Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car I purchased has the base headlights.

I'd potentially like the LEDs or the upgraded bi-xenons.

anyone know if it's possible to install one of those headlight options later? I know the headlights themselves don't pop out easily like they used to, but not sure if there's more to it than just replacing housings and programming control units or if there's extra stuff beyond that, ec.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Replacing der headlight is easy. There is a switch inside der frunk. Then you can remove them easily.
I see good chances that the upgraded bi-xenons will work plug and play. But I expect you have to program the new lights into the car.
Possible that this work with the LEDs the same way. Your Porsche dealer could open a ticket with HQ in germany to get the information.
But it will be quite expensive, I am not sure if it worth it. The upgrade to LED could be worth it, if you drive a lot in the dark.

You may have a look in ebay to get second hand headlights and after your change, sell your headlights there. Then the financial damage is not so big.

Reactions: wdr911

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing der headlight is easy. There is a switch inside der frunk. Then you can remove them easily.
From what I remember reading, you need to take the front off now as they changed the light retention mechanism from the 981s. But I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It might be possible, as similar conversions have have been done on other Porsche models. But there may be restrictions on upgrading to LED's if you don't already have the bi-xenons with PDLS+.

You'd want to buy a conversion kit, as there are many components involved. I would expect that activation with PIWIS is required, as that's what's been reported for headlight conversions on other models.

An LED conversion kit would likely be in the $3300 range, plus installation......so you'll have to ask yourself whether it's worth pursuing.
As an example, the links below are for an LED conversion on a Macan.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUMACANLED.html

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/modifications/131010-bi-xenon-led-conversion.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
go to the porsche tequipment page for all kings of dealer installed accessories, including the bi-zenon lamps. $4300. not sure if that includes labor. no led's offered, that i could find.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
go to the porsche tequipment page for all kings of dealer installed accessories, including the bi-zenon lamps. $4300. not sure if that includes labor. no led's offered, that i could find.
Thats a No Go if you have the standard i wants pdls......

Best is to upgrade ballast and bulb to 35W

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contact suncoastparts.com. They may be able to get them for you and tell you what needs to be done.
I questioned Suncoast about the conversion and told me...

Sorry but Porsche don't offer any LED upgrade for the headlamps on your model, sorry.

Here is what they offer.

Black Headlight Housings (Xenon)

Tinted Tail Lights (718)

There are no covers for airbags available, you will need to buy a new airbag.

Replacement Airbag (2017+)

Thank you for contacting Suncoastparts.com

Aldo R

That's what I was told.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts