Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cayman GTS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a GTS yesterday and wondering if she will fit in a single garage (8ft wide) or if it will be to tight. I have 3 cars attached garage: a single door and a double one but the double is used to park a huge van.

The single garage doesn’t have a garage door opener as it is almost never used and want to install one although only if the GST will fit in it. Anyone care to share the width of their single garage door if they park their Cayman in it (if it fits)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just went out and looked/measured. It'll definitely go through an 8' wide opening, does the parking area widen up any more? If not, and even if you're able to park the passenger side REALLY close to the wall, you'll still only have around 18" to open the door and get out. And since the coupe door is so long, it would be pretty tight.

I have a one-bay wide section of my garage (it's a three car tandem; think L shaped, two cars deep, two cars wide. The rear bay is one car width wide). That area is around 10' wide though, and is plenty of room if I get the passenger side really close.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
536 Posts
Bear in mind that the car is about six feet wide. That would only leave one foot on either side. To get in the car the doors need to be fairly wide open, unless you are skinny and a contortionist. Neither apply to me.

Mine is 11.5 feet and I wouldn't want it any less.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I only have a single garage but the internal width is nearly 12ft but a standard single garage door. I always fold my passenger side mirror in to safely get through the door. My Macan also used to fit through. I really must clean out all the junk in my garage.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
I only have a single garage but the internal width is nearly 12ft but a standard single garage door. I always fold my passenger side mirror in to safely get through the door. My Macan also used to fit through. I really must clean out all the junk in my garage.
If I had my own garage, instead of sharing with others in my condo building, it would look similar but less organized than yours! The magazine stacks, for one, would be taller and leaning in the wrong direction!

·
Registered
Cayman GTS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all the replies! There is 8 inches spare to the wall on the passenger side so I can always let the person out before pulling in. The driver side has all the room needed to open the door and some. I also got the electric folding mirrors so that will help if needed.

Going to get that door opener installed! thank you again for the pictures and replies.

·
Registered
567 Posts
For the first year after purchasing my Cayman it was kept at a storage facility while we constructed a garage and made other improvements to the house. The door to the storage unit is 8'-0" wide and the unit width is 10'-0" if I recall correctly. It was difficult to get in/out of the car but certainly possible. It was easier in/out of the unit if I pulled in straight rather than try to get more room on the drivers side. The folding mirrors were an asset.

Regarding the garage door opener, you may want to consider a wall-mounted unit such as the Liftmaster 8500W with wi-fi and battery backup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My third garage door opening is also a single and its has an 8 feet opening. The wall side of my garage is to the left, I've always liked backing in so the passenger side is against the wall. The Cayman is 6.325 feet wide my Shelby was 6.825 inches wide. While backing in and using my mirrors I had a good view of the opening and of my drivers side mirror as it cleared the opening. I backed the Shelby in for 6 years without a problem so the Cayman is easy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For the first year after purchasing my Cayman it was kept at a storage facility while we constructed a garage and made other improvements to the house. The door to the storage unit is 8'-0" wide and the unit width is 10'-0" if I recall correctly. It was difficult to get in/out of the car but certainly possible. It was easier in/out of the unit if I pulled in straight rather than try to get more room on the drivers side. The folding mirrors were an asset.

Regarding the garage door opener, you may want to consider a wall-mounted unit such as the Liftmaster 8500W with wi-fi and battery backup.

View attachment 30659
With not enough room on the sides I have glued a piece of carpet to prevent nicks when I open my door.
I'm surprise you don't have that in your garage.

·
Registered
567 Posts
@Porsche Wolfe The photo is of the rented storage unit about a week after we bought the car. I added pads shortly thereafter to the CMU wall. No need for the passenger side. The garage we were constructing at the time is approximately 26’ wide with two 9’-0” overhead doors so no problems now.

Reactions: DaisyDee

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you so much for all the replies! There is 8 inches spare to the wall on the passenger side so I can always let the person out before pulling in. The driver side has all the room needed to open the door and some. I also got the electric folding mirrors so that will help if needed.

Going to get that door opener installed! thank you again for the pictures and replies.
I'd also suggest attaching a foam "pool noodle" to the wall to protect the edge of the door. My garage wall was close-up on the driver's side, and that protected me from paint damage. 2 ft length, slided in half, and mounted horizontally.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have always backed the Cayman into the garage. Old house was a bit snug. At the suggestion of a Porsche pal I laid down a strip of pavement marking tape down the centerline of my desired path. I then added a small square of white label tape on the center bottom of the license plate frame. Just look at the backup camera to make sure I am aligned and it's been easy as pie. I also outlined the car perimeter plus a foot or so, and make sure nothing in the garage crosses the tape.

My wife won't back her Macan into the garage but it works out because we keep the middle of the garage free for doors swinging open. So we are parked driver side to driver side.

·
Registered
Cayman GTS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd also suggest attaching a foam "pool noodle" to the wall to protect the edge of the door. My garage wall was close-up on the driver's side, and that protected me from paint damage. 2 ft length, slided in half, and mounted horizontally.
Thank you so much for that suggestion! I was looking to pad the wall with foam but the pool noodles is a much better inexpensive way to do it!

·
Registered
Cayman GTS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have always backed the Cayman into the garage. Old house was a bit snug. At the suggestion of a Porsche pal I laid down a strip of pavement marking tape down the centerline of my desired path. I then added a small square of white label tape on the center bottom of the license plate frame. Just look at the backup camera to make sure I am aligned and it's been easy as pie. I also outlined the car perimeter plus a foot or so, and make sure nothing in the garage crosses the tape.

My wife won't back her Macan into the garage but it works out because we keep the middle of the garage free for doors swinging open. So we are parked driver side to driver side.
Another brilliant idea! Will definitely try that! thank you!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I did the same on my wife's "side" of the garage. Full pool noodle taped tightly to the metal shelves that could be hit. Has done it's job numerous times as far as I can tell :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Attached a pool noodle to the wall in 2009 for my lovely Bride. Unfortunately, her SUV door (allegedly with a mind of it's own) repeatedly bludgeoned the noodle into oblivion within 2 years.

The search for a more durable alternative led to a layered combination of bumper material. The base layer is 1/2" foam pipe insulation made from the same material as pool noodles. I cut the 1/2" foam insulation lengthwise down the middle and attached the "flat" side to the wall using 3M 90 Hi-Strength Spray Contact Adhesive. The base "noodlish" foam layer was then covered with 3/4" rubber pipe insulation, also using 3M 90 Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive.

Door edges have yet to dent or cut through the foam rubber outer layer...so everyone is happy ;). Probably could have used 1/2" foam rubber pipe insulation for the exterior layer, but had extra 3/4" in the attic. The following are the materials used:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts