Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I collect my Cayman 718 in September after ordering in late January 2017.

In August I enjoyed the Porsche Experience Day at Silverstone.

My previous car was a Porsche Boxster 2009 987 Gen 2, 2.9 litre which I bought 2nd hand, so this is my first new Porsche ever lol...

Yesterday I took a few photos following the PDI work but before the G3 Glasscoat was applied today.

I list the options I chose below and I look forward to reading all your experiences of the 718 and contributing to the forum.

• Base 718 Cayman (2018 model)
  • Colour : Sapphire Blue Metallic
  • Sports exhaust system
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • 18 inch Cayman wheels (Additional winter set of Boxster Design 911 wheels).
  • Interior: Black Leather Interior
  • “718" logo on the rear
  • Park ultrasonic assistance rear
  • Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest.
  • Cruise Control
  • Speed limit display
  • Light design package
  • Seat heating
  • BOSE sound system

Best Wishes

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Congrats on the new car!
I was at a "Cars and Coffee" over the weekend (with my MGB) and was parked next to a Sapphire Blue Metallic Cayman. Great choice!

You seem to have had a very long wait for your car (January to September). Is that typical in the UK?
Mine was ordered about 4 weeks ago and I just got notice that I'll get it in 6 to 8 weeks.

I'm flying down to Atlanta to do our US Experience (and then drive the car back home about 1000 miles). My first new Porsche too and looking forward to it. ( I had a dreadful 356 in the '60s) :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get a discount on your order? I know that sales in the UK are not great but still my local dealership is playing hardball.

Why didn't you go for Sport Chrono?

·
892 Posts
Did you get a discount on your order? I know that sales in the UK are not great but still my local dealership is playing hardball.

Why didn't you go for Sport Chrono?
Who's your local dealer? I found getting a good deal from my nearest dealer was like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. That was despite the fact that I'd previously bought two cars from them. On top of that, whilst the service guys are great I just can't relate to some of the salesman at that location. They not only display an extraordinary level of intransigence but also seem to be rather full of their own self importance & not really great to deal with on any level. They were however a lot more helpful & accommodating when they found out I was kicking them into touch & going somewhere else instead. Too late old chum, play fair from the start or you no longer get to play at all. In any case I travelled a few hundred miles each way to Porsche Wilmslow (just outside Manchester & part of the Stratstone group), but it was well worth the effort. Straight talking, no bulls**t, no airs & graces & so much better a deal than I was offered more locally & we also got to that deal in very little time. When you're trying to negotiate buying a car you expect a bit of a dance but it shouldn't need to feel as appealing as a trip to the dentist & if it does then perhaps it's time to look further afield. Despite the travelling distance Porsche Wilmslow are very likely to get my business next time as well. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
.......... When you're trying to negotiate buying a car you expect a bit of a dance but it shouldn't need to feel as appealing as a trip to the dentist............

I agree. I contacted six dealers before I was happy with price and attitude. Meanwhile, although I didn't really want a Corvette, my local Chevy dealer was super nice and helpful when I looked at a new Vette as an alternative. Porsche could learn a lot from the sale staff in Chevy dealers.

In one Porsche dealer, the sales guy seemed flummoxed that I wanted a base car with PDK. He said that would be "very hard to get" (?!?!?)
At a different dealer the sales guy told me he wouldn't bother to order a base car with PDK unless I put up a "sizable deposit".

In the end, I found a dealer with a pleasant salesman who gave me a decent deal and requested a modest $1000 deposit. But it took a while and I was beginning to look at other cars. In my experience, Porsche really needs to work harder with training for sales staff in some of their dealers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Glad to have a new owner on the forum.

Did you at any point consider something from the competition or was Porsche always the answer?

·
892 Posts
I know that sales in the UK are not great but still my local dealership is playing hardball.
On the contrary, further to my last post I made a few tentative enquiries with a few of my contacts on behalf of a friend. Not only are sales pretty good for Boxster's & Cayman's in the U.K, they are actually exceptionally good. With Boxster's the lead time is a little shorter but Cayman's are currently in extremely short supply. For example if you placed an order for a 2.0 Cayman at one particular Porsche dealer I know of you're now looking at around 1 year before that order gets fulfilled (They also sold a very low mileage used 2.0 Cayman 718 only yesterday at a premium of £1000 over original list price). That explains why getting a discount is working out so hard & if you want a car quickly you might want to start looking to see if something suitable is already in stock in one of the dealer showrooms. Be also aware that cars will inevitably be due a sharp price hike here due to the weakness of Sterling so if you're going to do it then you'd best do it now. I found one dealer where you can currently get a November build & I've told my mate to get in there.

·
892 Posts
I should add to my last comment that my friend was also attempting to get a discount & was told pretty much a straight no. That's why I said I'd make a few tentative enquiries on his behalf to see if there was any movement elsewhere & also when a car could be obtained. I was genuinely surprised to find out that the reason there is such an overall reluctance to discount is that they are selling out of their supply allocations. After all if they're selling at full price & can't actually get any more then they simply don't need to discount. What gets me though is not all dealers countrywide are yet in the same position in terms of having sold out those allocations. Why would someone wait up to a year when with a few simple telephone calls they could get as soon as a November build with an alternative dealer? All the more so when a price hike must be pretty imminent. And no, so far, there isn't any price movement at that dealership either, but at least the build allocation is considerably sooner than with the dealership nearest him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are three Porsche dealers in the State of Arizona, two are within an hours drive. I went to both. The first one, which just opened last year, was unwilling to negotiate. The second dealer was willing to negotiate so I ordered my 718 there. The SA kept me well informed during the four months of production and delivery. It does pay to shop around!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should add to my last comment that my friend was also attempting to get a discount & was told pretty much a straight no. That's why I said I'd make a few tentative enquiries on his behalf to see if there was any movement elsewhere & also when a car could be obtained. I was genuinely surprised to find out that the reason there is such an overall reluctance to discount is that they are selling out of their supply allocations. After all if they're selling at full price & can't actually get any more then they simply don't need to discount. What gets me though is not all dealers countrywide are yet in the same position in terms of having sold out those allocations. Why would someone wait up to a year when with a few simple telephone calls they could get as soon as a November build with an alternative dealer? All the more so when a price hike must be pretty imminent. And no, so far, there isn't any price movement at that dealership either, but at least the build allocation is considerably sooner than with the dealership nearest him.
Sales are not as good. See carsalesbase.

They are losing Cayman/Boxster market share to Mustangs and Camaros, go figure. I can have an October delivery with 1.8% discount, no clue why someone would wait for a year, guess someone lazy from Ealing. I'm actually inclined to go for an F-Type, this "dance" as you call it is getting annoying to say the least. Why would I behave differently if I'd buy from such a huge market as the US? I have this sense that this brand's network dealerships in the UK, either owned by VW or not, have some entitlement attitude I dislike a lot. Your main competitor in this segment is your own product, the Audi TT RS and you discount it heavily, or a frigging MB that is selling better, or Mazda that you can have with 0% APR and is selling 3 more times if you include the Fiat. I know it's not apples to apples, but you ask me, I either go for the 8 cylinder F-Type or a used 981.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I collect my Cayman 718 in September after ordering in late January 2017.

In August I enjoyed the Porsche Experience Day at Silverstone.

My previous car was a Porsche Boxster 2009 987 Gen 2, 2.9 litre which I bought 2nd hand, so this is my first new Porsche ever lol...

Yesterday I took a few photos following the PDI work but before the G3 Glasscoat was applied today.

I list the options I chose below and I look forward to reading all your experiences of the 718 and contributing to the forum.

• Base 718 Cayman (2018 model)
  • Colour : Sapphire Blue Metallic
  • Sports exhaust system
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • 18 inch Cayman wheels (Additional winter set of Boxster Design 911 wheels).
  • Interior: Black Leather Interior
  • “718" logo on the rear
  • Park ultrasonic assistance rear
  • Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest.
  • Cruise Control
  • Speed limit display
  • Light design package
  • Seat heating
  • BOSE sound system

Best Wishes

Andy
Hi liked your post and hope your enjoying your first porsche.
I am picking up my first porsche too next month...it’s a basic boxter but similar extras to yours. I’m from North London. Just had a couple of questions...how are you finding the speed limit display on uk roads...does it work?
Also I did not order the sports Chrono , but do you still get a ‘sports’ button or should I have ordered that as an extra? Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi liked your post and hope your enjoying your first porsche.
I am picking up my first porsche too next month...it’s a basic boxter but similar extras to yours. I’m from North London. Just had a couple of questions...how are you finding the speed limit display on uk roads...does it work?
Also I did not order the sports Chrono , but do you still get a ‘sports’ button or should I have ordered that as an extra? Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
68 Posts
nice list of options
you know stuff like the light design package seems unimportant
but day to day little stuff like that makes ownership just that much more enjoyable
its worth it
stuff like sports chrono which I have I never use
I just put my foot down get pretty much the same effect
sports plus is way too manic to drive to work
all of the fun grunt is honestly 2500-5500 rpm no real need to wring it out
and if you do you are at speeds (in about 2 seconds) that will take you to jail if you get caught

·
892 Posts
...and the speed limit display? Does that work? Thanks
Yes but don't come to rely on it as telling you the gospel truth. It will only provide the correct information if that information has been recently updated & as you know new speed restrictions in the U.K come in thick & fast. I'll give you an example :- Near to me there was a stretch of road that had a 40 mph limit & it's been that way for as long as I can remember. Despite the fact that it has no housing or road junctions or really any other particular hazards there was somehow a fatal accident. Although this didn't involve excessive speed the local authority saw fit to reduce the limit to 30 mph, however my car still displayed the limit as being 40mph for some three to four weeks or so after the change. I don't know what process is used to update the system, all I know is it wasn't correct & up to date for some time. That may be down to our local authority being very lax about informing anyone of the new limit & quite frankly that wouldn't surprise me. Whatever the cause it's an example how over reliance on an in car display could lead you astray. I think the best advice is to simply use it to supplement other visual information rather than depend on it as providing you with the definitive guide to the speed limit in that area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Andy, I don't know you but I lived in Gosforth, UK (Northumberland) from 2010 to 2012. I am now bck in Quebec, Canada, Montreal are. Where exactly are you in Northumberland? I know the countryside of this region being a cyclist.

Mario from Montreal
Cayman 718S Indian red

1 - 17 of 17 Posts