Porsche 718 Forum banner

Gt4 ducktail

17K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Chronumn 
#1 ·
Hi. Has anyone ordered a ducktail from the new 718 gt4 at porsche? Wondering if it will fit all cayman 718?

#10 ·
Here's an option I just installed recently. I'd include pix of what it looks like on my agate gray base Cayman, but my underground condo garage is too dark. It does look great, however. I think it may be a little more shallow than the GT4 version so less likely to become a brake. It is part of an aero package that I've put together of TWL carbon fiber parts that I'm not going to repaint because of the color of my car. Two other parts I have and need to install are front splitter and rather aggressive rear diffuser. You can see versions of those at the same link.

#12 ·
When you look at the stock wing/spoiler while extended, it looks to have about a 40% forward cant and its bottom is rounded like an upside down wing. I'm thinking Bernoulli effect. The TWL duck tail has the same cant as the stock and not much more but rounded upper side back ridge, but it does exaggerate and extend the bottom roundness. I see an enhanced Bernoulli effect. Then again, I'm not an aeronautics engineer and I spent money on the thing, so I'm hoping it does more than just look cool! :)

#15 ·
You're ridiculous if you think that small spoiler (even the spyder) is going to make any kind of significant downforce or drag you can feel on the road lol. It's literally one inch taller at most.
@MG718 It is the policy of this forum to not allow personal attacks.

Do you want to re-phrase this, or do you want me to take care of it?

(Hint: You don't).

#25 ·
I'm also very interested in a ducktail look on the GTS. Following.

Oh, and yes, making small changes in the rear will most definitely upset the entire Porsche apple cart. I seem to recall this being a big issue in the 80's when people put whale tails on cars that didn't come factory with them and the front ends got VERY light on the highway. Regular highways, not race tracks or autobahns. So this needs to be addressed.

I would consider a fixed duck tail for looks and disable the moving hardware as a good trade-off.

#26 ·
I'm also very interested in a ducktail look on the GTS. Following.

Oh, and yes, making small changes in the rear will most definitely upset the entire Porsche apple cart. I seem to recall this being a big issue in the 80's when people put whale tails on cars that didn't come factory with them and the front ends got VERY light on the highway. Regular highways, not race tracks or autobahns. So this needs to be addressed.

I would consider a fixed duck tail for looks and disable the moving hardware as a good trade-off.
If you disassemble the rear aero without fitting a splitter of wing then you are asking for trouble as you WILL end up spinning at speed, the rear aero on a 718 actually is a splitter to cause turbulent air and NOT for down force it prevents negative pressure (lift)

if your worried about upsetting front end balance fitting a bigger spoiler then why not fit a 911 Turbo front splitter ?
it balances the car nicely,
PS ive have taken my vehicle up to a GPS recorded speed of 186 MPH - steady as a rock !

Front aero

Cheers

#27 ·
I think that on the Cayman, the spoiler/wing comes up much higher than on the Boxster and actually does function as a wing. If you look at the bottom of the OEM spoiler, as I know you have, it has the rounded bulge like the top of an airplane wing. Why else would it have that form if not for some aerodynamic purpose? I do agree with both you and @AdamIsAdam that it would be folly not to add a front splitter. I wish a splitter like yours was available when I put my TWL duck tail on my car. It was much more involved and fraught with opportunities to screw up as the TWL one.

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.