Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I discovered this forum around October last year and have finally decided to sign up. Back then I went for an exploratory look at a 718 Cayman S in Miami Blue at one of the dealers here in Auckland (we only have two) with the view to possibly treating myself for a milestone birthday later this year. Since then i've been doing a lot of research and spending a lot of time on the configurator. This week I was invited to "Drive The Range" courtesy of the dealer; which was very illuminating. The Macan didn't do much for me; the Panamera was very impressive and felt a lot smaller than it's size; the Boxster was a lot of fun and my partners favourite; the Cayman gave me the thrills i'm after, and the Carerra was pure class.

My current car is a Megane Renaultsport 265 Cup in Liquid Yellow, which I was able to spec how I wanted (much like Porsche but with far fewer options). European members may know the car although Stateside members less so. It is a cracking car that I absolutely love - 265ps, 360nm, Cup chassis, limited slip differential, and looks gorgeous, especially in Liquid Yellow. You'd be hard pressed to find another car that offers more engagement at it's price. Buying the car marked the completion of a journey for me as my father raced Renaults both on and off track, and my first car was also a Renault.

However growing up my dream car was always a Porsche and now i'm hoping to make it a reality. I've got my heart set in a 718 Cayman S with a lot of boxes ticked (even though the standard spec in NZ is very impressive, but then again it should be for the price!).

I've got a lot more to learn, say and share but figure i've said enough for now.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome to our forum. You will find that our members possess a lot of information and opinions that they are happy to share. And I mean that in the best way possible. You have definitely found the right place.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looked back at my first post on the forum, it's been quite a journey since then. There have been a few roadblocks, a lot of nights researching, learning and contributing to this forum, or on the configurator; but tomorrow I finally take delivery of my very first Porsche.

It's nothing like the car I thought was the most I could afford or what I believed was my "dream spec" car. Since then I've had time to explore quite a few detours and came very close to buying a 981 GT4 earlier this year, until the owner withdrew it from sale just as I was about to put in an offer.

More to follow in the new owners section...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Just looked back at my first post on the forum, it's been quite a journey since then. There have been a few roadblocks, a lot of nights researching, learning and contributing to this forum, or on the configurator; but tomorrow I finally take delivery of my very first Porsche.

It's nothing like the car I thought was the most I could afford or what I believed was my "dream spec" car. Since then I've had time to explore quite a few detours and came very close to buying a 981 GT4 earlier this year, until the owner withdrew it from sale just as I was about to put in an offer.

More to follow in the new owners section...
So have you pulled the trigger or are you still in the hunting phase?

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,405 Posts
@Chris NZ, have you ever watched the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian"? Either it should be required watching there, or here in the U.S. It's a 2005 movie, but I've just seen it. Fantastic.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Chris NZ, have you ever watched the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian"? Either it should be required watching there, or here in the U.S. It's a 2005 movie, but I've just seen it. Fantastic.
Yes I have, Burt Munro is a legend here and his exploits in the search of speed are celebrated annually on the same beach he used to run his bikes on.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,405 Posts
Yes I have, Burt Munro is a legend here and his exploits in the search of speed are celebrated annually on the same beach he used to run his bikes on.
That is so good to hear. The man was amazing in so many ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts