Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Carrera Sport Platinum/Silver

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures and opinions please!!!!! Mainly good pictures 'cause the configurator sucks.......

Classic waiting game emotional crash happening. I've finally settled on a build that includes 718 platinum wheels (except for 85% chalk vs 15%). I like gunmetal and these are closest.

Build isn't locked so browsing, and of course find other attractive options with the Carrera wheels:

Platinum (same gunmetal) vs High Gloss Black (Match door handles, window trim and rear wing) vs Painted Ext. Color (Very risky, bad for anxiety disorder--Looks really good here, but did I mention the configurator SUCKS?).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pictures and opinions please!!!!! Mainly good pictures 'cause the configurator sucks.......

Classic waiting game emotional crash happening. I've finally settled on a build that includes 718 platinum wheels (except for 85% chalk vs 15%). I like gunmetal and these are closest.

Build isn't locked so browsing, and of course find other attractive options with the Carrera wheels:

Platinum (same gunmetal) vs High Gloss Black (Match door handles, window trim and rear wing) vs Painted Ext. Color (Very risky, bad for anxiety disorder--Looks really good here, but did I mention the configurator SUCKS?).

View attachment 34488 View attachment 34489 View attachment 34490 View attachment 34491

View attachment 34488 View attachment 34489 View attachment 34490 View attachment 34491
I would go for your 3rd picture option, but would leave out the high gloss on the door and wing, perhaps?

I agree about the configurator. For example, why is there no 3D rotation viewing option for exterior and the interior, when even Carvana offers this? Plus, their colors seem off? Helpful would be a dusk versus sunlight view option as well.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
694 Posts
I've got a question...... (drum roll)...... What do you like? Have you had the opportunity to visit some showrooms or Porsche events? You're the one that's going to be headed to your garage every morning, opening the door, and grinning from ear to ear...... :)

Reactions: Willibn

·
Registered
152 Posts
What Raven said. They always have actual samples of the colors on hand so definitely worth checking out and a good time to ask questions. Get what you love. You are spending a lot of money and can and should expect concierge service.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Raven said. They always have actual samples of the colors on hand so definitely worth checking out and a good time to ask questions. Get what you love. You are spending a lot of money and can and should expect concierge service.
I'd love to. Nearest dealer is 600 miles from me. I may be heading to Florida in a week and if I do will certainly head to a dealer. However, if that doesn't happen I probably won't make it to a showroom until lock day or later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
However I may have the answer. Looking for better pictures I came across what were apparently standard options a couple of years ago. Added it to the poll. Gunmetal-ly but not a monotone. And I think that's the one that appeals to me the most....

Get the platinum and have the smooth surfaces refinished in a silver/satin silver?

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I like the top wheel and the third wheel for this look. Customization is fun. Gloss black can be your thing.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you go for gloss black, get them ceramic coated as quickly as possible. The micro marring will drive you bonkers.
Personally, I’d go for the standard wheels in platinum with a crayon exterior.

my GTS build will be guards red with standard wheels in silver

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have high gloss black door handles and wing on Miami Blue and love it. I think the high gloss black would be even more striking with the Chalk exterior color.

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
85 Posts
i voted satin black, I think black accents go really well with chalk. Check out this video:

+1 That's a beaut! Those are the rims I wanted, but my chalk BS has 20" Carrera S in a bright silver color.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Someone just posted his new SB Boxster with Carrera wheels on Rennlist. They are 2-tone, and look pretty good. He doesn't specify the finish. I've asked him what it is and am waiting to hear.

Compare his wheels to the other pics I've included. The first is a generic Google images find--Is this platinum or the standard finish? The last pic is of satin copied off the configurator--Would anyone actually choose that?

Can anyone identify which wheel is what finish???? I'd take either of the first 2. That configurator's satin has a cheap and dingy look to it, but I haven't found an IRL photo that looks anything like it .

Pardon my rant (actually, don't. I gotta get this off my chest): These cars are $100k +, and Porsche can't put forth the effort of posting a battery of decent photos? It's fun to work on the build, and it's tough enough to make some decisions even if you could see the options IRL (which, with lots empty across the country, you can't). The fact that there is so much unnecessary guesswork because of Porsche's laziness is borderline infuriating.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Soon to Order 2022 Cayman S
6 Posts
However I may have the answer. Looking for better pictures I came across what were apparently standard options a couple of years ago. Added it to the poll. Gunmetal-ly but not a monotone. And I think that's the one that appeals to me the most....

Get the platinum and have the smooth surfaces refinished in a silver/satin silver?

View attachment 34496
While I wait for a CS allocation, I continue to play the configurator game.

I've pretty much settled on Shark Blue with painted side inlets, Aluminum window trim, and the standard finish Carrera Sport wheels as in your picture above.

While I am a big fan of black, and especially the Platinum finished wheels, but I really like the look of the standard finish Carrera Sport wheels. The platinum inlay (for lack of a better term) really appeal to me although my attached picture from the configurator doesn't really portray them well. Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But are the inner panels are of a different shade than the edge surfaces. .I'm going chalk and think I want the 2 tone, but I cannot determine for the life of me which wheels are that way. If the standard and the platinums are both monotone, I'll probably refinish the edges. But I cannot figure out which of the inlays would work best. There are no "reliable" pictures I can find.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got word back from the owner of that shark picture. He says he has the standard Carrera wheels, and they look darker in the picture than IRL. The panels on his pretty much match the configurator's platinum pic.

My car will be ready a bit after x-mas. It feels like I won't know what I'm getting until I see it and feel like a recap of opening the presents......For $100k, that ain't right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
But are the inner panels are of a different shade than the edge surfaces. .I'm going chalk and think I want the 2 tone, but I cannot determine for the life of me which wheels are that way. If the standard and the platinums are both monotone, I'll probably refinish the edges. But I cannot figure out which of the inlays would work best. There are no "reliable" pictures I can find.
Does this picture help? Looks like just the inset is platinum.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would have agreed with you that those are the platinum wheels, The interesting/problematic thing is that Shark Boxster pic? He says his wheels are the STANDARD finish. He did say the pic came out a little darker than IRL. Lighten up his a little and you pretty much match what you posted.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have agreed with you that those are the platinum wheels, The interesting/problematic thing is that Shark Boxster pic? He says his wheels are the STANDARD finish. He did say the pic came out a little darker than IRL. Lighten up his a little and you pretty much match what you posted.

View attachment 34524
My picture is of the “standard” finish. I think the picture you posted is also the standard wheel; the color of the picture is just off.

Search for some T models as there optional wheel is the all platinum finish.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts