Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Some of you may already know me from other forums, but if not, my name's Nick Akin and I'm the director of Porsche product development at Musicar Northwest in Portland, OR. We design and assemble high-end plug and play audio upgrades for the 718, 981, and 991 platforms. I've seen a good number of folks over here asking questions about audio and requesting help/guidance, so I decided to become a member to see if I can offer some direct assistance.

Furthermore, I'm interested in being a part of the 718 community as a prospective owner. A Spyder is on my short list once I get enough extra space for another car(and convince the boss that we need a convertible)!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey everyone!

Some of you may already know me from other forums, but if not, my name's Nick Akin and I'm the director of Porsche product development at Musicar Northwest in Portland, OR. We design and assemble high-end plug and play audio upgrades for the 718, 981, and 991 platforms. I've seen a good number of folks over here asking questions about audio and requesting help/guidance, so I decided to become a member to see if I can offer some direct assistance.

Furthermore, I'm interested in being a part of the 718 community as a prospective owner. A Spyder is on my short list once I get enough extra space for another car(and convince the boss that we need a convertible)!
Thanks for the offer of help and advice. I for one will be upgrading my speakers, once out of warranty...shame that I live across the pond from you. I have read with much interest your upgrade stages but my UK option seems limited to the Audison Prima APK 163 kit and add in some panel resonance deadening adhesive matting. You have picked a terrific car to be considering

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the offer of help and advice. I for one will be upgrading my speakers, once out of warranty...shame that I live across the pond from you. I have read with much interest your upgrade stages but my UK option seems limited to the Audison Prima APK 163 kit and add in some panel resonance deadening adhesive matting. You have picked a terrific car to be considering
There are definitely more options than just the Prima kit(not a huge fan of their woofers). We've also been toying with the idea of providing RHD support — Which system are you starting with?

Welcome! you have the Spyder on your short list, and I have your Musicar Stage 3 on my shortlist for my Spyder! I look forward to sharing notes.
Hahah, I love it.

I have yet to really "drive" a 718 Spyder other than at low-speed cruising/travel speeds, but I fell in love with the 981 Spyder a few years ago. Went on a two-hour drive in one through the Columbia Gorge with the top down and ended up at an AutoX on a decommissioned airstrip. It was perfectly balanced for both the commute and the event. I'm sure the 718 is just a well-refined version of that experience.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I have yet to really "drive" a 718 Spyder other than at low-speed cruising/travel speeds, but I fell in love with the 981 Spyder a few years ago. Went on a two-hour drive in one through the Columbia Gorge with the top down and ended up at an AutoX on a decommissioned airstrip. It was perfectly balanced for both the commute and the event. I'm sure the 718 is just a well-refined version of that experience.
I had never seen a 718 Spyder in person until it rolled out of the truck in front of our house. I'm generally really happy with it.

I've had the burmester system on other Porsches and Mercedes and not ever been that impressed. To me they have been too bright or on the edge of it. And timing/rhythm problems in the 991 and 970 were annoying to me. I have not heard the 718 implementation of the Burmester, so it may be much better, but I wasn't going to take that risk again (having already spent probably $20k on their stuff and been unhappy).

But I can't hear the Musicar stuff either where I live (VA), so that's why I'm hesitant. But I do like how you guys describe your system and seems to sort of line up with what I care about in music. So at some point I'll bite the bullet and give it a shot, I guess. I'm not trying to replicate my home systems, but I want something where I can enjoy some music sometimes and not just go back to audiobooks all the time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi Nick, tell me how giving your team $995 is a better play than Bose for $995. Im lean on my options: PDK, Red leather 2 tone seats, GT steering wheel, leather crests and BOSE. Every penny counts for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Props for Nick. Even though I'm still mulling options, he recently provided very thorough info regarding his systems and the fit for my base 718. I too have my concerns about the bottom-line acoustics of our cars, but he was not stingy with useful information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nick, tell me how giving your team $995 is a better play than Bose for $995. Im lean on my options: PDK, Red leather 2 tone seats, GT steering wheel, leather crests and BOSE. Every penny counts for me.
I don't think that giving us $995 instead of optioning Bose is, in general, a "good play" as you put it. It really depends on what's important to you and what your goals are with the audio. I think that if you're working within a budget, go for the Bose system since it offers more out the gate. As much as I don't like Bose, I think I would still rather have stock Bose than Base(Sound Package Plus) with our Stage One — especially if you're looking at a Boxster.

Just DM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are definitely more options than just the Prima kit(not a huge fan of their woofers). We've also been toying with the idea of providing RHD support — Which system are you starting with
I have the basic Porsche 6 speaker system in a Boxster. I am a pensioner on a fixed income and built a car that we could afford so the Burmester was out of the question. There was no way I was going to put anything Bose anywhere near my car, over the years I have attended far too many Bose auditions for home and cinema kit with humped mid bass, bloated mids and attenuated highs........I used to have good ears as a young man and I put together low cost systems for friends and family, often using British made entry level kit that was picked up in sales and on the pre loved markets. My home system is now 30 years old but is all British built by a company called Linn in Glasgow Scotland. If I am commuting by train or plane I use IEM's by Shure and for headphone listening I have some old Grado open backed cans. I made my wife a 5.1 system for her movies using a Denon 5.1 amp and some wonderful speakers by DALI.

I know that open top driving in a Boxster will never give me sound staging or instrumental placing like even a a cheap home kit but If I could improve the clarity, bring the vocals a bit forward and reduce the top end sibilance whilst maintaining some detail in guitar, strings and percussion, that will be golden..........but to be fair.. it isn't bad when just sitting at traffic lights

We used to have a saying in the home hifi community that friends don't let friends buy Bose equipment.

I hope you get your dream car and many thanks for offering your time to help us all here in Porsche madness.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't think that giving us $995 instead of optioning Bose is, in general, a "good play" as you put it. It really depends on what's important to you and what your goals are with the audio. I think that if you're working within a budget, go for the Bose system since it offers more out the gate. As much as I don't like Bose, I think I would still rather have stock Bose than Base(Sound Package Plus) with our Stage One — especially if you're looking at a Boxster.

Just DM me if you have questions.
I guess what I’m asking is if I start with the base system and spend $995 with you, will it be better than the Bose?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I guess what I’m asking is if I start with the base system and spend $995 with you, will it be better than the Bose?
He answered that in the post you're quoting:

"I think that if you're working within a budget, go for the Bose system since it offers more out the gate. As much as I don't like Bose, I think I would still rather have stock Bose than Base(Sound Package Plus) with our Stage One — especially if you're looking at a Boxster."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He answered that in the post you're quoting:

"I think that if you're working within a budget, go for the Bose system since it offers more out the gate. As much as I don't like Bose, I think I would still rather have stock Bose than Base(Sound Package Plus) with our Stage One — especially if you're looking at a Boxster."
I tried to, but I'll elaborate slightly.

If your absolute cap is $995, you only have two options.

1 — Option the Bose System

The Bose system will have more overall volume capability since it has a dedicated amplifier and more speakers. This can be important for a Boxster since we need to overcome the road /wind noise more than a Cayman.

2 — Option Base Stereo and Upgrade to our Stage One Plus ($895 + shipping)

The Base Stereo with Stage One will have better resolution at lower volumes but will not keep up at high volume. This is why I say that the value of your investment depends on what's important to you.

If you had more budget to play with, I would say that the best "bang for your buck" is to option Base Stereo and install the Stage Two kit. That puts you at $2,695 and you get better audio performance than Bose in all categories.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the base sound system, would a stage one (only tweeters) from musicar change the quality of the sound dramatically?
We've shipped about two dozen pairs for Sound Package Plus(base audio) cars over the last couple months and haven't had anyone tell me they didn't appreciate the difference. I try to urge folks to go Stage One Plus which includes the pre-cut sound damping for the doors. Those two things are the most impact you can make for the least investment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been waiting on a reply on a request for quote sent by email for a stage 1 system from musicar for ever 3 weeks with no reply.

If you can pm a quote a stage 1 and stage 1+ here, it'd would be great

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been waiting on a reply on a request for quote sent by email for a stage 1 system from musicar for ever 3 weeks with no reply.

If you can pm a quote a stage 1 and stage 1+ here, it'd would be great
DM me your email address so I can make sure it didn't get filtered or go to spam. We've had an unprecedented number of inquiries come through in the last couple months so some things get missed, but we strive for 100% response.

I'll send you a DM now with pricing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you had more budget to play with, I would say that the best "bang for your buck" is to option Base Stereo and install the Stage Two kit. That puts you at $2,695 and you get better audio performance than Bose in all categories.

this is what I’ll do, THX!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nick, could you spell it out clearly what the three stages are for PSS and for BOSE in separate posts. I am confused AF, as I read the thread on another forum, this is what I am taking away for PSS:

Stage 1 Tweeters
Stage 2 Amp
Stage 3 Another amp and midrange and woofer, does this amp replace the amp above or is it a secondary unit?

All of which can be plussed by the addition of precut adhesive damping mats
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts