Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

Registered
2021 CT 6MT
some of you need to eff the eff off with your hysterical and pearl-clutching car wash comments. SMMFH. i run mine through an automatic once monthly with dirty water, brushes and who knows what else. it's ceramic-coated and has a full front clip clear bra, and comes out fine on the other side. i then spend 15-20 mins wiping it down in the garage because that's all of the time i'm willing to commit to it between details. NFG, bros.

Registered
Could I ask that firstly everyone calm down and secondly use less abbreviations as us Brits very rarely use them. What does SMMFH and NFG mean?? For Gods sake just type the words!! 馃ゴ
You are not alone. I'm US-based and don't recognize many of the abbreviations. I think its a generational thing and a result of the need/expectation for immediate response the digital world now demands. The OP can do whatever he/she wants to their car for gosh sakes. I take all of my cars through automatic washes (ripped a rear wiper of an SUV recently), but never the Porsche when I had it;)

Registered
If you think your Porsche is just like any car, then you certainly don't care taking it to an automatic carwash as long as it's clean when you drive away. But if you considered your Porsche more than just a car than handwash it. Remember the brushes used by automatic washes have dirt embedded from other vehicles and are usually not properly maintained and cleaned. Thus applying the dirt back on your Porsche and making deep micro scratches on the car's surface, also called swirl marks. If you like the look of swirl marks, I would recommend you keep taking your Porsche to the carwash especaly the ones with brushes. :LOL:

Registered
Some people can just keep believing that auto car washes are just fine and just stubborn to change. We just have different standards. I had a daily beater GTI that I would take through the auto car was and park it outside every day and I know some people cherish their GTIs so yeah, different standards. The irony is that it takes me 20 minutes to bucket wash my ceramic coated Cayman in my garage with no rinse wash solution which does not jack up my paint in any way and is faster than driving to a car wash, waiting in line, and then still drying it off by hand. If it's really dirty, I'll use my garden hose with normal car wash soap and blow dry most of the water off with an electric leaf blower. That process takes me about 40 minutes and I only have to do this maybe 2-3x a year.

Reactions: SGPhoto

Registered
I don't mean to beat a dead horse to death, but I still don't understand why anyone would take there Porsche to an automatic carwash. :ROFLMAO:
I think it's just stubbornness at this point. The car is tiny and takes less time to bucket wash, especially if ceramic coated, than it does to take it to a car wash. I guess maybe if you live in an apartment or condo and there's no easy water access but even then, all you really need is to carry about 3 gallons of water with no-rinse solution and about 4 microfiber towels. One can make excuses all day if one just doesn't want to do it.

Registered
Lighten up folks. Different strokes for different folks. My Cayman is first and foremost a car. It get's driven daily year round and gets filthy. It is also parked outside every night. I like my car a lot, but not enough to hand wash it 3 times a week when it is 10 degrees F outside. However, I do drive through the local touchless a few times a week because I would prefer it to look clean. Even in the summer here, my car will be filthy in a couple of days at most.

The 06 Cayman made several trips a week through the local automated "Scrubby" car wash, but I did stop going there once I traded the 15 year old paint in for the much shinier '18 Cayman.

Yep, the scrubby washed cause swirl marks. I've witnessed it first hand on my cars. However, it is the choice I have made to drive a clean car every day. The touchless wash doesn't seem to be tearing up the paint as quickly, but I whence when I think about what the chemicals are probably doing to my headlights.

Use your car up the way you want. I don't get the idea of tracking a car, or altering the suspension, but they are very popular things to do. Live and let live.

Oh, I use my cupholder every day, and I know there is at least one french fry under my seat...

Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
Apart from the obvious, still not sure how this happened.
checked mine and they are solid. Added to this it looks like they are also screwed into place but maybe I am wrong in that case. regardless, I tried to move them and they were solid, so car wash or not, imho should not have moved at all.
For the car wash itself thread, no in both I have a Boxster and I do prefer to hand wash it myself - no swirl marks at all on mine.

Attachments

Registered
2021 CT 6MT
If you think your Porsche is just like any car, then you certainly don't care taking it to an automatic carwash as long as it's clean when you drive away. But if you considered your Porsche more than just a car than handwash it. Remember the brushes used by automatic washes have dirt embedded from other vehicles and are usually not properly maintained and cleaned. Thus applying the dirt back on your Porsche and making deep micro scratches on the car's surface, also called swirl marks. If you like the look of swirl marks, I would recommend you keep taking your Porsche to the carwash especaly the ones with brushes. :LOL:
dude. what part of NFG is not registering with you? i've performed hundreds of details, both as a job in college and as a leisure activity for over 20 years. i've forgotten more about detailing than you ever even knew. i'm over it and don't see the obsession as important any longer. not a priority. end of story. stop being a tool and go back to whatever it is you do all day. oh wait. that's right. this is what you do ... MR. PROCLAMATION IS IN THE HOUSE AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL SOMEONE ACKNOWLEDGES ME.

Some people can just keep believing that auto car washes are just fine and just stubborn to change. We just have different standards. I had a daily beater GTI that I would take through the auto car was and park it outside every day and I know some people cherish their GTIs so yeah, different standards. The irony is that it takes me 20 minutes to bucket wash my ceramic coated Cayman in my garage with no rinse wash solution which does not jack up my paint in any way and is faster than driving to a car wash, waiting in line, and then still drying it off by hand. If it's really dirty, I'll use my garden hose with normal car wash soap and blow dry most of the water off with an electric leaf blower. That process takes me about 40 minutes and I only have to do this maybe 2-3x a year.
this ain't religion, man. nobody has to believe in the stuff you feel strongly about. every time i take my cayman through the automatic wash, i will whisper an incantation and call upon your name three times in the hope that you don't shart yourself if my paint gets scratched.

Reactions: SGPhoto

Registered
this ain't religion, man. nobody has to believe in the stuff you feel strongly about. every time i take my cayman through the automatic wash, i will whisper an incantation and call upon your name three times in the hope that you don't shart yourself if my paint gets scratched.
Why you so buttocks hurt to come up with a snarky reply to me then? I didn't direct a reply to you but if the shoe fits... Go ahead and keep spending more of your time to auto wash and towel dry than it does for me to no-rinse wash.

Registered
2021 CT 6MT
Why you so buttocks hurt to come up with a snarky reply to me then? I didn't direct a reply to you but if the shoe fits... Go ahead and keep spending more of your time to auto wash and towel dry than it does for me to no-rinse wash.
you've made two posts in quick succession generalizing others as "stubborn" because they don't do stuff the way you do. you're funny.

Registered
you've made two posts in quick succession generalizing others as "stubborn" because they don't do stuff the way you do. you're funny.

I was actually engaging with Porsche Wolfe. See how I actually replied to his post? Looking at your reply now, you come in hot telling people to "eff off" and now want to act like I'm calling you out? Classy.

Registered
2021 CT 6MT
I was actually engaging with Porsche Wolfe. See how I actually replied to his post? Looking at your reply now, you come in hot telling people to "eff off" and now want to act like I'm calling you out? Classy.
oh shoot. this was yours and wolf's private thread. i'm so sorry. what the heck was i thinking? :unsure:

but enough with the car wash BS. let's attack other things that are really worthy of consternation, like putting consumer-grade, aftermarket springs on factory dampeners, using spacers thicker than 10MM and those awful, diamond-quilt leather floor mats that some people love so much. i bet those people are just stubborn and weren't taught what gauche means.

Premium Member
dude. what part of NFG is not registering with you? i've performed hundreds of details, both as a job in college and as a leisure activity for over 20 years. i've forgotten more about detailing than you ever even knew. i'm over it and don't see the obsession as important any longer. not a priority. end of story. stop being a tool and go back to whatever it is you do all day. oh wait. that's right. this is what you do ... MR. PROCLAMATION IS IN THE HOUSE AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL SOMEONE ACKNOWLEDGES ME.

Hey you won. We believe your opinion is the most important. It's all in caps. MR. PROCLAMATION IS IN THE HOUSE AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL SOMEONE ACKNOWLEDGES ME. Signed ~droideka

Premium Member
Apart from the obvious, still not sure how this happened.
checked mine and they are solid. Added to this it looks like they are also screwed into place but maybe I am wrong in that case. regardless, I tried to move them and they were solid, so car wash or not, imho should not have moved at all.
For the car wash itself thread, no in both I have a Boxster and I do prefer to hand wash it myself - no swirl marks at all on mine.
This is exactly why I asked the OP to post pics. It seems there could be more damage than they realized.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts