Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been lurking here a while. Was over at P9 but got tired of the endless 718-bashing (in a forum for 718s, no less), so here I am.

I've test-driven a number of models, both new and used, including:
718 Boxster
718 Boxster S
981.2 S
991.1 S
991.2 (manual)
991.2 (PDK)
I also had the opportunity to participate in a 718 Grand Tour and do a few laps with a Boxster S.

Frankly, I'm having a tough time deciding!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!! I think you will find this a friendly place with lots of good information on the 718s. Many of us have experienced the P9 bashing of the 718 and as you said--it's endless over there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome Oliver.

I had 12 years with a 987 Boxster S (guess I really like the mid-engine platform), now a 718 Boxster S.

The backlash against anything new is directly proportionate to how much it threatens the status quo. The 718 S is as fast as the current 911 Carrera in real-world testing. That is something Porsche have never permitted before....I think they have 'crossed the Rubicon' with the 718 precisely because for the first time the mid-engine platform has its own powerplant and clearly is not a de-tuned 911. Thus the 911 value proposition is preserved, and the 718 is free to be 'ridiculously'*, 'how is this even possible?'* fast. I'm still trying to figure out how...

*actual quotes from German

·
Registered
638 Posts
The fastestlaps.com site has a nice Compare function, it pulls in times for any tracks which both cars have in common. Check out the 718S versus 991.1 -- which are quite close in power/weight ratio -- for some 'are you kidding me?' (another Thomas quote) track results.

No wonder the flat-six forums are in denial.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Interesting comparison. But how is the 718 S' 0-60 mph time slower than its 0-100 kph time?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to the forum Oliver! Just take your time to decide unless you're currently stranded without a var.

For teh comparison time, I assume they don't really want to make a few runs and find out the average acceleration time and just used the manufacturer provided one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't think fastestlaps.com uses manufacturer data, but 'cherry-picks' various published results from independent tests by reviewers. I too have noticed disparities between 0-100kph and 0-60mph times (which ought to be really close!) and I assume this is due to the metric figures coming from UK and European tests and the mph from separate testers in U.S. Different testers have different conditions, cars, methodologies, etc. thus accounting for some discrepancy....

It takes a little work, using the Compare feature, to analyze 718 results versus a range of other current/recent Porsches, then click through to the detail page for each car to check PDK/manual, power/weight ratio, etc. and factor all that into the numbers. Basically, to 'normalize' the raw data.

But that effort is rewarded with a fascinating insight into just how seriously quick the 718 chassis/engine package is. More than Porsche's own numbers reveal.

Not that I think track and straight-line speed is everything...just a good reflection of the overall dynamic envelope and engineering excellence of the package (which we can enjoy blasting around our local back roads or just trundling through town...).

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
A long time ago I did a similar 'normalise' exercise with 3 cars I was considering and then went out for a drive in each. I bought the one that was the most fun--not the one that won the comparison.

I did the same with my 718 Boxster--bought the car that was the most fun that is. I learned that paper comparisons are only good so far, and that experience is the real measuring stick.

Greg

·
Registered
638 Posts
paper comparisons are only good so far, and experience is the real measuring stick.
I agree, Greg, thanks for reminding me. Have gotten too caught up recently in all these 718 versus 9xx numbers, much better to just enjoy driving it and appreciate its looks and all-around performance package. And I did today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts