Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just posting to Say hello. Just bought into the Porsche thing again with a 2018 Graphite blue Cayman 718. I have owned a few other P cars and many others. I keep coming back to the Cayman. I love the new motor. I spent way too much time winding out the last ones to get the performance I wanted .

My biggest complaint is I have to be nice to it until the end of Break-in. This is the hardest to deal with. I had never bought any of my past cars new. hence no break in period.
Wife is already looking at this as her next car.

Andrew ssmv650

Reactions: ZuffenHouseRules

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome Andrew. I'm the next state over (NJ).

We put the first 1500 miles on our base Cayman driving it home from Atlanta last month (we did the Porsche Experience Center delivery).

Our 718 is almost at 1700 miles now so for us, it's *close*. We've had new cars in the past but most have only needed 500 or 1000 miles to break in.....I've been careful so far (never had the boost over 3 psi) but as things get closer, I'm more and more tempted. Enjoy your's!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have to laugh (at my own impatience) at the reverent approach to break-in shown around here in this and so many threads.

Following the advice of my PCA track-guru SA, I avoided only: tracking the new car, long freeway stints at constant rpm, and bouncing repeatedly off the rev-limiter. Otherwise I unleashed it at all rpm other than the last 2k to redline, gradually eroding that buffer with every additional few hundred miles. Which is pretty much the same regime followed with my 987 S, which went its full 12 years without a single mechanical issue.

But if waiting 2k miles to experience peak power is within your willpower, I salute you!

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I keep coming back to the Cayman. I love the new motor. I spent way too much time winding out the last ones to get the performance I wanted.
Now this is a guy who 'gets it'. Welcome! (And by the way: How does "Pennsyltucky" work when you've got that Wheeling-anchored sliver of West Virginia getting in the way?!?)

My biggest complaint is I have to be nice to it until the end of Break-in.
I wouldn't go as nuts as @ZuffenHouseRules did, but if you don't sweat the occasional squirt to 6K, don't go WOT, and don't play with things like Launch Control and the "boost" button (if you have Sport Chrono with PDK), you car will be fine ... and I'd aim for 1,500 miles, not 2K. Remember that Porsche runs in every motor after assembly ... I broke my car in partially during a 2,500-mile road trip so I totally get the frustration of restraint. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. I will attempt to not exceed the break-in instructions too much. I had during the test drive.
What I have found is cruise control is going to be my friend. I am amazed how much self control it takes to drive the car on the highway in a semi legal fashion.

I will need to find a low key track day over here in the spring. Stay away from the tuning sites and not go anywhere I can hear other exhausts on my model.

I went out for lunch from the office today and forgot to get food drove around most of the time.

ssmv650

·
Registered
476 Posts
I will need to find a low key track day over here in the spring.
the NORPCA has an event at mid-ohio (quite possibly the best road course in the entire country!) the second week of may and will have another weekend at pitt race (formerly beaver run) in june or july. i'll be at both. if you want more info just let me know.

ClubRegistration.net is a great site to search and sign up for track events.

·
Registered
720 Posts
.......What I have found is cruise control is going to be my friend. I am amazed how much self control it takes to drive the car on the highway in a semi legal fashion.
ssmv650
Actually, I would not use cruise control during break-in.

The typical recommendation (across many manufacturers) is to vary speed and avoid running at one speed for too long.

I've read all sorts of explanations on this and I'm still not sure it's really needed......but just to be safe I'll at least remind you that avoiding usage of cruise control is a popular notion.

I drove my new Cayman back to NJ from Atlanta (1500 miles) and never used cruise control once.

Mine has 1850 miles total as of yesterday and I'm starting to use a bit more throttle. Even my 2.0 car is surprisingly peppy. Yesterday on the Garden State Parkway, I accelerated while climbing the Driscoll Bridge......and ahem....suddenly realized I was going faster on the GSP than I had ever gone in my life.
And as Mr. Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that". :)

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
<snips>if you don't sweat the occasional squirt to 6K, don't go WOT, and don't play with things like Launch Control and the "boost" button (if you have Sport Chrono with PDK), you car will be fine ... and I'd aim for 1,500 miles, not 2K. Remember that Porsche runs in every motor after assembly ...
I've not heard that the run them in, but I know they do run them briefly to check that all is well.

There is a post somewhere (!) where a Porsche engineer is mentioned as saying that the factory run is too short to get all the parts up to temperature and during the run-in period it is important to do that as well as what Viffermike recommends.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Reactions: TheLip

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have owned a few other P cars and many others. I keep coming back to the Cayman. I love the new motor. I spent way too much time winding out the last ones to get the performance I wanted .
Welcome Andrew!!!

I just love it when owners of the previous flat six engine praise the 718 engine.

·
892 Posts
Funny, I hate cruise control. Never use it. Am I alone in that?
I'm not a big fan of regular cruise control as nowadays many areas of the U.K road network are just too busy to use it properly & as a result I rarely use it on my wife's BMW. However I find the adaptive cruise control on my Boxster S to be truly excellent on both a long journey & in fairly built up variable speed traffic.

·
892 Posts
Cruise control and sports car don't go together. It's an oxymoron--like jumbo shrimp.;)
Yes true, but unfortunately on todays often busy roads it's not always possible to drive even a sports car in a particularly sporting manner. When a round trip to my nearest Porsche dealer is roughly 230 miles, of which over half is on reasonably straight, boring & congested roads it's a real boon that I now wouldn't be without. Every car I own from now on will be specced with adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
310 Posts
a round trip to my nearest Porsche dealer is roughly 230 miles
Have you ever asked them for a lift home and then to pick you up when your car is ready? I would, just to see the look on their faces.>:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts