Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Here are the parts that you get, I have arranged them in the order you'll use to assemble. The way these lock in on each other, there is no chance of this thing coming off or needing tape to hold it in place.

The intake (black piece) clips inside the scoop and once the black piece is in the car there is no way to remove the scoop other than to completely remove the intake.

excuse the dirty garage rug!

·
Registered
534 Posts
@HooosierDaddy Thanks for all of the great pictures, very interesting assembly, looking forward to getting this done!

I just sent another email to Suncoast, I ordered these nearly a month ago, they show as in stock since July 15th but no notification of shipment from them... :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are the parts that you get, I have arranged them in the order you'll use to assemble. The way these lock in on each other, there is no chance of this thing coming off or needing tape to hold it in place.

The intake (black piece) clips inside the scoop and once the black piece is in the car there is no way to remove the scoop other than to completely remove the intake.

excuse the dirty garage rug!
Thanks for posting.

Does that mean I got to take off my intake to take out my current black piece?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
checked with my local dealer for a quote on the painting.... wasted trip! Those fools are fuggin crazy! Sorry it's crumpled, I dug it out of the trash to show the insanity.

Went to the local German body shop and he quoted me $100-$150 each for the same thing. Wants the car for a day so he can ensure they match and even gave me a tour of his facility and the cars he's been restoring. He came highly recommended and after meeting him I'm 100% comfortable with him doing the work.

Dealer - $717.00 (Minimum)
Indy Shop - $300 (Max)

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
@HooosierDaddy the dealer quote for painting the scoops is what I call a 'stink bid', they don't really want to do it but if you are OK with the $717 rip off, sure they'll take it on... (n)
Yea, I just don't get 9 hours of labor? Plus they quoted it as if it were an insurance claim?

They're also a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer and those being the core of their body shop work. They need a dedicated Porsche body shop, because I don't want to leave the Porsche dealer to visit the Dodge body shop.

Also... I now remember how this same shop is the one that buggered up the Satellite antenna replacement with a dented roof, scratched rear quarters and runs in the paint on the antenna. It was a warranty issue so I took it to the Porsche dealer... ends up they sent it to Dodge next door :mad:.

Its good now, but they had to have a third party make the repairs after 2 failed attempts. Should have left the stupid antenna alone, it's not like I subscribe to XM Radio, but I so want my car to be a 100%.

·
Registered
827 Posts
@HooosierDaddy the dealer quote for painting the scoops is what I call a 'stink bid', they don't really want to do it but if you are OK with the $717 rip off, sure they'll take it on... (n)
That and they will farm the job out to their preferred body shop. They don't do painting and body work in-house. So they're paying the 300 bucks to a sub and then tacking on their vig :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
My rule: If at all possible and if paying OOP, never have ANYthing done at a dealer that the dealer normally farms to a third party. This (typically) includes paintwork (including powder coating: think wheels), paint protection, major bodywork, window tinting, and detailing, among other services.

The two exceptions are:
  • Paintwork/bodywork IF the dealer has its own full body shop. I'm fortunate that my dealer has this. Most don't.
  • Situations where you're comfortable with paying roughly double for services performed. I had my wheels powder coated gloss black (and had black center caps sourced and installed) by my dealer before I took delivery of my car new. The dealer charged about $500 more for this than it would have cost for me to do it on my own. I considered it a 'convenience fee'. :)

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
😟

The problem with a unique colour is matching said colour! He's apparently having trouble getting it just right. I appreciate the desire for perfection, I just hope he achieves it! Tomorrow makes 5 days... not a huge deal just getting antsy to have it back! It's just two scoops (not ice cream) so I understand the need to keep up with the normal schedule on jobs that actually pay the bills. Anyway... that's my sob story for the day!

On the plus side, Model 3 got window tint today! Glass roof was getting a little toasty on the old bald spot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow 5 days sure does seem like a lot for the scoops. I would think something like that could even be a same day turnaround.

·
Registered
534 Posts
😟

The problem with a unique colour is matching said colour! He's apparently having trouble getting it just right. I appreciate the desire for perfection, I just hope he achieves it! Tomorrow makes 5 days... not a huge deal just getting antsy to have it back! It's just two scoops (not ice cream) so I understand the need to keep up with the normal schedule on jobs that actually pay the bills. Anyway... that's my sob story for the day!

On the plus side, Model 3 got window tint today! Glass roof was getting a little toasty on the old bald spot.
I forget what unusual colour you car is, some paint-to-sample tri-coat metallic?

At least you have started on this, I ordered mine on a few days after you did and they don't appear to have shipped yet!!

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I forget what unusual colour you car is, some paint-to-sample tri-coat metallic?

At least you have started on this, I ordered mine on a few days after you did and they don't appear to have shipped yet!!
It's just Miami Blue? Sure it's a premium (very premium price apparently) colour but noting that's one off.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's just Miami Blue? Sure it's a premium (very premium price apparently) colour but noting that's one off.
Miami Blue is a beautiful colour but given lighting it may well be hard to colour match!

So I made a decision this morning and cancelled my scoop order (not yet fulfilled), My Spyder is Chalk and one of the reasons I went with that colour was to emphasize the black accents, the scoops would have hidden a major one on each side of the car.

I think the scoops will look great on your Cayman, don't forget a picture or two when she is done!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts