Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Thank you all so much for all the ideas, advice, jokes etc, one of the best online communities I've ever seen.
Placed a deposit and if things go alright will get the car sometime mid-May. *crossed fingers

718 Cayman | Porsche Car Configurator - current build.
I don't plan to track it, and it'll be either a daily driver or a long road trips car, depending on how comfortable those seats are.

Next steps:
  • find meetup folks in DFW area
  • order clear lights (tradition oblige!)
  • find a PPF shop.
  • order dark green memory foam seat inserts from P1 Designs.
  • ??
  • Profit!

· Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
360 Posts
Nice machine, well done. Incredibly short delivery time too (compared with mine anyway).

Can you definitely get P1 inserts for these SSP seats? I’ve ordered the same as you from Porsche, and was under the impression P1 weren’t an option as they only made inserts for the (expensive, carbon-fibre) LightWeight Bucket Seats?

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Thank you all so much for all the ideas, advice, jokes etc, one of the best online communities I've ever seen.
Placed a deposit and if things go alright will get the car sometime mid-May. *crossed fingers

I don't plan to track it, and it'll be either a daily driver or a long road trips car, depending on how comfortable those seats are.

Next steps:
  • find a PPF shop.
  • ??
  • Profit!
I'd suggest the clear tail lights - they'll match the styling of the PDLS LED headlights which have the black housings - otherwise the elements in the tail lights are red color when they aren't illuminated

Reactions: RobertM

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,316 Posts

Next steps:
  • find a PPF shop.
  • ??
  • Profit!
Yeah, as others pointed out, the P1 Design replacement cushions are only available on LWBS. The cushions on the LWBS are attached via velcro and don't have any heating or ventilation elements, hence they can be swapped in and out in about 5 minutes. LWBS aren't even an option on the base Cayman, you'd have to go to the "T" model to spec them. But I am glad to see you went with the Sport Seats Plus, as those are definitely an upgrade to the standard seats in comfort and lateral support.

I also applaud your prudence in not getting carried away with cosmetic options. That said, if this is your budget goal, I'd respectfully suggest you consider eliminating power steering plus and adaptive cruise control in favor of either PASM or Sport Chrono for about the same amount. This is a sports car, not a two and a half ton SUV. Granted Power Steering Plus is relatively cheap, but completely unnecessary (from a 65 YO with 8+ years and 47k miles in my previous Cayman S). Adaptive Cruise Control is, IMO, not a "sports car" option. I use it occasionally on our BMW 5 series sedan, but I didn't even use regular cruise control more than a handful of times on my previous Cayman S. And never yet on my GTS. On the other hand, either PASM or Sport Chrono are great performance enhancements for a sports car.

Just suggestions....and I'll avoid the temptation to add that a 6-speed manual would save you enough money to get both PASM and Sport Chrono with a few dollars to spare 😃

In any event, good luck and whatever you decide, you will enjoy I'm sure. (y)

· Super Moderator
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,472 Posts
Here we go again. PSP only operates at low (parking) speeds, works well and it is cheap. I do agree that ACC doesn't really belong on a sportscar. I would definitely get SC, especially with PDK. You might also consider aluminum trim, the standard plastic trim is a bit cheesy.

· Registered
640 Posts
Aventurine Green is becoming one of my favourite colours. Guy at the Gym has a 2022 911 in Aventurine Green, dark LED headlight surrounds and rear lights and Satin Black alloys. It looks stunning.

· Premium Member
623 Posts

Next steps:
  • find a PPF shop.
  • ??
  • Profit!
Welcome and Congrats!

· Registered
4,314 Posts

Next steps:
  • find a PPF shop.
  • ??
  • Profit!
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Hope your time in the Waiters Club is brief and fruitful.

There are several forum members in your area, according to the Texas Roll Call! (2nd Edition). Please let me know if you would like to be added to the Texas Roll Call and your preferred location.

Cheers!

Reactions: mars

· Registered
787 Posts
Bea

Next steps:
  • find a PPF shop.
  • ??
  • Profit!
Beautiful sir!! Silver wheels go better with Aventurine. Kudos!!

· Registered
394 Posts
First, congratulations on getting a speedy allocation, that's not easy.

I like the design of the 18 inch Cayman wheels, they remind me of the Fuchs wheels that used to come on 911s.

I'm not very impressed on the tire selection for them, so assuming my allocation comes in, I think I'm going for the 19 inch Cayman S wheel.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice machine, well done. Incredibly short delivery time too (compared with mine anyway).

Can you definitely get P1 inserts for these SSP seats? I’ve ordered the same as you from Porsche, and was under the impression P1 weren’t an option as they only made inserts for the (expensive, carbon-fibre) LightWeight Bucket Seats?
Thank you! I've been in queue since June and finally got a call right before Christmas.
Thank you so much for catching the mistake, I guess no custom designed seats then. Oh well, they're still gorgeous.

Re: Automatic Cruise Control - totally agree it's a gimmick for sports car, until you have to drive 9 hours to Big Bend or 10-12 hours to Colorado/White Sands in New Mexico.
(And I do hope to take the car for long trips around the country)

Re: PASM: Love the idea (+ potential comfort), but worried about lowering it 10mm. I really don't want to stress out about scratching the car bottom (and most parking lots around here aren't friendly to low cars).

Re: Sports Chrono. It feels like it should have been a standard option.
Pro: cool looking watch, essential to 718's ethos and basically a must have: sports car without "proper" sport modes.
Con: budget constraints, no plans to ever track or use any of the fancy sports modes, and hopefully I'll never have to sell the car so resale value isn't much of a concern (at least for now).

Again, thank you so much for all the ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate them.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Hope your time in the Waiters Club is brief and fruitful.

There are several forum members in your area, according to the Texas Roll Call! (2nd Edition). Please let me know if you would like to be added to the Texas Roll Call and your preferred location.

Cheers!
I'd like that very much and thank you!

· Registered
74 Posts
Before placing a deposit, I was given a fully loaded car for a day. After that I bumped my build by 10k, and ACC was one of the things that I've included. It's an amazing quality of life feature in traffic and works really well compared to some other brands. Just my two cents.

· Registered
27 Posts
Re: Automatic Cruise Control - totally agree it's a gimmick for sports car, until you have to drive 9 hours to Big Bend or 10-12 hours to Colorado/White Sands in New Mexico.

Re: PASM: Love the idea (+ potential comfort), but worried about lowering it 10mm. I really don't want to stress out about scratching the car bottom (and most parking lots around here aren't friendly to low cars).
If you want an easier time on 8-10hr drives, PASM will give you a better result than having to vaguely keep it between the lines yourself. That said, I find standard suspension fine, but then I would never consider ACC.

10mm will rarely make any difference to scraping - seriously. And when it does, 99.9% of the time, you will only ever hit the rubber bit and zero damage will be done. And if you ever do scratch something, that's just the way it is! You should see the underside of my Spyder's front bumper... But the average passer by would have to start crawling around on the ground to see anything - which I rarely see anyone doing :).

10mm does make a difference to it looking "OK". Std looks too high

· Registered
4,314 Posts
Thank you! I've been in queue since June and finally got a call right before Christmas.
Thank you so much for catching the mistake, I guess no custom designed seats then. Oh well, they're still gorgeous.

Re: Sports Chrono. It feels like it should have been a standard option.
Pro: cool looking watch, essential to 718's ethos and basically a must have: sports car without "proper" sport modes.
Con: budget constraints, no plans to ever track or use any of the fancy sports modes, and hopefully I'll never have to sell the car so resale value isn't much of a concern (at least for now).

Again, thank you so much for all the ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate them.

I'd like that very much and thank you!
Thanks, you are in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts