Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when GT4 was released, I was very excited and could not sleep in the night. I stopped myself from ordering one; it was hard.
When GTS 4.0 was announced this year in Jan 16, I made some phone calls immediately and went to dealer on Jan 18 and made the order.

Delivery date was supposed to be in May. There is another dealer who had one coming in April but with no discount so I decide to wait 1 extra month. Boy what a mistake because later came the COVID19 and factory was closed. My car was only built in the end of June and I could only pickup in the factory in July.

I have almost no options, only with parking sensor, heated seat (for next owner probably) and that is it.

Before entering the building of Leipzig factory there are a few cool racing cars:

After entering the gate:

Locker:

The cafe where you wait; outside is racetarck.

Racetrack intro:

There is a turn which is very similar to a turn in nurburgring which is a tilted 180 turn; threre is another turn which is like the famous turn at laguna seca, with a left and a right then you drop many meters (here I think it's very small, like drop 1-2 meter maybe)

I thought you could drive your own car on the track; turned out they prepared a car which is similar to what you ordered. So I drove a boxster GTS 4.0. Very impressed. I never did a test drive of the GTS 4.0. Only 2.5.

Then it's a 3 course meal with drinks and coffees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
10 pics per post, sorry, continue:

The food is very good. I don't know how much it costs if you just go there and eat in the restaurant, but I think I'd pay 75-100 EUR for it per person.

The view from the restaurant is also fantastic with an overview of the whole racetrack:

At last of course is the hand over:

Then is the must-have photo with the building:

Factory tour was a little underwhelming. I would not call it "factory" tour; more of an "assemble line" tour, where you can only see workers assemble the car like a big lego; nothing interesting. You don't see how metal becomes the body framework or how the body is painted or how the transmission and engine are built. Also only German is available; maybe in non-corona period when there are enough English guests they can do a English tour. But of course if you ask questions they answer you in English.

They said they have about 10-24 factory pickup every workday; and they don't work in August because of holiday. I guess that gives around 3000 lucky owners every year who can do the factory pickup in Leipzig and drive on the track, and I'm happy to be lucky enough to be one of them :)

The track driving lasted about 30min. You can change driver in between. Then you can choose to continue driving for about 20min or go to the offroad track. I decided to go to the offroad track to see how Macan performs there since I am also interested in that car. Very impressive and capable as a city SUV with standard winter tires in short. But if I buy an SUV maybe I buy an X5 haha.

Took the car for a 1 week road trip around 1800km immediately after picking up, and here's some random thought:

• one thing I noticed that is a noise noticeable when windows up and no music and around 3-4k RPM. I think it's some part of the engine like valve belt or fuel injector or fan or something; a little bothering because you cruise in this range very often. Above 4k you don't hear it because engine/exaust noise is too loud. Other than this I can live with it for some long continental crushing grand tours
  • maybe -2cm suspension is a little too low for poor road conditions. I think I scratched the bottom of the front a little bit. Most of the time is OK especially near where I live
  • as an expensive car the interior quality isn't as good but I can live with that. I know I'm not buying a luxury car
Cheers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Lovely car and it looks like you still had a great experience. I definitely regret not picking up my GTS at the Atlanta Experience Center.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Beautiful!

Do euro-market cars not have headlamp washers?
Yeah, I noticed that. And are the headlights not upgraded to the 35 watt Bi-Xenon black ones?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Picked up my car a few years ago in Leipzig. I really enjoyed the factory tour. It lasted 90 minutes with a lot of Q&A. Actually it was the best part of the delivery experience for me. My wife got a real kick out of the Porsche shaped butter in the restaurant.

I agree the off-road in the Macan was surprising. It did much better than I expected and even already owned one.

They did foul up the paperwork for two out of the three cars being delivered so we had wait an extra 3-4 hours while they got that straightened out.

I also opted for 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks for the insurance. That was a complete sh!tshow in terms of paperwork. In the end, they didn't charge me for the additional 2 weeks. PCNA said they would absorb the cost because Porsche AG and PCNA somehow couldn't agree on the costs for the two extra weeks even though I had a sheet of paper with all the numbers on it that was sent to me by PCNA. Go figure...

I also got a speeding ticket in Germany within 45 minutes from leaving the factory...another souvenir.:oops: Speed cameras are everywhere and a real nuisance even with Waze.

Overall it was a great pickup and would do it again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You were able to delete the headlamp washers?
Headlight washers are only required with the 35W Xenon lights. These may be 25W.
Although I also seem to recall that Porsche have done away with them completely on the new 992.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Headlight washers are only required with the 35W Xenon lights. These may be 25W.
Although I also seem to recall that Porsche have done away with them completely on the new 992.
Thanks! I wonder why that would be? In any case, US cars are equipped with them regardless of the headlamp option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts