Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! New member here. Just wanted to show support to this forum because we all love our 718's!

I have a 718 base Cayman with PDK, carrera metallic white on blue/chalk interior with sport tex seats, 19" wheels and side grills painted. Kept my configuration simple and affordable ;)

2 months in now and almost 2,000 miles! loving it as my daily driver!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2002 Mini Cooper manual in British Racing Green with white top and stripes!

Was looking at the likes of M2, Audi TT. But it was love at first sight/ride!

It was quite a leap, however I think I got the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think you did too ;)

But that must be taking a little getting use to from the Mini ! Finding the transition to be smooth though?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes of course smooth! the cayman is awesome! so refined! took some adjusting to though, so much power and obviously a bigger car compared to my MINI. I love my sport seats, no more body roll! It did take me a while to adjust to PDK, to learn to appreciate what it has to offer. My very first impressions of the cayman was that it was a solid car. But I wasn't used to an auto and I didn't know how to "push" the car.

But once I had it in my possessions, the first month was a learning curve. I now understand better why everyone rants and raves about how fast and smart the PDK is. (however I still drive it in manual mode, I love controlling it and keeping it in the higher RPMs as I mosey along around town) --> PDK mode would easily upshift to 6th gear while going 30mph, if you aren't smashing on that throttle. My overall impression (as I've never owned a sports car before), is how solid this car feels, like when I hit 90mph in like 5 seconds when I hit the freeways. Thank goodness for those speed limit alarms I set!

I've also had the chance to take it on some curvy roads, and like everyone says, it handles those curves so well! Who needs the brake pedal anymore!

I'm probably younger than most of porsche owners (i'm in my 30's), but I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford this car so early on. Instead of putting all my money into savings, it went to my dream car! I know, I know, not rational, but I'll be working many more years to start that savings again! It makes going to work everyday much more enjoyable and tolerable. What's the point of working so hard if I can't have some fun in my life?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the way, I highly recommend getting some Paint Protection Film, I did the first half of my car. If any of you are as OCD as I am about keeping my car looking clean and shiny, I definitely recommend it if you're going to be washing your car a lot! It protects against bird poop, rocks and swirl marks! I've already invested my time and efforts into the 2 bucket method as well as Optimum No Rinse, and lots of new microfiber towels! But I tell ya, I'm so OCD I think I'm still getting micro swirl marks! So I definitely say get the PPF (if you can, do the whole car!) and save yourself the anxiety of getting future scratches.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I would only recommend the Optimum No Rinse if you have first protected it with the Opti-coat Pro+, and maybe not even then. I want most of the scratchy bits off the car before I start (pre-rinse) and after I loosen the dirt (very low pressure wash then rinse), before drying.

Fortunately I have filtered rain water on tap and after a rinse with that, an air dry leaves no spots at all.

Greg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Always a fan of a foam lance as well with some quality car soap following a pressure wash. Really helps "emulsify" the dirt

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thank goodness for those speed limit alarms I set!
I have been going through all the menus in the car and the Owner's Manual; can you tell me where to find information describing how to set speed limit alarm/notification. I need that!

In this car, it's so easy to find yourself hitting triple digits without realizing it. :O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts