Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of doing paperwork on a new 718 Cayman S.

This will be my first time buying a car sight unseen.

For those who have done this before, have you hired someone to go check it out? I just want to make sure there's no damage, signs of body repairs, whatever.

It's a new car, sure, but I know lots of new cars get dinged or whatever either during shipment or by a test drive or something, so... Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm in the process of doing paperwork on a new 718 Cayman S.

This will be my first time buying a car sight unseen.

For those who have done this before, have you hired someone to go check it out? I just want to make sure there's no damage, signs of body repairs, whatever.

It's a new car, sure, but I know lots of new cars get dinged or whatever either during shipment or by a test drive or something, so... Am I overthinking this?

I'm not sure I understand your situation??? Are you purchasing the car from a local dealer, that's being shipped from an out of state dealer? If so, it's not necessary to commit to the purchase before the car is arrives from the out of state dealer.

My car was shipped from Ohio to MD around 350 miles away. When the car arrived, I did not have to accept it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One question I always ask about a new car that is being transported (in a dealer swap) is what is the current mileage on the odometer of the car that I will be buying? If it's more than 30 miles, I know that the car has likely been used in at least one demo, even though it is technically new. If it is more than 75 miles, I don't consider it new. You have to assume that the car has been driven hard at some point in those early miles - not a big problem if you're leasing, but it may give you pause if you are buying to keep for the long haul. You could ask for a printout report that shows any over-revs etc. As far as dings and dents, have it in writing that car is accepted only after your inspection and approval. If you're worry about repairs and re-paints, you can always buy one of those paint thickness checkers on Amazon.

I'd say that if you are leasing, you may be overthinking the purchase.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am purchasing the car from a dealer in CA, I am in TX. The local dealer is not involved. I have the purchase paperwork in hand, but a bit worried about signing without actually getting to see the car in person.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where in Ca.? I'm in the Bay Area and would be happy to do a test drive....

A couple other forum members around here too.

It's at Porsche Monterey. I'm mainly just wanting to make sure there's no pre-existing damage, marks, issues, etc... Would rather not have any surprises when it arrives on the truck. I know Porsche dealers are likely more trustworthy than your average GM dealer or whatever.... still...

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
It's at Porsche Monterey. I'm mainly just wanting to make sure there's no pre-existing damage, marks, issues, etc... Would rather not have any surprises when it arrives on the truck. I know Porsche dealers are likely more trustworthy than your average GM dealer or whatever.... still...
The Porsche dealer may OR MAY NOT be more trustworthy.

At the very least get someone from the forum to have a look and take pictures. If you are really worried I'm sure a local vehicle inspector (whatever you call them in the US) would be worth their fee.

Greg

·
Registered
638 Posts
It's at Porsche Monterey.
We call that the Central Coast, not No. Calif. or Bay Area. About 4 hours round trip with any sort of traffic (which is about always). Will have to pass on checking out the car for you but I'm glad you found THE ONE. Best luck from this point Autobahn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts