Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Cayman Base, Lava Orange, 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just joined this forum today, and I'm also expecting delivery today of a 2019 Cayman Base, Lava Orange, 6MT, w/ some nice options like 20" GTS wheels. It's a CPO w/ only 1571 miles on it, and it originally went into service on 10/1/19, so it is essentially a new car w/ almost the full 4/50 warranty left, and w/ 2 years of CPO additional warranty tacked on to the end. The car was originally leased by the Porsche sales manager at the dealership, and it's flawless. Buying a sports car during a pandemic can save one a lot of money.

I've owned dozens of high-powered sports cars, am totally over the obsession with HP, and the base will serve my needs perfectly for a nearly daily-driver, with great handling. I traded my C7 Corvette, and I'm returning to my roots w/ a lightweight, great handling sports car, as a former Lotus owner and track rat. However, I have no plans to track this Cayman.

My wife recently purchased an 2019 ND2 MX-5 Club, and that reminded me once again how much fun a lightweight can be, without big power. I've been stealing her car recently and leaving the C7 at home.

So hello to all, and I look forward to learning from your experiences with the 718.

·
Registered
762 Posts
@Foosh, consider joining the local PCA chapter. I have a 2019 base also (see signature below) and one of the 2019 specific things is that it came with PSE, which really helps sound aspect particularly if you pull the fuse on the Soundaktor (search the forum). Also, don't neglect the occasional HPDE. My club holds to weekend HPDEs, usually in June and in September, and I always get a hoot out of passing the Corvettes (not in the straight, of course).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. The car was delivered last night in an enclosed trailer. I've only taken a short drive but am definitely in love. The requisite picture is below, along with the Corvette I traded. Yes, I do have a "thing" for bright orange.

IMG_1649.JPG

·
Registered
324 Posts
I almost bought a 2019 Grand Sport in orange. The lines and color were so seductive! Two things stopped me dead in my tracks. 1. The local dealer was not interested in test drives (admittedly I didn't press that hard) and 2) my wife said to me "Corvette's aren't you". She was right. She saved me from chasing a bright shiny object.

Your Lava Orange is super!!!! Is that your MX5 in your picture? I love that color too. Better than my True Red 2008 MX5.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost bought a 2019 Grand Sport in orange. The lines and color were so seductive! Two things stopped me dead in my tracks. 1. The local dealer was not interested in test drives (admittedly I didn't press that hard) and 2) my wife said to me "Corvette's aren't you". She was right. She saved me from chasing a bright shiny object.

Your Lava Orange is super!!!! Is that your MX5 in your picture? I love that color too. Better than my True Red 2008 MX5.
Funny, "I don't see you as a Corvette" person was something I heard constantly from friends and colleagues. Truth is I've always been car agnostic. The C7 is really a fabulous car, and I've done both Level 1 and Level 2 high performance driving schools in them at Spring Mountain Motor Sports Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada.

The thing that finally made me want to let it go is that, dimensionally," it's a rather large car, and although it's relatively light by today's standards, it's still 400-500 lbs heavier than a base Cayman. As I said above, our new MX5 renewed my love for small, lightweight sports cars.

Here's our Soul Red MX5 ND2, 6MT Club model

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
102 Posts
STUNNING!!! love that color.... orange is my favorite color. I had some orange on my last car, but holy crap I love that color! Maybe I need to do a color change, and wrap my car in a color very similar to that. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts