SC roads...I live in Charlotte area and the moment you cross the state line into SC, you know it. When there's three generations of pothole patches that have all failed, you do evasive steering moves

Registered
Great feedback!

I have 18-ways and even as the car's only driver, I find myself making adjustments from one drive to the next. There's a huge difference between being snug in the seat and properly positioned for and aft with a heavy coat on in the winter as opposed to wearing just a t-shirt and shorts in the summer. Then there's the ability to make minor adjustments in every dimension to reduce fatigue on long drives. In these regards, the 2-ways just can't complete in my opinion.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have 18-ways and even as the car's only driver, I find myself making adjustments from one drive to the next. There's a huge difference between being snug in the seat and properly positioned for and aft with a heavy coat on in the winter as opposed to wearing just a t-shirt and shorts in the summer. Then there's the ability to make minor adjustments in every dimension to reduce fatigue on long drives. In these regards, the 2-ways just can't complete in my opinion.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. More pros than cons to the 18 ways.

Registered
That's kinda what I'm thinking. More pros than cons to the 18 ways.
If IF the LW buckets work for you, they are something special. If they don't work for you, they could be a real problem.

The 18-ways are always great, no risk. They aren't special though.

Many people have no way to guarantee the LWBs are not problematic or painful for them, so unless you do, I'd always recommend 18 ways.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm going to stick with the 18's.

If I wasn't going for such a finished interior and this wasn't going to be more of daily than a track car, I'd probably take a shot on the buckets.

Now to decide if I am sticking with the gold wheels or going for the less flashy silver!

The Satin Aurum is eye catching for sure, I just don't know if that's the amount of attention I want to attract.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts