Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Boxster S with navigation but no voice activation, Porsche connect or Apple CarPlay. I’m planning to get voice activation and carplay installed by my dealer. I’m confused about Porsche connect. One service technician told me I just need to call Porsche for an activation code. Another told me you can’t get it after market if it’s not installed at manufacture. It would be nice to have traffic information, for example, on the Porsche navigation (although I assume carplay will also have it). I’d appreciate any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2017 Cayman with no navigation but I have the lever for voice activation, when I push the button says its unavailable, now I'm not sure if I have it or not????

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS in GT silver metallic, manual 6speed
18 Posts
I have a 2018 Boxster S with navigation but no voice activation, Porsche connect or Apple CarPlay. I’m planning to get voice activation and carplay installed by my dealer. I’m confused about Porsche connect. One service technician told me I just need to call Porsche for an activation code. Another told me you can’t get it after market if it’s not installed at manufacture. It would be nice to have traffic information, for example, on the Porsche navigation (although I assume carplay will also have it). I’d appreciate any help.
I find that it’s confusing. For 2018 models there are 2 totally different apps, ‘Porsche Connect’ and ‘Porsche Car Connect’. They both require separate logins and accounts, they are not centralized by Porsche. Once registering with Vodaphone (for Porsche Car Connect) you have to return to the dealer so they can program the activation code into your PCM. I don’t find much value with Porsche Connect, but Porsche Car Connect does allow for remote diagnostics, remote door locking and a few other features. Still seems inferior to the (what seems to be standard for all other manufacturers) remote capabilities for my F150.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I called Porsche and they referred me to Vodaphone, as you correctly said, Vodaphone told me they handle carconnect but not Porsche connect, which is what I want -mainly for live traffic. Vodaphone referred me back to Porsche. Porsche then said they would email instructions and a code. They said that following the instructions and entering the code would give me Porsche connect with no need to visit the dealer. No email ever came. Absolutely confusing and Porsche customer service is only making it more confusing!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you have carplay you dont need voice activation or live traffic you will do everything with carplay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need voice activation to get Carplay. If you want live traffic with Porsche navigation you need Porsche connect. You can get traffic with Carplay of course but I would also like traffic with my Porsche navigation. So the question remains: can you get Porsche connect after market and, if so, how do you get it?

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS in GT silver metallic, manual 6speed
18 Posts
You need voice activation to get Carplay. If you want live traffic with Porsche navigation you need Porsche connect. You can get traffic with Carplay of course but I would also like traffic with my Porsche navigation. So the question remains: can you get Porsche connect after market and, if so, how do you get it?
Not certain which are necessary for ‘Porsche Connect’ only but I have a line item on my build sheet which says, ‘navigation module for Porsche communication management (PCM)’. It was code 7UG and had a cost of $1780. Under that line it has code QH1 ‘voice control’ at $0. Then I have a code of IV2 ‘Porsche connect plus’ for $1720. Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
52 Posts
On my 2018 MACAN S with voice control and Nav
dealer Installed apple car play,
they did everything, got the code/license etc.
was a long download to get it Installed.
about $900, other dealers up to $1200.

On my 2018 Boxster baseCPO, no nav or voice control.

Apple car play was on the car
thats what convinced me to get it on macan
love it, Waze etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts