Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW - I have had the full exhaust from the both SOUL and their competition on my Cayman, and they are definitely identical cats. Upgrading to the sport cat definitely gives a better "growl" and an increase in throttle responsiveness. I live in North Carolina (which has pretty strict inspection regulations) and was a little worried about passing the emission inspection due to the higher flow, but I took it in to the Porsche dealership last week for my annual service and it passed without an issue. I also agree with Hoosier Daddy in the above post - Soul quality is top notch and I wouldn't buy from anyone else, plus Mike is great to deal with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW - I have had the full exhaust from the both SOUL and their competition on my Cayman, and they are definitely identical cats. Upgrading to the sport cat definitely gives a better "growl" and an increase in throttle responsiveness. I live in North Carolina (which has pretty strict inspection regulations) and was a little worried about passing the emission inspection due to the higher flow, but I took it in to the Porsche dealership last week for my annual service and it passed without an issue. I also agree with Hoosier Daddy in the above post - Soul quality is top notch and I wouldn't buy from anyone else, plus Mike is great to deal with.
Do you have any clips of your exhaust setup JDodd?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Soul performance exhaust or fabspeed supercup. I want obnoxious. Fabspeed has drone issues but I believe overall it is more obnoxious than soul. Soul see s better built and is much cheaper. Issue is on YouTube and the 400,000 hours I have spent listening to every video I can...neither sound any different than my PSE. Basically can't really tell. Anyone have one or hear one of these in person?

I am not,looking for power..going to have an apr tune at some point and neither will help or hurt the tune.
Only the Fabspeed products are made in house, you are best off going for the full supercup turbo back with the cat delete

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Only the Fabspeed products are made in house, you are best off going for the full supercup turbo back with the cat delete
And to add to that the HJS sport cat that SOUL sells aren't backed up by the manufacture. I reached out to HJS directly as Fabspeed is the only authorized distributor for HJS in the states, and this is what they had to say:

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
Where does is say that "no direct business relationship" equals "not backed up by the manufacture(r)"?

At least in Australia our comeback for warranty is the dealer, it's up to them to negotiate with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Where does is say that "no direct business relationship" equals "not backed up by the manufacture(r)"?

At least in Australia our comeback for warranty is the dealer, it's up to them to negotiate with the manufacturer.
I sometimes obsess a little too much, and I like to know who I'm doing business with and who gets my money. One is the authorized dealer / supplier in the US for HJS cats. Rather than buying from the preferred partner who happens to be their competitor they buy them from a dealer outside of the US. No rules or laws against it that I'm aware of.

However, if something were to go wrong.... production issue or malfunction with the piece.... think worst case scenario. One has the ability to handle it right away as they are the preferred partner and can work directly with the manufacture to resolve the issue. The other has to work with their supplier who is overseas to get access to the manufacturer.

Like I said I sometimes obsess over things. I do the same thing when I'm making business decisions for both Hyphen Studios and my day job. It gets to be exhausting at time. :D

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Also another thing I find fishy about SOUL is that I think they are selling cheap Chinese exhaust kits. The similarities are just too close to be ignored.
And another thing..... SOUL's site doesn't really brag about their development or made in house capabilities. They talk about their partnerships that are world wide, and then cite some capabilities that they have which in terms means that their partners have. I have no doubt that they do fabricate some things onsite. Fabspeed brags about their onsite development and fabrication right on their products that is upfront in your face. SOUL has it hidden on their about page. Kind of odd don't you think? If you don't brag about it your production description then that makes me wonder who actually made it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, personally, I don't think it is unheard of that Chinese manufactures would knock off a popular design of an American company. I mean, look at the finish quality of the two. I think that's the more logical and likely scenario.

·
Registered
495 Posts
@xhyphenx
for someone who "sometimes obsess a little too much"
I would think you should obsess a little more on factual information rather than posting your speculative thoughts.
As a business owner, how would you feel if someone did the same about your business?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Well, personally, I don't think it is unheard of that Chinese manufactures would knock off a popular design of an American company. I mean, look at the finish quality of the two. I think that's the more logical and likely scenario.
I was so caught up in my digging and looking that I didn't think of the other way around. It could be that scenario. Good point!

I've thought about the finish thing a bit. What are the chances they contracted the Chinese company to rebrand their kit? Happens allllllll the time. I have hats and other apparel made for one of my clients that's the exact same as Burton and Volcom, but just rebranded with my clients logo and name on it. The cheap knock off version of the Baja Design lights on my trucks are made in China, and almost every big name custom shop uses that light but rebranded with their logo on it.

Man, if I keep this up I will be known as the exhaust conspiracy theorist. 🤣

@xhyphenx
for someone who "sometimes obsess a little too much"
I would think you should obsess a little more on factual information rather than posting your speculative thoughts.
As a business owner, how would you feel if someone did the same about your business?
I've built way to many e-commerce sites for customers over the last 18 years, and have worked with way to many lawyers on verbiage that goes on websites to have an understanding of why and where things are placed for legal reasons. As for being a business owner I don't give two ****s what people think. The work that HS (Hyphen Studios) does speaks for itself, plus I get to pick and choose who I work with. If people don't want to work with me that's fine. A lot of my competition actually contacts out work to me, because they know I can deliver on time and they still get a piece of the action. It's business and I don't take business things personally.

Your comments are not lost on me, but a forum is a place for keyboard warriors, provoke conversation, and an opportunity to voice speculative thoughts. I do appreciate your comment, and I bet if we talked in person it would be a hoot as I love talking, listening, and engaging with people who think differently that I do on topics that I'm interested in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed, it’s a little much and accusatory. Why do you have it in for Soul? If you don’t want to buy their products then don’t! But no need to go out of your way to drag their name through the mud.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Agreed, it’s a little much and accusatory. Why do you have it in for Soul? If you don’t want to buy their products then don’t! But no need to go out of your way to drag their name through the mud.
When I decide to spend money on a product I like to do my research. Straight up, SOUL was number one when I first decided that I was going to buy an exhaust for my GTS. Mainly it was because of this forum. As I was doing my research I started to notice something. All the other brands kept their kits raw with no finish so you could see the craftsmanship of the welds. AWE, Fabspeed, Agency, TechArt, Kline and the list goes on. Then I hit up ebay to see what the knock offs were, and came across a company called Liang Fei. The similarities were striking. So I asked my buddy, who is also the master mind behind my two SEMA trucks and a guy who also makes custom one off exhausts for high end European and Italian sports cars, what his thoughts where. His response..... Probably sourced in China, sand or media blasted / painted / powder coated to give it enough of a distinction that the average consumer doesn't know it was made in China. Then he babbled on for about 20 minutes about how a lot of the big exhaust companies do that for cheaper manufacturing blah blah blah.... I didn't loose interest, but Jimmy can get long winded.

I think this is my main gripe about all this. If it's sourced from somewhere then just say that. Don't pretend to be the ones who did the R&D, and fabricated it in house when in reality you are just reselling a product. Most probably couldn't give a crap, but be honest about it.

Straight example... This was taken straight from their TECH TALK: Signature page on their site talking about why they media blast their products. They even talk about how this process allows them to add custom logos to the products. Why would you even talk about that?
TECH TALK: SOUL Signature Satin - Our Exhaust Finish Explained - Soul Performance Products
Cayman 981 Cat

This is right off of Chinese website. It's the exact same part, but the picture up above has been media blasted. The milling designs are identical. Tell me I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Right, wrong or indifferent... it’s slander unless you have irrefutable proof. That would be like someone claiming since you’re videos feature fabspeed, you are a paid provocateur for them, and now all of a sudden they are a site sponsor? Is this a paid fishing expedition? Curious timing!

I don’t know, nor do I care... I’m just pointing a plausible scenario as an example. But why make personal something you have ZERO skin in the game on?

If Fabspeed is the reputable company they appear to be, they would not want this kind of drama being part of their business model.

BTW - I would defend fabspeed the same if someone was doing this to them. It’s just not right.

This thread has reached its end of usefulness

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
And to add to that the HJS sport cat that SOUL sells aren't backed up by the manufacture. I reached out to HJS directly as Fabspeed is the only authorized distributor for HJS in the states, and this is what they had to say:

View attachment 27091
I sometimes obsess a little too much, and I like to know who I'm doing business with and who gets my money. One is the authorized dealer / supplier in the US for HJS cats. Rather than buying from the preferred partner who happens to be their competitor they buy them from a dealer outside of the US. No rules or laws against it that I'm aware of.

However, if something were to go wrong.... production issue or malfunction with the piece.... think worst case scenario. One has the ability to handle it right away as they are the preferred partner and can work directly with the manufacture to resolve the issue. The other has to work with their supplier who is overseas to get access to the manufacturer.

Like I said I sometimes obsess over things. I do the same thing when I'm making business decisions for both Hyphen Studios and my day job. It gets to be exhausting at time. :D
Also another thing I find fishy about SOUL is that I think they are selling cheap Chinese exhaust kits. The similarities are just too close to be ignored.
And another thing..... SOUL's site doesn't really brag about their development or made in house capabilities. They talk about their partnerships that are world wide, and then cite some capabilities that they have which in terms means that their partners have. I have no doubt that they do fabricate some things onsite. Fabspeed brags about their onsite development and fabrication right on their products that is upfront in your face. SOUL has it hidden on their about page. Kind of odd don't you think? If you don't brag about it your production description then that makes me wonder who actually made it.

View attachment 27092 View attachment 27093
I was so caught up in my digging and looking that I didn't think of the other way around. It could be that scenario. Good point!

I've thought about the finish thing a bit. What are the chances they contracted the Chinese company to rebrand their kit? Happens allllllll the time. I have hats and other apparel made for one of my clients that's the exact same as Burton and Volcom, but just rebranded with my clients logo and name on it. The cheap knock off version of the Baja Design lights on my trucks are made in China, and almost every big name custom shop uses that light but rebranded with their logo on it.

Man, if I keep this up I will be known as the exhaust conspiracy theorist. 🤣

I've built way to many e-commerce sites for customers over the last 18 years, and have worked with way to many lawyers on verbiage that goes on websites to have an understanding of why and where things are placed for legal reasons. As for being a business owner I don't give two ****s what people think. The work that HS (Hyphen Studios) does speaks for itself, plus I get to pick and choose who I work with. If people don't want to work with me that's fine. A lot of my competition actually contacts out work to me, because they know I can deliver on time and they still get a piece of the action. It's business and I don't take business things personally.

Your comments are not lost on me, but a forum is a place for keyboard warriors, provoke conversation, and an opportunity to voice speculative thoughts. I do appreciate your comment, and I bet if we talked in person it would be a hoot as I love talking, listening, and engaging with people who think differently that I do on topics that I'm interested in.
When I decide to spend money on a product I like to do my research. Straight up, SOUL was number one when I first decided that I was going to buy an exhaust for my GTS. Mainly it was because of this forum. As I was doing my research I started to notice something. All the other brands kept their kits raw with no finish so you could see the craftsmanship of the welds. AWE, Fabspeed, Agency, TechArt, Kline and the list goes on. Then I hit up ebay to see what the knock offs were, and came across a company called Liang Fei. The similarities were striking. So I asked my buddy, who is also the master mind behind my two SEMA trucks and a guy who also makes custom one off exhausts for high end European and Italian sports cars, what his thoughts where. His response..... Probably sourced in China, sand or media blasted / painted / powder coated to give it enough of a distinction that the average consumer doesn't know it was made in China. Then he babbled on for about 20 minutes about how a lot of the big exhaust companies do that for cheaper manufacturing blah blah blah.... I didn't loose interest, but Jimmy can get long winded.

I think this is my main gripe about all this. If it's sourced from somewhere then just say that. Don't pretend to be the ones who did the R&D, and fabricated it in house when in reality you are just reselling a product. Most probably couldn't give a crap, but be honest about it.

Straight example... This was taken straight from their TECH TALK: Signature page on their site talking about why they media blast their products. They even talk about how this process allows them to add custom logos to the products. Why would you even talk about that?
TECH TALK: SOUL Signature Satin - Our Exhaust Finish Explained - Soul Performance Products
Cayman 981 Cat
View attachment 27117

This is right off of Chinese website. It's the exact same part, but the picture up above has been media blasted. The milling designs are identical. Tell me I'm wrong.
View attachment 27118

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
162 Posts
Right, wrong or indifferent... it’s slander unless you have irrefutable proof. That would be like someone claiming since you’re videos feature fabspeed, you are a paid provocateur for them, and now all of a sudden they are a site sponsor? Is this a paid fishing expedition? Curious timing!

I don’t know, nor do I care... I’m just pointing a plausible scenario as an example. But why make personal something you have ZERO skin in the game on?

If Fabspeed is the reputable company they appear to be, they would not want this kind of drama being part of their business model.

BTW - I would defend fabspeed the same if someone was doing this to them. It’s just not right.

This thread has reached its end of usefulness
I like you @HooosierDaddy... Not that I know you personally, but you've been a member of this community WAY longer than I have. I only picked up my GTS in March of this year. I told myself I wouldn't mod this car and turn it into a garage queen like my SEMA trucks, but seeing all the threads on exhaust, tunes, and parts.... UGH I couldn't help myself, and the obsessing began... Exhaust, tune, wrap, wheels, suspension..... The list is pretty big.

I like everything about your comment. I'm not paid by Fabspeed. They aren't a partner of mine, but I do really really really like their parts and their staff. Think of it like a Ford vs Chevy, and I chose a side and might have gone overboard a bit...... OK A LOT.

The whole YouTube thing is that my wife wants me to capture all of our vehicles both past and present, and potentially turn it into another revenue stream for Hyphen Studios. I've explained that takes A LOT of time and persistence to get a following. I've been putting off making the video of my Ford SEMA truck because that means I have to hunt down all of the media, and I just don't wanna. :D I don't mind the video making, but it's a HUGE pain in the A$$!

****, my wife wants Hyphen Studios to sponsor the site and offer up graphics, vinyl, and decal work. I can cut / print vinyl of all the popular designs that we all like for a fraction of what others are charging.

OK... done putting this one to bed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts