Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating the idea of installing a rear wing on my Cayman S, I already got Ohlins R&T and I think I'm ready to add the rear wing for both perrformance and looks. However, there are a lot of options on the market and I can not detect the differences between all of them, prices are also all over the place. So, I hope I can get experiences for each of the options amongst you fellow forum members.

NR Auto
US$ 1470
This was my first choice since the Suncoasparts project had it on, the crew chose it over the old one they had and are happy with it. Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock at this time.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Composite Concepts
US$ 1229
I've seen this wing on the @lsturbointeg build thread, looks very high quality but the brakets looks weird and different than the regular OEM look, the mounting points are two squares on each side that make it look a bit weird in pictures, maybe it looks killer in real life. Great option but still undecided.

Aliexpress
US$ 532
I really like this onem it has the correct brackets I like, the carbon fiber weave looks great and it seems to be an exact copy of the OEM GT4, I;'m not sure it NR Auto resells this wing or it's a lower quality one with subpar quality, the price is less than half of the more expensive options. I'd really like to hear experiences from forum members on this one.

Aliexpress
US$ 497
This seems to be the same wing as the last Aliexpress one but not 100% sure, it's also cheaper.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
With all respect, why would you want to put a GT4 wing on an S unless you plan on racing?

I find the beautiful subtle lines on the Cayman to be more than enough to send the blood pumping rather than adding something that it's not designed to have and I like the 'Touring' look. Also you risk upsetting the aerodynamic balance by adding a huge rear wing without the front aero to counterbalance it therefore running the risk of having a light front end when at speed.

The S is a brilliant model and you should be confident that just on looks alone it beats most cars.

Plus it looks like a GT4 wannabe. Sorry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Go big or go home. 😂👍🏼

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought the NR Auto wing. Looked at the options you listed above but also the following.
Getty Design - multiple options but their website sucks
Design by Jacob swan neck
Versus 981 GT4 swan neck

the last two were too aggressive without a proper front splitter like the one I posted about a couple months ago… Getty is nice but I didn’t want a deck lid. Hence why I also opted out of TechArt.

·
Registered
2019 GTS + SOUL
52 Posts
With all respect, why would you want to put a GT4 wing on an S unless you plan on racing?

I find the beautiful subtle lines on the Cayman to be more than enough to send the blood pumping rather than adding something that it's not designed to have and I like the 'Touring' look. Also you risk upsetting the aerodynamic balance by adding a huge rear wing without the front aero to counterbalance it therefore running the risk of having a light front end when at speed.

The S is a brilliant model and you should be confident that just on looks alone it beats most cars.

Plus it looks like a GT4 wannabe. Sorry.
Is a 911 992 GTS with a factory installed Aero kit a wannabe GT3 ?

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
Hopefully some of these options don’t actually create any real downforce. If they do, you would have to consider the mounting and how you will convey that force down to the axle. And of course you will have to figure out how to add similar downforce up front, which I think is much trickier in practice. if you really want downforce, I would build on the work done by Suncoast or some race team so that you’re aren’t spending all the time and money they did just getting to a working balance.

But assuming it’s just a cosmetic thing (Which would be better since it won’t upset the balance) then I say go for whichever one makes you happy when you see it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hopefully some of these options don’t actually create any real downforce. If they do, you would have to consider the mounting and how you will convey that force down to the axle. And of course you will have to figure out how to add similar downforce up front, which I think is much trickier in practice. if you really want downforce, I would build on the work done by Suncoast or some race team so that you’re aren’t spending all the time and money they did just getting to a working balance.

But assuming it’s just a cosmetic thing (Which would be better since it won’t upset the balance) then I say go for whichever one makes you happy when you see it.
The same SunCoast that has a Cayman S with a GT4 wing and just a TechArt front lip for downforce? This forum seems to greatly over exaggerate the rear wing. Heck, you drive a Spyder, which doesn't have a rear wing and the exact same front as a GT4... And you don't have a problem with extra downforce, do you?

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
The same SunCoast that has a Cayman S with a GT4 wing and just a TechArt front lip for downforce? This forum seems to greatly over exaggerate the rear wing. Heck, you drive a Spyder, which doesn't have a rear wing and the exact same front as a GT4... And you don't have a problem with extra downforce, do you?
the front of Spyder isnt same as GT4, for good reason. (Different channels, no pop out, smaller lip). There is some engineering that goes into making sure the balance is right. You’re talking about a company with wind tunnels and lots of tracks and an extensive professional testing program.

It’s good that suncoast is using off the shelf parts. My point is they went through some work trying and testing different options and I would suggest building on that work, and their testing, rather than guessing. Or better yet, a good club racing setup from a local PCA or SCCA friend would also be a good starting point.

I’ve had wings fail or the front splitter fall off on track. It’s definitely noticeable. And you definitely need to get whatever force you are generating down to the wheels, and that is not trivial.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
313 Posts
They require holes drilled in the hatch.

I'm in the non-fixed wing camp myself, and don't particularly care for the smiling vent on the front either. I'd do a GTS before a GT4.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I hope you don't think that even with actual down force of those wings you have to reinforce the trunk down to the axle .

Even if they would generate ~30kg down force (what I don't assume ) then the car structure would manage it properly . If you put for exame two packs of water bottles (24x1,5kg) on top of the back, nothing would happen with the car. (Two sides to the trunk lid, same as the nounting points)

This is not formula one with hundreds of kilos downforce

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
I hope you don't think that even with actual down force of those wings you have to reinforce the trunk down to the axle .

Even if they would generate ~30kg down force (what I don't assume ) then the car structure would manage it properly . If you put for exame two packs of water bottles (24x1,5kg) on top of the back, nothing would happen with the car. (Two sides to the trunk lid, same as the nounting points)

This is not formula one with hundreds of kilos downforce
yeah, I don’t know on the 718, but on the 996 and 997 people were seeing cracks or weakness in the trunk cover itself. The GT3s had a different structure to the trunk, and a different way that it sat on the car. I dont know if this is true in the 718 GT4 though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
yeah, I don’t know on the 718, but on the 996 and 997 people were seeing cracks or weakness in the trunk cover itself. The GT3s had a different structure to the trunk, and a different way that it sat on the car. I dont know if this is true in the 718 GT4 though.
agreed. Not sure it applies to the 718 given the typical mounting points. However on my 987 we had issues so we ended up cutting through the hatch and bolting to the frame…. Because racecar. Not a common application though.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Workwear

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

·
Registered
234 Posts
And yes... the aero was greatly imbalanced in this picture. The rear wing (made by Kognition) was made using the profile of the Benetton F1 rear wing. This was before I replaced the TechArt front splitter with one from Getty Design. The car used to push like crazy on high-speed turns (e.g. Turn 8 at Willowsprings).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts