Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just sayin' hi from the east side of the San Francisco Bay. I've been lurking for a while on these forums but am finally posting. I'm new to the forums and new to the Porsche brand.

My new 718 Boxster (base model, manual, midnight blue metallic with full luxor beige leather interior and a few other niceties from the Configurator) has all of 100 miles on her. Tomorrow she goes in for an Xpel Ultimate full-frontal wrap, and a GTechniq Crystal Ultra ceramic coating on everything. And Opti-Guarding the leather. Am I obsessed? My wife sure thinks so :eek:

Attached is a picture of my new speedy toy next to...my other speedy toy :) By a random coincidence, the maximum quoted speed of the 718 is exactly identical, and I mean exactly, to the long-range, 'economy' low-power cruise setting I usually operate the aircraft at.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Just sayin' hi from the east side of the San Francisco Bay. I've been lurking for a while on these forums but am finally posting. I'm new to the forums and new to the Porsche brand.

My new 718 Boxster (base model, manual, midnight blue metallic with full luxor beige leather interior and a few other niceties from the Configurator) has all of 100 miles on her. Tomorrow she goes in for an Xpel Ultimate full-frontal wrap, and a GTechniq Crystal Ultra ceramic coating on everything. And Opti-Guarding the leather. Am I obsessed? My wife sure thinks so :eek:
Congratulations! I wrestled with whether to do a PPF or not but have over 5000 miles on my car and has been chip free on all covered areas. Will go for full a vehicle wrap next time around. So bottom line your not obsessing your being proactive and protecting your new Porsche.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice Boxter......and Piper Lance (I think that’s a Lance). My dad had a couple Cessna’s. Great memories of family vacations in them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Boxter......and Piper Lance (I think that’s a Lance). My dad had a couple Cessna’s. Great memories of family vacations in them.
Excellent guess, and very close. That's actually a Piper Turbo Arrow. Looks quite similar to the Lance, but has 200 hp and carries 4, instead of the 300-hp, 6-seat Lance. But the existence of the turbo means it flies the same speed on 100 less hp, and also climbs a lot higher.

And amazingly enough it cost slightly less to acquire than my base Boxster...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! Care to share who did your coating tasks?
A gentleman named Fahad from Robust Auto Detailing in Napa is working on the car as I type this (the pics I've posted are all pre-wrap and pre-coating.) I'll post pics when it's done. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum and Hello from across the bridge.
Thank you! There are surprisingly few 718s driving around the Bay, it seems. One fine morning we should all meet up for coffee and a rural drive or something...

·
Registered
344 Posts

Attached is a picture of my new speedy toy next to...my other speedy toy :) By a random coincidence, the maximum quoted speed of the 718 is exactly identical, and I mean exactly, to the long-range, 'economy' low-power cruise setting I usually operate the aircraft at.
Did you buy her off the lot or was it a custom order?

I've been to the SFB area a few times and absolutely love it there. You have some nice roads to drive a 718.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My thoughts exactly. We tried to get a group get-together a while back but didn't seem to have a lot of interest. We should try and get something together this year.

Enjoy the roads and the air. Nice.

Thank you! There are surprisingly few 718s driving around the Bay, it seems. One fine morning we should all meet up for coffee and a rural drive or something...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I just learned a valuable lesson. When it comes to car care, do your homework. Ask around. Visit shops. Don't just choose someone based on their reviews.

I hired Fahad of Robust Auto Detailing in Napa to come and do a full frontal Xpel wrap on my new Boxster, plus a full coating of GTechniq Crystal Serum over the entire car and OptiGuard on the roof and leather interior. He did a fine job with the GTechniq.

But the Xpel film install was a total botch job. Large, thumbnail sized bubbles. Peeling edges. Visible large scratches in the film. When I pointed all this out, his response was: 'Well I don't do perfection.' And while he claims to have been trained by Xpel, there's no mention of his shop on the Xpel website.

Fortunately he removed the film, so the front of the car is now back to normal. But now I have to go get the front ceramic coating done elsewhere (I don't want him anywhere near my car ever again).

I should have known that saving some $$ would not be worth it in the long run. I'm headed to Premier Protective Films in Fremont to get the ceramic coating done; they seem top-notch. I'll skip the protective film and just do the coating.

Buyer beware. Lots of 'installers' out there who shouldn't be permitted to at film to your cellphone screen, let alone your new 718 ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I just learned a valuable lesson. When it comes to car care, do your homework. Ask around. Visit shops. Don't just choose someone based on their reviews.

I hired Fahad of Robust Auto Detailing in Napa to come and do a full frontal Xpel wrap on my new Boxster, plus a full coating of GTechniq Crystal Serum over the entire car and OptiGuard on the roof and leather interior. He did a fine job with the GTechniq.

But the Xpel film install was a total botch job. Large, thumbnail sized bubbles. Peeling edges. Visible large scratches in the film. When I pointed all this out, his response was: 'Well I don't do perfection.' And while he claims to have been trained by Xpel, there's no mention of his shop on the Xpel website.

Fortunately he removed the film, so the front of the car is now back to normal. But now I have to go get the front ceramic coating done elsewhere (I don't want him anywhere near my car ever again).

I should have known that saving some $$ would not be worth it in the long run. I'm headed to Premier Protective Films in Fremont to get the ceramic coating done; they seem top-notch. I'll skip the protective film and just do the coating.

Buyer beware. Lots of 'installers' out there who shouldn't be permitted to at film to your cellphone screen, let alone your new 718 ?
Sorry to hear about your experience. I think in general that if it's not a certified vendor for that product, I wouldn't take the risk. Same thing with having dealerships apply these. My dealership offered multiple times to install a protective film for me, I declined.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I had Premier in Fremont wrap my whole front, mirrors, rocker panels and the rear wheel well and they did a great job. Very professional and clean job.

I highly recommend them.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Notwithstanding kfahmi's problem I will continue to have my high end vehicles protected with a PPF. The key is to find a reputable, well established vendor and that generally will yield high quality results. As I have mentioned many many times I have about 6K miles and the PPF covered areas are completely chip free.

·
Registered
310 Posts
But the Xpel film install was a total botch job. Large, thumbnail sized bubbles. Peeling edges. Visible large scratches in the film. When I pointed all this out, his response was: 'Well I don't do perfection.'
That is infuriating! I would have lost my... stuff, and would not have been legally responsible for what happened next. I congratulate you on your restraint.

Reactions: Ironman

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I visited Premier and spoke with Wilson, and was very impressed. The car is now scheduled to go in for a full ceramic coating on the front (hood, bumper, front quarter panels etc) and a PPF just on the bumper. I thought about doing the full frontal PPF but I'm already $1300 into this, plus by the time I'm done with the frontal ceramic coating and bumper PPF, it's going to be close to $3K. I have to think the front bumper will account for the majority of chips... And this is not a DD, but a weekend toy that won't likely get more than 5K miles per year (if even that).

We shall see. I should have just gone to Premier in the first place. Live and learn!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the folks at Premier showed me a black painted panel with 4 different types of PPF on it. The Xpel looked somewhat cloudy, as did the SunTek. The ClearGuard brand they use looked vastly better. It was night and day. I couldn't even tell it was there. Had I seen that first, I never would have chosen Xpel...

·
Registered
87 Posts
kfahmi - many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I recently got a quote from Robust Auto Detailing for the same service, and it seemed too good to be true. I really appreciate you saving me the time checking them out!

I hope you are now happy with the end result at Premier in Fremont. Have fun and enjoy your wonderful new car (and its rear wing)!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kfahmi - many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I recently got a quote from Robust Auto Detailing for the same service, and it seemed too good to be true. I really appreciate you saving me the time checking them out!

I hope you are now happy with the end result at Premier in Fremont. Have fun and enjoy your wonderful new car (and its rear wing)!
We shall see... I'm dropping the car off this weekend at Premier and will have the front end wrapped and then coated with Modesta. Yes, this means I'll end up with a car that has the Modesta ceramic coating installed on the front, and a GTechniq Crystal Serum installed from the front door joints rearward, but there's nothing else I can do. Guess I'll be a guinea pig for testing those two different ceramic coating types for the long term!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts