Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being 70 y/o and driving the 718 has been a rejuvenating and wild experience; I will miss my baby. So approaching the pearly or blazing gates of wherever, (most likely ****) I felt it may be best for a geriatric like myself to throw more money away and arrive in a stylish land based techno rocket. Seriously though, the 718 is remarkable but at my age the go-cart suspension is a little rough, and is apparently annoying to unsupported female mammary glands according to my also 70 y/o wife of 52 years. The Taycan eliminates that.

I drove one today and, my god, it is unbelievable. I fell in love with it before we even hit any curves. To me it handles better than the 718, hard to believe, but true. The Taycan I purchased today is black with a beige interior, 20" wheels and the premium package. List price was $92k and change and had been previously ordered by the dealer. The "cheap" model (mine) has the same basic specs as the more expensive models. They just have more superfluous expensive toy goodies for you to play with.

Even if you don't plan on purchasing one, go to a dealer and just drive one to feel it!

Y'all have a great day!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pix please. I saw a couple at my dealer, and they really looked nice - significantly nicer than in pictures. Enjoy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Personally I would have told my other half to invest in some female support however, the Taycan is lovely yet it will be interesting how you justify the change to your mates in the pub!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S, 2016 Cayman S, 2021 GTS 4.0 ordered
56 Posts
Enjoyed your story, and empathize with your situation, but an electric car, a car that has no engine sounds? I could never do that. My fun car must always have a magnificent and powerful engine/exhaust note. Did you even consider the Panamera? Regardless, enjoy it, and come back in a month or two with a follow-up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Scrounger
My "mates in the pub" or "bums at the bar" as it's called near my domicile are all in the same sinking ship. We all have been married since shortly after fire was "discovered" or so it seems. To you youngsters this means that we have been with our spouses for a considerable period of time. During this period the male species testosterone levels decrease tremendously usually forcing an acquiescent "flee or shut up, but don't argue" position when confronted by matters troubling your loved one. In other words the female rules the roost whether or not you like it or even know it. If you have been married for more than 15 years your wife is the boss period. 😉

I will update y'all shortly after the Taycan arrives.

Carpe diem with PORSCHE!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Let’s see some pics of the Taycan!

Congrats, I absolutely love the Taycan. To me it’s one of the best looking cars in the Porsche lineup. Also would be nice to never have to worry about filling up with gas or changing the oil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Being 70 y/o and driving the 718 has been a rejuvenating and wild experience; I will miss my baby. So approaching the pearly or blazing gates of wherever, (most likely ****) I felt it may be best for a geriatric like myself to throw more money away and arrive in a stylish land based techno rocket. Seriously though, the 718 is remarkable but at my age the go-cart suspension is a little rough, and is apparently annoying to unsupported female mammary glands according to my also 70 y/o wife of 52 years. The Taycan eliminates that.

I drove one today and, my god, it is unbelievable. I fell in love with it before we even hit any curves. To me it handles better than the 718, hard to believe, but true. The Taycan I purchased today is black with a beige interior, 20" wheels and the premium package. List price was $92k and change and had been previously ordered by the dealer. The "cheap" model (mine) has the same basic specs as the more expensive models. They just have more superfluous expensive toy goodies for you to play with.

Even if you don't plan on purchasing one, go to a dealer and just drive one to feel it!

Y'all have a great day!
Congratulations on a great Taycan purchase. Electric vehicles are the future but for right now I prefer my gas Porsche 718 having only to fill up my tank up once a week or so. For me this is very convenient, without having to give too much thought to everyday commuting or road trips, since gas stations are relatively accessible. However within the next 10 years when they have perfected the solid state batteries for vehicles I will consider purchasing electric. Solid state batteries will charge 80% in 15 minutes and have a range over 400 mile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats! It's really an amazing car, in and out. I'm trying to convince my dad to sell his Mercedes CLS and get him self the Taycan. I want him to join the Porsche family.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congratulations on a great Taycan purchase. Electric vehicles are the future but for right now I prefer my gas Porsche 718 having only to fill up my tank up once a week or so. For me this is very convenient, without having to give too much thought to everyday commuting or road trips, since gas stations are relatively accessible. However within the next 10 years when they have perfected the solid state batteries for vehicles I will consider purchasing electric. Solid state batteries will charge 80% in 15 minutes and have a range over 400 mile.
Follow up from Solid State car battery article:
"Imagine an electric car battery that provides more than 300 miles of range, charges in approximately ten minutes, requires no bulky heating and cooling systems, maintains 80 percent of its charge capacity for 800 cycles (about 240,000 miles), and isn't prone to spontaneous combustion. Such is the promise of the solid-state car battery, a holy grail that automakers and manufacturers are racing to find. Now, Toyota announced it'll have a running prototype with a solid-state battery ready by next year. A compact fast-charging battery could allow battery-powered electric cars to conquer internal-combustion power once and for all."

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Being 70 y/o and driving the 718 has been a rejuvenating and wild experience; I will miss my baby. So approaching the pearly or blazing gates of wherever, (most likely ****) I felt it may be best for a geriatric like myself to throw more money away and arrive in a stylish land based techno rocket.
Congratulations!

I am 3 years behind you!... Same plan!:cool:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congrats!!! My buddy just picked up a Turbo S. Holy crap. Out of my price range to be sure, but what a machine.
You're gong to love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts