Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very happily picked up my GTS last Saturday! It's everything I'd hoped it would be and more. The delivery experience in ATL was awesome as well. Strangest thing happened yesterday. Took the car to the carwash and discovered this morning that both front bumper grill scoops are gone! I guess the car wash swiped both of them off. I have ordered replacement parts from Suncoast, $65 each. Anyone ever heard of this before? Anyone replaced these? I assume it'll be a simple snap-into-place kind of deal. The part, for reference, is circled in red in one of the pics. Thanks for any help!
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
399 Posts
"Automatic car washes are bad for your Porsche, and you should avoid them, especially the ones that use brushes to wash vehicles. They’ll scratch your car and do more harm than good. If you don’t have other ways to wash your vehicle, then at least go to an automatic car wash that doesn’t use brushes." :eek: Have you gone back to the carwash to find your bumper grill scoops?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Taking that beautiful car through a drive through automatic car wash...SMH. Brushes strong enough to rip two pieces that have been wind tunnel tested right off of your car. Think about what it's doing to your paint. Please stop using drive through automatic car washes and learn about how to easily and properly wash your car. Plenty of threads in here discussing the right way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I hope you don't feel we're being mean. We're just rather surprised that you would consider taking your beautiful, brand new, high sought after and desirable Porsche thru an eggbeater. There are touches carwashes, but even those present some issues especially so for low cars, the conveyor system among them.

Not for morbid curiosity, .........well maybe a little, can you post pics of the damage? Maybe someone here can spot an issue that you're not seeing and it may not be as simple as snapping those black scoops in place. Hopefully it is, but man, I can't see how they came off cleanly without causing other issues.

·
Registered
399 Posts
"Although this wash is fast and cheaper, it is not always the best. This is because it uses harsh cleaning agents that can destroy the outer coating of your car. Also, the brushes are often left with abrasive grime from a previously washed car which can damage your finish."
Water Motor vehicle Vehicle Blue Hood

·
Registered
602 Posts
Guess not.
Yikes. This may not be the community for me. Best to you all.
This community is for people who are willing to learn so as to not to make or repeat mistakes. If continuing to use automatic car washes isn't something you are willing to stop doing even though it's already broken pieces off of your car, then ✌ be with you.

Reactions: gurneyeagle500

·
Registered
399 Posts
OP did not say the type of car wash, he just said “Took the car to the carwash”, would love to see folks dial back the attitude. I have seen multiple new posters head for the exits due to this piling on.
He said "Took the car to the carwash and discovered this morning that both front bumper grill scoops are gone!"
Was that a handwash? No! With the bumper grill scoops gone use your imagination on type of carwash he used. Read between the lines what he posted.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
OP did not say the type of car wash, he just said “Took the car to the carwash”, would love to see folks dial back the attitude. I have seen multiple new posters head for the exits due to this piling on.
I really don't see any issues with the replies. This forum is rather mild and respectful compared to others. Were you also somewhat shocked a person would take their spanking new Cayman thru a mechanical carwash?

As for the car wash, what do you suggest they meant when they said "swiped them off"? They were stolen? As someone famous once said, "Come on man!"

·
Registered
2022 BGTS 4.0 MT, Carmine Red
117 Posts
If you go can I have your username? For those who don't know the periodic table, Pb = lead. Brilliant, love it.

All kidding aside, I'll say as a fellow newcomer that this really is a good community here, and taking the reaction to your report as a sign that the water here is soured just isn't an accurate measure. Stick around a bit and you'll see for yourself.

Glad you're able to get those parts replaced at low cost.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'll admit that my reply was blunt. It just surprises me that people still take special cars through automated car washes in this day and age. Being the second owner of a Cayman who's previous owner clearly took it through the car wash on a regular basis according to the amounts of micro scratches and swirls on the clear coat, I don't understand it at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
First off I hope you can get the parts replaced easily and there is not more damage than you initially have seen.
I have no experience and cannot tell you how to replace the parts as I am still waiting for my 718, since an April 2021 order date.

That said, you are the second forum member in a week that has not been impressed by answers received and intimated you are leaving the forum as the answers received did not give a direct or yes/no answer to your question.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately that is how Internet forums are and probably will be for all time.
People give answers based on their experiences and you will get answers you don’t like but will eventually (maybe) get a direct answer to your question. Sometimes the answers you don’t want will help other people with questions they have but never asked, such as “should I drive my week old Porsche through a car wash”? The consensus seems to be NO and your experience confirms that answer.

An example from a home audio forum:
I have X brand of amp and have the opportunity to buy the same brand but different model to biamp my Y brand of speaker., will this work?
Answers will invariably be:
1. Why are you using that brand of amp.
2. Why biamp?
3. Your speakers are junk buy new ones.
4. What speaker wire are you using?
5. Yes that will work.

Hang in there you may yet get an answer to your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
First, let me answer your question: I have never, ever heard of those trim pieces being removed by an automatic car wash. Your post is however, the first time I‘ve become aware of someone taking their 718 through an automatic car wash.

Second, the posts previous to your reply were pretty polite and didn’t attack your person, but pointed out a mistake you made. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s part of the human condition. Your reaction is puzzling.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Beautiful car, welcome to the forum. I've never heard of those scoups being torn off by a car wash (and obviously lots of people take even their nice cars through car washes) so that's certainly something I'd talk to your dealer about. I'm rather amazed that a car wash could actually pull both out. Hope the replacements you ordered are easy to install, and again - welcome!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts