Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post may sound funny but I just put the seat all the way down at the dealership, then jumped in and adjusted all the way back till I " felt" the seat stop and figured..."that's it"....I have been driving the car for a week and a half and been quite comfy but entry and exit have been a challenge.
Today I was hand washing the car and drying the car with a microfiber towel, I opened the drivers door and was drying the painted surfaces inside the door jam when I looked down and noticed a sizable gap between the base of the seat and the firewall behind the seat. I have the base model seats recommended to me as I am 6 foot 5" tall and over 300 lbs.
The only powered feature of the base seat is the tilt of the back rest....so out of curiosity I powered the back of the seat Way forward so it was several inches away from the engine firewall...sure enough, there was nearly 3 inches of space between the seat base and firewall...to my delight I reached in and moved the seat ALL the way BACK!
Now I got in, my left leg is at 98% full extension with the clutch pushed all the way in indicating I most likely would not want the seat to go any farther back than this, also noticeably much more roomy between my knees and steering wheel and just more comfortable in general with my legs much straighter. The biggest benefit is as I am farther back from the door hinges I have more room to swing my legs and feet out the door upon exit, much more graceful exiting car, long story short the recline of my seat has severely limited my rearward travel, it is worth the time to look closely at your seats to find your FULL travel, I still have great head room but am looking out the upper half of my windshield rather than the center....hope this post helps other tall drivers, I am thrilled with the room and driving comfort!:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 14-ways with the automatic exit feature that sends the seat all the way back when you turn it off. When I get back in I have to fully extend my toes to start the car and get the seat memory to kick-in. I love the fact that I can adjust the seat height up and am not all the way back in the 718. In my 2007 base, I was all the way down and back, and could have used another inch for both head and leg. Actually have the same head and leg room in the Cayman as my 2016 Suburban.

Reactions: Gerald Bostock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My first experience with a mid engine Porsche was a very early first gen boxter rented in Vegas for a day years ago....I was impressed with the handling.... I took a large intersection square corner at 88 mph with the car in a full drift!
>:D
But the car was so small it was difficult for me to operate the pedals.....I said " some day, if Porsche makes this car bigger so I fit, puts MORE motor in it AND offers it in a hard top....I will BUY one....that was around the year 2003....I purchased a Brand new Porsche 718 about a week 1/2 ago....brand new was something I NEVER thought to do with a Porsche....but but dog gone...I think they built the perfect car for me!!!:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm 6'1" and about 215# but I have long legs (and I'm old!).

Anything that may help a more graceful entry/exit is appreciated.

Reactions: Gerald Bostock

·
Registered
104 Posts
This post may sound funny but I just put the seat all the way down at the dealership, then jumped in and adjusted all the way back till I " felt" the seat stop and figured..."that's it"....I have been driving the car for a week and a half and been quite comfy but entry and exit have been a challenge.
Today I was hand washing the car and drying the car with a microfiber towel, I opened the drivers door and was drying the painted surfaces inside the door jam when I looked down and noticed a sizable gap between the base of the seat and the firewall behind the seat. I have the base model seats recommended to me as I am 6 foot 5" tall and over 300 lbs.
The only powered feature of the base seat is the tilt of the back rest....so out of curiosity I powered the back of the seat Way forward so it was several inches away from the engine firewall...sure enough, there was nearly 3 inches of space between the seat base and firewall...to my delight I reached in and moved the seat ALL the way BACK!
Now I got in, my left leg is at 98% full extension with the clutch pushed all the way in indicating I most likely would not want the seat to go any farther back than this, also noticeably much more roomy between my knees and steering wheel and just more comfortable in general with my legs much straighter. The biggest benefit is as I am farther back from the door hinges I have more room to swing my legs and feet out the door upon exit, much more graceful exiting car, long story short the recline of my seat has severely limited my rearward travel, it is worth the time to look closely at your seats to find your FULL travel, I still have great head room but am looking out the upper half of my windshield rather than the center....hope this post helps other tall drivers, I am thrilled with the room and driving comfort!:D
I have to decide till tomorrow if im buying the cayman t or the base model
The t comes with ssp and the base with ss both two way
I understand the ssp are thicker thus less possible to tilt the back rest of the seat
I like driving in a “bath” position with a wide angle between the seat and its back rest
My question is how did you find those extra inches
Did you just not move it all the way back before
And if not how did you manage to move it more
Did you need to unscrew something etc

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My question is how did you find those extra inches
Did you just not move it all the way back before
And if not how did you manage to move it more
Did you need to unscrew something etc
Two points. Hunterdude answered those questions in his original post. He found that the rearward movement of his seat was limited by the backrest being leaned back. By re-angling the seat back more upright he gained clearance to move the seat further back.

You probably didn't notice but all the previous notes in this thread are dated 2017. Of course, truth is timeless but you may be asking a question in the forest where no one is there to hear it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Two points. Hunterdude answered those questions in his original post. He found that the rearward movement of his seat was limited by the backrest being leaned back. By re-angling the seat back more upright he gained clearance to move the seat further back.

You probably didn't notice but all the previous notes in this thread are dated 2017. Of course, truth is timeless but you may be asking a question in the forest where no one is there to hear it!
😂😂 thx to my luck you picked up my question 🙏🏼🙏🏼

1 - 7 of 7 Posts