Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha to All 718 Members,

Been trolling for a bit gathering information from this forum. Great info and opinions on this forum. I am a diehard automotive enthusiast and have had the fortunate opportunity to own several performance cars in my life: E46 M3, E36 M3 Dinan Stage 3, CTS-V, S2000, E90 335i, Intergra GSR, B6 S4, 05 STi, moded GTI VR6, 05 GT Mustang, SRT-4, etc... The list goes on, but mainly budget priced, pre-owned performance cars. My current list of cars should be in my signature. I have a 2018 718 Cayman on order and this will be my first new car in probably 20 years.
My problem is my build. I have placed an order for a 718 Cayman and I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever build I end up with, but I would love some input on the options. My max ceiling is $71k for this build. My wife will also be driving this car, so it's a bit more complicated. For instance, I would be happy with manual Sport Plus seats, but I'm 6'4 and my wife is 5'3 (on a good day. Therefore, I have to opt for 14 or 18 way seats. My build is still changeable till December so please chime in.

My current build:
Graphite Blue
18 Way Sport Tex Seats in Graphite/Chalk
Carrera Sport Wheels
6 Speed
Premium Package
Sport Tailpipes in blk
Lane Change Assist
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Bose
LA Porsche Experience Delivery
$71,175

My alternate build is what I would need to do in order to add PASM:
Graphite Blue
Carrera Sport Wheels
6 Speed
PASM
NO PREMIUM PACKAGE
NO SPORT TAILPIPE
NO BOSE
Lane Change Assist
Bi-Xenon Headlights (PDLS)
GT Sport Steering wheel
$70,915

I'm very well aware this is a first world problem and that I'm fortunate enough to have a silly issue like this, but nonetheless it's something I have to decide on. This will be a date car for my wife and I, we will possibly take turns driving it to work (we both have other daily drivers), and maybe a track day here and there. It's a lease, so resale value is of no concern. I am a defensive, yet highly spirited (think slightly aggressive) driver.
Your thoughts on PASM vs Bose, Sport Tailpipe, and Premium would be greatly appreciated. If you have a different suggestion for the build, that would also be appreciated.

·
892 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum. One thing I have noticed is regarding your wheels & suspension options on your two builds. On both builds you've got the same 20 inch wheels but PASM on only one of them. I always opt for the large wheels but then I always option in PASM too. As much as I love large alloys, I'd advise that if you aren't going to fit PASM, then to maintain a comfortable & compliant ride you should really opt for a smaller wheel size. In a choice between Bose & PASM, then even with a smaller wheel I'd still go with PASM every single time. Sports tail pipe is only cosmetic, so it's fitment is entirely down to whether you like the look of the standard tailpipe on the base car or not. If you decide differently at a later date then that or even a full sports exhaust can easily be retrofitted. I've not had a car with the standard light setup, but a few on here have expressed some disappointment with it. The PDLS Bi-Xenon has a greater light output & is therefore probably not a bad idea (there is a thread on this very subject elsewhere on the forum).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Chilli. My first build has the the Premium Package, which includes the PDLS. Both the Golf R and X5 have great headlights that swivel, so the brighter PDLS is a must in my build. If Porsche offered a 19' wheel that I liked (they used to have a really nice 19' wheel in 911's and Cayman/Boxter, but that's no longer an option), I'd definitely go with 19's. As it stands, I'm not a fan of the current 19's. With 20's, the standard 718 brakes look really small. With 19's, the brakes fill the wheels nicely. That being said, the 20's on the 718 S brakes look really good! As far as Bose, I sat in a 718 today with Bose, and one without Bose. The forum makes fun of Bose pretty consistently, but they sound better than the stock system by a noticeable margin. But your advice on PASM over Bose might make complete sense. Especially with 20' wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Strictly my personal opinion:)--

If you must have the 20" wheels then PASM is also a must. (I have 18" and no PASM and the ride is both sporty and compliant; 20" can be harsh.)

I'm not a Bose fan (been there, done that), the SSP works fine for me. (I'm a hi-fi nut at home, but on the road in my Boxster, stereo is a long way down the list. I don't sit in the car to listen, I use the living room!)

The PDLS works well for me. (I understand the LED is better but I don't do a *lot* of night driving outside the city, and the PDLS are the best lights I've had.)

The multi-function GT wheel is excellent.

The Sport Tailpipes are cosmetic only. (And I happen to like the big square pipe, and the sound of the standard exhaust rather than the Sport.)

Overall I'd suggest that you buy what you want--focussing on what you want from the driver's perspective. That's where most of the fun is.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello @TEST DRyVer! First, let me say welcome to the forum!!! As others above have said this is strictly my opinion based on my build and likes/dislikes. I have the 20 inch wheels and no PASM. I find the ride to be surprisingly smooth--not harsh or bumpy in any way. I agree with you that the lights are a must especially if you plan on much night driving--lots of deer roaming around where I live. I have the basic 2 way seats and find them very comfortable and I actually like having the sliding adjustment. I did get the partial leather Black/ Bordeaux seats--my big splurge other than the tires. I have the 6MT and love it, however, after some thought and talking with a few others, it might be nice to have the automatic rev-matching feature that comes with sport chrono.

I know a lot of people put down the Bose system but I think it sounds fine. I know there are better systems out there but I usually listen to the engine more than play my music loud. I also think that Bose sounds better than the stock stereo system. I like the sport tailpipes, but as GregW notes it is purely cosmetic and in the end you should build the car the way you like. Good luck with your decision and I know you will really enjoy your 718!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 20” wheels with no PASM and I guess I don’t know what I am missing, because I am perfectly happy with the ride. The roads are not terrible here, but not flawless either. I opted for the LED headlights and love them. When i drive my 2010 Tundra now, the lights seem really dim, so dim I replaced the headlights entirely and they are STILL too dim by comparison. I would take the Bose option if you listen to music at all while you are driving and hold off on the tailpipe and handle it after market if the single pipe bothers you.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Non-PASM with 19" wheels, extremely compliant ride. I had the option to switch for 20" Carrera rims at the dealer, but like the look of the Boxster S '5 wishbone' wheel better.

Rev-matching with the MT6 is fun -- challenging but achievable without true double-clutching, using the Danny Sullivan 'big blip' (referencing the Skip Barber racing school book "Going Faster".)

I like the basic Audio system at least as much as the Bose in my 987. Maybe the Bose has gotten better in 12 years.....

Bi-Xenon is standard, doubt you'd miss PDLS unless driving at night on really dark secondary roads.

Irrespective of how fast one intends to drive, I recommend the S for the tractability and sheer competence of its under-rated 2.5/VTG turbo-4.

Braking performance aside (not that it isn't vitally important for cars this fast), aesthetically those huge bright red calipers are priceless.....esp. against a black car. Don't forget the S option also saves you from optioning the larger fuel tank, dual sport tips and 19" wheels and adds a splash of addtl. interior leather along with 'sports-look' aluminum-edged pedals (esp. nice w/ 3-pedals manual).

Washing your lists through my experience, I'd go with stripped S plus heated seats and GT wheel, and come in right around the same non-discounted total. That's what I ended up doing although as full disclosure I began by configuring/ordering a base model as that is already way faster then my plenty-fast-enough 987 S. But hang around this forum a while and you'll notice more than a couple 'fast-enough' 2.0 owners interested in big power upgrades via tuner flashes or GTS/Spyder/GT4 models. For a platform this rewarding and supremely capable of handling more power, that will always be a temptation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome! I have a base 718 Cayman with 4000 miles: (white, 18" wheels, mt 6, pasm, pdls, base seats with heat and ventilation (ventilation is useful in AZ), bordeaux/black interior, LCA, smoking pkg, cargo net)... the most basic build I could live with. I picked it up at the Atlanta PEC, and then drove it back to AZ, mostly off freeways (2400 miles). The PEC delivery was very interesting - great people to work with...LA would have been more convenient for me, but I was told they are not doing deliveries until mid Dec (got mine 10/10). I also have pdk and 14 way seats in a 2015 Macan; obviously the 718 with mt is much more fun to drive. You might do a little more research on seats. The base seats have been very comfortable on the trip and since (two drivers on the trip - 6' 190#, 6'4" 220#). I find the base 718 seats to be just as comfortable as the 14-way seats in the Macan. The only thing lacking is lumbar support, which is easily solved with a pair of rolled up socks between the spine and the seat. If you are serious about tracking, I recommend the S with pdk (which I drove at PEC), otherwise the base model with mt is great for daily driving, occasional forays into the mountains, and long trips...VERY happy with this car. Good luck with your build and a timely delivery - PEC is worth any additional waiting. By the way, I have since added a frunk lid liner and trays for both the frunk and trunk from Suncoast.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Washing your lists through my experience, I'd go with stripped S plus heated seats and GT wheel, and come in right around the same non-discounted total. That's what I ended up doing although as full disclosure I began by configuring/ordering a base model as that is already way faster then my plenty-fast-enough 987 S. But hang around this forum a while and you'll notice more than a couple 'fast-enough' 2.0 owners interested in big power upgrades via tuner flashes or GTS/Spyder/GT4 models. For a platform this rewarding and supremely capable of handling more power, that will always be a temptation.
I considered an S model for a very short period of time. Considering I haven't bought a new car in so long, I really wanted to take this opportunity to spec out the car the way I like. A stripper model S is not what I'm looking for. I do however plan to slightly modify the car (tune, spacers, possibly springs). I believe once more tunes become available and competitive for this car, a simple reflash or piggyback tune will put down power on par or slightly more than a standard 718 S.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I considered an S model for a very short period of time. Considering I haven't bought a new car in so long, I really wanted to take this opportunity to spec out the car the way I like. A stripper model S is not what I'm looking for. I do however plan to slightly modify the car (tune, spacers, possibly springs). I believe once more tunes become available and competitive for this car, a simple reflash or piggyback tune will put down power on par or slightly more than a standard 718 S.

Reactions: Gallatin

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, after some great advice here and another test drive with a PASM 718 went with option #2:

Graphite Blue
Carrera Sport Wheels
6 Speed
PASM
Lane Change Assist
Bi-Xenon Headlights (PDLS)
GT Sport Steering wheel
$70,915

The build should officially start any day now. My car should arrive in port sometime in early March, but since I opted for the Porsche Experience Delivery, I won't have my car till mid to late April.
Now that the car is ordered and can't be changed, I can no longer obsess over options, changing around the configuration several hundred times... Now! What to do with my time??? Reading and watching videos, check ✔ watching the same videos over again, check ✔ hoping for new reading material or new videos, check-check-check ✔✔✔

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wish I could have saved the $$$ on the seat upgrade and stuck with the 2-way. However, I couldn't get comfortable in any of the standard seats. The adjustable leg support of the 14 or 18 way is a must have for me. Plus you get comfort exit/entry where the steering wheel moves up and the seat all the way back which I like a lot.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my opinion i would just get the Sport Seat plus for $920CAD and use the extra towards PASM .
The way i look at it is how many times do you actually move your seat if your the only one driving it :)
I just look at it as more stuff to repair if it fails
You would be completely right, except I'm attempting to do a charitable thing here with this build. I'm trying to build the car in a way that would appeal to my non-manual driving wife as well. Not an easy task. As far As seats, my wife is 5'3 and I'm 6'4, so 14 or 18 way memory is a must for me. I can honestly say this build would likely be completely different if I were buying the car just for myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
The 14 way + memory is standard here in Australia and they're very good, IMO.
With two keys and 2 saved memories you have four different settings saved. Or summer/winter settings or just a change for the sake of change.
The 14 way adjust made it possible to get a great feeling seat. And the other casual driver pushes a button and gets a completely different setting.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 14 way + memory is standard here in Australia and they're very good, IMO.
With two keys and 2 saved memories you have four different settings saved. Or summer/winter settings or just a change for the sake of change.
The 14 way adjust made it possible to get a great feeling seat. And the other casual driver pushes a button and gets a completely different setting.
Its kinda bulls**t here with Porsche North America. Let me tell you my gripe: to have 18 way adjustable seats along with Sport-Tex seats (which are substantially cheaper to acquire the material and make) are a $6,000 option on a base 718 Cayman! That's crazy expensive... But it looks **** good ?? Those Germans knew we would gladly pay extra for cheaper Alcantara or cloth Sport-Tex seats. They were right! Had Alcantara seats been an option, I might of spent even more trying to put my build together :|
Moral of the story: I'm a sucker! Porsche knows it, and they're talking advantage of it :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
.........I'm trying to build the car in a way that would appeal to my non-manual driving wife as well. Not an easy task.......

So you're buying a 6 speed manual trans car to share with your wife and she can't drive a manual trans?

I'm wondering: what's your plan here? :)

For the record, I sort of went through some of the same questions. The 718 Cayman we just picked up in Atlanta is PDK. I chose the PDK because my wife cannot drive a manual trans car and at our age, she probably ain't gonna learn. I wanted an interesting car we could both share (I already have 4 manual trans street cars).

Reactions: Curvenator

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you're buying a 6 speed manual trans car to share with your wife and she can't drive a manual trans?

I'm wondering: what's your plan here? :)

For the record, I sort of went through some of the same questions. The 718 Cayman we just picked up in Atlanta is PDK. I chose the PDK because my wife cannot drive a manual trans car and at our age, she probably ain't gonna learn. I wanted an interesting car we could both share (I already have 4 manual trans street cars).
It's a good question! When I showed her a picture of the 718 for the very first time, she said it was beautiful. When I told her I'd like to order one and I'd like for it to be both of our pleasure car, she was kinda excited. Mind you, she doesn't really care about cars. I then explained that I would personally not buy this car in an automated manual. I tried my best to explain the reason why this car had to be a manual, at least for me to be excited about it... She volunteered! She actually said if I buy this car, she'll learn to drive stick. So we've been practicing on my Golf R. She's doing better everytime, but she still doesn't feel comfortable enough to drive it by herself. Baby steps...
I believe the PDK is the best automated transmission in the world! Several brands are starting to make proper automated transmissions, but Porsche still has the slight edge. For me though, the connection I feel when I'm driving a manual is second to none. This is obviously no disrespect to anyone who owns an amazing PDK, it's just not my first choice, especially in a car like Cayman / Boxter.

I'll tell you something interesting though:
I drove the 718 Cayman back to back with a manual and a PDK. Aside from the obvious advantage to the additional speed of a PDK over a manual, the PDK car seems more powerful. Let me explain, because this is not the only car I've had this same experience with. Automated manuals seem like they carry more power than their manual counterparts. We all know automated manuals are quicker and faster, what I'm saying is that it feels more powerful. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
.......I tried my best to explain the reason why this car had to be a manual, at least for me to be excited about it... She volunteered! She actually said if I buy this car, she'll learn to drive stick. So we've been practicing on my Golf R. She's doing better everytime, but she still doesn't feel comfortable enough to drive it by herself. Baby steps...

.......Aside from the obvious advantage to the additional speed of a PDK over a manual, the PDK car seems more powerful. Let me explain, because this is not the only car I've had this same experience with. Automated manuals seem like they carry more power than their manual counterparts. We all know automated manuals are quicker and faster, what I'm saying is that it feels more powerful. Anyone else experience this?

Ahhhh! Good plan with the Mrs! By the way, mine thought the car was beautiful when she first saw it too.

I tried to teach my wife with my old Miata (a super easy manual gearbox) and there was just no joy. We're probably older that you guys and it just wasn't going to happen.
Otherwise, I would have bought a manual trans Cayman too (but again, I have other manual trans sports cars, so no great tragedy).

The Cayman PDK gearbox is a 7 speed whereas the manual has just 6 gears. The extra gear in the PDK creates a closer (numerical) set of ratios so the car would feel more powerful, at least in intermediate gears.
Some of the other dual clutch gearboxes are also 7 speed (MB, Lambo, Kia, etc). The Honda dual clutch trans is actually 8 speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.