Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone use 5th gear? I'm a 4th to 6th driver. I'll get to whatever desired cruising speed in 4th and than go right into 6th. Am I doing it all wrong? Just wanted to see what others are doing. Thanks. TC

· Registered
786 Posts
Does anyone use 5th gear? I'm a 4th to 6th driver. I'll get to whatever desired cruising speed in 4th and than go right into 6th. Am I doing it all wrong? Just wanted to see what others are doing. Thanks. TC
Yes, all the time...sometimes, it's so smooth, I forget to put in 6th gear. However, I rarely downshift from 6th to 5th, usually it's 6th to 4th or even third.

· Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I barely used 5th or 6th unless it's a long stint on the hw. Generally 4th and keep her in 5k range lol

· Registered
880 Posts
I use every gear and hardly skip any of it.
Whenever just cruising between 1500-2000 rpm, I use the proper gear optimal to my speed. Sometimes it's the 5th.

On a highway (autobahn) you need to use every gear again, depending on your speed and acceleration. If you drop down from 6th to 5th, sometimes you cannot even use 4th as it is already too fast for it.

· Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,163 Posts
I use 1-5 on rural road driving. I use 6 mainly on interstates (dropping down to 5th for 55 mph areas) but a few recently designed and built rural roads. I use 1 and 2 simply to get to 3 and 4 on the track. I almost never skip successive gears.

Reactions: PeC

· Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,163 Posts
Oh, for we whom like to roll our own gears, I recently bought something from the Curb Shop which supports the TMGPS (The Manual Gearbox Preservation Society) organization, the somewhat Zen mantra of which is:
We are the guardians of a dying art. The purveyors of a craft born of necessity, but beloved for its spirit. We travel with purpose regardless of our destination. Every corner an opportunity for the perfect downshift, every stop a new starting line. We find joy in those fleeting moments between ratios; the crescendo of rpm, the gentle click of the gate, the building inertia in our chest as the drivetrain becomes whole again. We are the masters of our machines. We are The Manual Gearbox Preservation Society!

· Registered
1,497 Posts
unless it was going over hill and then down - most likely not.

that u-shape movement isn't as natural and takes more time from 4th, into neutral gate, then back into 6th

generally if I'm on the highway, its progressive acceleration and generally I'd be in 5th for a bit until I hit a steady cruising speed and probably > 60 mph. That's how I've been doing it in my other 6 speed manual and have a lot more torque than what the 4.0 engine has

· Registered
2017 718 Cayman Base
189 Posts
Here, fixed it for ya! :) Only took 2 changes:

We are the guardians of a dying art. The purveyors of a craft born of necessity, but beloved for its spirit. We travel with purpose regardless of our destination. Every corner an opportunity for the perfect downshift, every stop a new starting line. We find joy in those fleeting moments between ratios; the crescendo of rpm, the gentle click of the paddle, the building inertia in our chest as the drivetrain becomes whole again. We are the masters of our machines. We are The Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe Preservation Society!

· Registered
159 Posts
I skip gears a lot. 2 to 4 is common on city streets in the 40mph range. I'll go 3-6 when I am being really aggressive getting onto an interstate.

I do use 5th a lot as a good portion of my commute is in the 50mph range, and 6th leaves me a bit too low in revs for my taste.

· Registered
2022 718 Boxster 2.0
424 Posts
Shame you couldn't think of an acronym to glorify manual transmissions, something like "SHFT" or "6MT!" . Instead of bashing the other school of thought.
Shame you have no sense of humor. It’s all in good humor, sorry you can’t see that.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts