Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a GT4 soon with the Full Buckets seats and I want to add a harness bar and 6-pt harnesses. How does Porsche NA feel about these modifications? I'm a little concerned that adding these will void the warranty.

Anyone have a track prepped car with some insight? Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, since you're from the states, wasn't there a law that states unless manufacture can prove that the modification caused the malfunction of the part, they cannot void the warranty of that part?
But to answer your question, it really depends on the dealer. I'm in Ontario, Canada, and we have a dealer that hosts track days and encourage people to go while giving free track inspections while also providing warranty repairs should there be any problems that occur during the track day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Getting a GT4 soon with the Full Buckets seats and I want to add a harness bar and 6-pt harnesses. How does Porsche NA feel about these modifications? I'm a little concerned that adding these will void the warranty.

Any good dealer isn't going to care you track your car. If you do a tune and have a failure the dealer may not go to bat for you but a roll bar etc. has no impact on any warrantied failure points so it's a mute point.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Porsche will void the warranty if the car is tracked, so if your planning to track the car it doesn’t make any difference what you fit anyway (thats for the EU I’m also fairly sure that’s the official standing world wide)

·
Registered
14 Posts
This isn't true in the US regardless of what it says. Tons of cars are tracked and warranty work is carried out all the time as long as it isn't misuse/abuse. Track driving in itself is not abuse/misuse. It is really up to your dealer to determine and work with Porsche NA for warranty claims. The official warranty language states failures during track events 'may" not be covered...

·
Registered
539 Posts
that act counts for nothing if the car has been used on a track - that’s certainly the way it goes In Euroland, a quick google also points towards the USA warranty being void as well - but who would know right?
I’m a firm believer in pay to play, owning a heavily modded 718 that has absolutely no chance of a warranty claim be it for stitching coming loose or whatever.
the chances of the car needing any costly repairs are small as the platform is a pedigree design and been around for years - there is no Achilles’ tendon reported
mod to your hearts content and enjoy.
👍

·
Registered
539 Posts
This isn't true in the US regardless of what it says. Tons of cars are tracked and warranty work is carried out all the time as long as it isn't misuse/abuse. Track driving in itself is not abuse/misuse. It is really up to your dealer to determine and work with Porsche NA for warranty claims. The official warranty language states failures during track events 'may" not be covered...
Your actually saying that an official Porsche disclaimer isn‘t true?, wow.
There is a saying it goes along the lines of two wrongs don’t make a right - yeah?
just because dealerships take a blind eye to tracking does not mean that your warranty will be ok, go make a claim with an engine in bits and tell the Porsche official warranty investigating officer that you were on the track - I dare you
The get out clause for Porsche is servicing carried out for tracking - please tell me what this servicing schedule entails??

i am sure that no one knows so Porsche can say that the warranty is void as the circumstances of use were not in line with the servicing carried out to take account of motorsport use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a warranty issue with the coolant sensor fixed by my local dealer (USA), and they knew that I track my car. After the first fix, I kept getting a coolant error, but only on track. I was truthful with them about when I would get the error and they still did the troubleshooting and fixed it.

Not sure what the official policy is but that's my experience. I do not have engine mods. Since this issue I have put a half cage (safer than a harness bar but that's a different topic), Recaro seats, and harnesses in and my local dealer doesn't seem to care. I also haven't had any warranty issues so I haven't tested it.

I have a 2018 2.0 - so my risk factor is lower than if I had a GT4. I'm close to getting my GT4 allocation and plan to install a half cage and harnesses for track use when I get it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Funny thing about Porsche and warranties and what can and cannot/should not be done. A friend of mine just traded in his GT3 for an allocation of a 2022 GT3. I was at the dealership when his car came out of the back shop. The reason it was in the shop was to remove the cage that they installed when they originally delivered the car so he could track the car. Car is still under warranty being a 2018. The only reason they took it out is so they can sell it as a certified pre-owned. From my understanding, the cages cannot be in US delivered cars from the factory. Not sure if this is a DoT reg or not. The cage is shipped separately then installed by the dealer. So which way is ups and which way is down at a Porsche dealership and according to Porsche guidelines?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh just to add to the above. His car was sold as a certified pre-owned. When we spoke about his deal and the allocation, I asked him why he didn't tell me he was letting it go. He said he "beat the %$#@ out of that car on the track and you wouldn't want it". So lesson here is, certified, warranty, it's all a mixed bag of what ever the dealership wants to do with things. They sold the car with an extended warranty knowing it was tracked a lot and tracked hard. Put a spit shine on %$#$ and it looks good to go. The car was shipped out to a buyer out of state. Now that guy has to deal with a dealership with unknown issues that is still under warranty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
He said he "beat the %$#@ out of that car on the track and you wouldn't want it".... They sold the car with an extended warranty knowing it was tracked a lot and tracked hard. Put a spit shine on %$#$ and it looks good to go. The car was shipped out to a buyer out of state. Now that guy has to deal with a dealership with unknown issues that is still under warranty.
Track use just by itself isn't necessarily a super-horrible thing. "Beating the %$#@ out [of it]" works on the public roads as well as on the track. Just, that on the track, the probability of 'stupid' is 5 to 10 times higher per mile.

Be glad most Porsche junkies go to road courses. Where do ya think 'Murican Muscle junkies go? The drag strip. The drag strip is at least 10x the %$#@ out [of it]" factor as a road course on an 1/8-mile basis.

So lesson here is, certified, warranty, it's all a mixed bag of what ever the dealership wants to do with things.
There are many stories about CPO horror stories. In one case a dealer was selling a 991 wherein "we" (the Interw3bz) knew that it had had significant body damage.

There's plenty of evidence that some dealers don't even bother to do the CPO inspection. They just fill-out the docs with all check-marks and pay for the warranty.

Bottom line is that CPO is a warranty and there's no guarantee that the car wasn't hit by a train and repaired.

CPO brings some peace of mind. But, always do an inspection unless you are totally sure of the reputation of the seller.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Track use just by itself isn't necessarily a super-horrible thing. "Beating the %$#@ out [of it]" works on the public roads as well as on the track. Just, that on the track, the probability of 'stupid' is 5 to 10 times higher per mile.

Be glad most Porsche junkies go to road courses. Where do ya think 'Murican Muscle junkies go? The drag strip. The drag strip is at least 10x the %$#@ out [of it]" factor as a road course on an 1/8-mile basis.

There are many stories about CPO horror stories. In one case a dealer was selling a 991 wherein "we" (the Interw3bz) knew that it had had significant body damage.

There's plenty of evidence that some dealers don't even bother to do the CPO inspection. They just fill-out the docs with all check-marks and pay for the warranty.

Bottom line is that CPO is a warranty and there's no guarantee that the car wasn't hit by a train and repaired.

CPO brings some peace of mind. But, always do an inspection unless you are totally sure of the reputation of the seller.
Can't argue with any of your reasoning. He was just being honest with me as he knows I'm looking for something 911. Though I did ask him about not keeping me posted on his intent, I would not have been interested in his car. It had racing buckets for one. Also, he was able to obtain the allocation because of the trade-in. Obviously and especially now given the market, the new GT3 is the hottest Porsche commodity out there. I know two guys that will be getting theirs at the end of the year. One will be fitted with hand controls. He has limited use of his legs due to a car accident. And yes, he tracks his cars and seriously.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Towards the OP's question, keep in mind that many DE and club racing organizations require the same level of safety equipment for both driver and passenger (instructor), so you may need two sets of harnesses—check with the groups you drive with.

Also, with the bucket seats the driver's side already has a hole cut in the seat pan, and a slot in the seat pad, to feed the leg straps through. However, the passenger's seat doesn't! Fortunately I found a few threads over on Rennlist that show how to make the modifications:

Frustratingly, some folks have claimed that PCA won't pass your car at tech if you've cut the seat pan, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

I ended up going with the Competition Motorsports roll bar, sub strap mounts, and the Sabelt harnesses made specifically to work with our bucket seats. CMS also has pre-cut interior trim to make the install look very clean. Everything should be here in a month or so—too late for this year's events, but something to look forward to enjoying come next year!

·
Vendor
330 Posts

We haven't had any issues with BBI or Cantrell roll bars and and harnesses with warranties. Zero, none.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts