Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to change him. If he wants to change, he needs to do it himself. My wife hates riding in my Cayman and she doesn't know how to drive a manual so she's pretty much never in it. No big deal. She drives the other car. Just enjoy the Cayman yourself and let him be a passenger which is obviously what he likes more. He can get whatever is the future autonomous EV SUV that comes out.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
33 Posts
Keep driving it. It's yours. :) He can drive the SUV. As for the phone thing, well I have a suggestion but I'd get banned lol
So find a large parking lot with some incline areas
Practice the start and stop
Make him promise to give it a real try

if not GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tried teaching my wife to drive a stick shift--and in a Honda Civic, one of the easiest to drive stick shift cars I could think of.

To my surprise, the first day out she wasn’t bad at all. The next time out, she was a little worse. The third time we attempted it we gave up after about five minutes. She just was not cut out to drive a stick shift; to her it was nothing but unnecessary hassle and she had no real interest in learning.

So, she is happy to be a passenger in the 718. (She is long-legged and this is the first sports car I’ve owned that she can get comfortable in, which helps a lot.) So, it’s our go-to for long trips and I do all the driving (oh darn) ;-). She saves her wheel time for our automatic-everything other car.

We are both happier this way!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yet another suggestion from me. Our first new car was a stick and my wife hadn't driven one before. She wasn't getting it and I remembered she is a very linear thinker and very detailed oriented. She was, before retiring, a fashion illustrator (you could see the leather grain in leather accessories) and a scientific illustrator. Anyway, I wish I had kept the list, but I resolved the process of shifting into 8 line items. Learning those, she became barely competent and I say that because she never developed the intuitive feel of shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why am I not surprised a Millennial hates his manual transmission sport car!?:rolleyes::cool:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts