Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping fellow Boxster owners can chime in here… I have a 2018 BS and I’ve had this annoying buzz/rattle at certain RPMs which the dealer was not able to locate. Today when I was cleaning the car, I noticed that the trunk lid sounds like there's something loose inside it, and it sounds a lot like what I hear when driving. I can’t tell for sure because I’d have to be driving and also be in the trunk….

Here’s a link to a vid showing the rattle.

I also noticed what looks like either a bad weld or some kind of defect in the same area (under side of the trunk lid - also noticeable in the vid). Picture attached to this post.

My question:

Does your trunk lid sound and look like this?

Thanks all for your help. Trying to nail this down before going back to the dealer.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
My daughter's Jetta had a similar problem after a basketball dented the hood. The broken "weld" was just a dab of adhesive/caulk. I used clear silicone caulk to repair and touch up paint to complete. Your dealer might be able to do the same thing (but maybe not as well!).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To follow up on this thread...

The master tech at my dealership located a loose wire harness inside the trunk lid that was causing the rattle. He fixed it by removing a grommet to get to the wires and bundling them with Quiet Tape. He did it right on the spot so I didn't have to leave the car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
To follow up on this thread...

The master tech at my dealership located a loose wire harness inside the trunk lid that was causing the rattle. He fixed it by removing a grommet to get to the wires and bundling them with Quiet Tape. He did it right on the spot so I didn't have to leave the car.
Glad you posted this info. Every time I had a rattle in any car it was some darn wiring harness amplifying a vibration. Last car (CX-5) that happened I pulled off the whole trunk lining just to discover a harness slipped out of a clip which was causing a very hard to pinpoint vibration at around 4K RPM...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you posted this info. Every time I had a rattle in any car it was some darn wiring harness amplifying a vibration. Last car (CX-5) that happened I pulled off the whole trunk lining just to discover a harness slipped out of a clip which was causing a very hard to pinpoint vibration at around 4K RPM...
Yeah... I got the impression that rattling wire harnesses and such are something they deal with all the time. Now, if only they could do that for my other annoying vibration....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts