Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Carrera Sport Platinum/Silver

Votes: 3 7.7%
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We may be getting somewhere. I'm thinking that the standard and platinum are identical EXCEPT for the silver edges? Here's a pic from a car show that would appear about right for the standard finish, then.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
Soon to Order 2022 Cayman S
6 Posts
We may be getting somewhere. I'm thinking that the standard and platinum are identical EXCEPT for the silver edges? Here's a pic from a car show that would appear about right for the standard finish, then.

View attachment 34526
Correct!

The “Platinum” upgrade to that wheel is to paint it entirely platinum.

The two “Black” options paint the inlay and barrels black. The rest of the wheel is machined and remains “Silver”.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
So with the standard Carrera wheel the car would look like this?

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

If so this thread saved me $600, because I think that standard Carrera wheel is just right. A little pop from the edges, and the medium grey inlays capture the grey in the paint without being real dark.

(Cue a big sigh of relief) My high anxiety has returned back to "gosh, I hope I'm getting all of this right" that we all feel.....

Do you think my insurance will cover the therapy?

·
Registered
Soon to Order 2022 Cayman S
6 Posts
Here’s a video of a Cayman S with the “standard” Carrera Sport wheels. It was shot in overcast conditions so the colors in the wheels don’t washout.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got a question...... (drum roll)...... What do you like? Have you had the opportunity to visit some showrooms or Porsche events? You're the one that's going to be headed to your garage every morning, opening the door, and grinning from ear to ear...... :)
Agree, but it's difficult, even for me living in Houston w 3 Porsche dealers and a bunch in day drive distance. I have been to all the dealers in a 150 mile radius. Unfortunately, for the past year and a half they really haven't had much to look at and to try out. A lot of the cars they have off and on are used and years old, hence not really relevant to present color choices, etc. In addition, sales managers are now reluctant to allow test drives, as to not increase the miles on the few cars they do have (was told that 2x :mad:). The best educational opportunity for me was getting a Cayman through Porsche Drive and running it around for a month. It gave me ideas on what I wanted and also on what wasn't important to me. Finally, I would say that none of these dealers were anywhere close to concierge service; felt more like ....this is what we have and we've had banner years, so we don't care. Pretty disappointing, really.

Reactions: Kor 446

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is dissappointing to hear about the dealers in your area. In Phoenix we have just two dealers and frankly both were not very helpful. I pretty much knew what I wanted but only one sale person was heloful, someone that I bought a Boxster from before and a real Porsche sports car fan that I went looking for. I got an allocation and was going to put my order in but then the perfect car came on the market and I went that route. I bought mine in New Hampshire and had it shipped all the way to Phoenix. Bit of a pain but worth it as I got the car I wanted, a CPO manual CS in Miami Blue with all the right options just 9,500 miles at a fair price.

Porsche Drive is an awesome way to get to know the car before committing. I got a 992S and a 718 base and decided I liked the 718 better as it was much more engaging. I would have consider a base 992 with the right performance options but the manual is sadly not available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine are standard Carrera Sport wheels, they are 2 tone, the configurator describes them as "Centre spokes with Platinum Silver paint finish and front surfaces with high-gloss polished finish" you can tell the edges are polished as oppose to the painted finish the centres which is a darker colour and I would say that this paint colour is darker than the other silver coloured wheels in the range.
I believe the Platinum option is a different colour to the platinum silver finish on the Carrera Sport standard wheel as well as being polished.
No the best photo, I just leaned out of the window to take it but it is pretty accurate.
Wheel Car Tire Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine are standard Carrera Sport wheels, they are 2 tone, the configurator describes them as "Centre spokes with Platinum Silver paint finish and front surfaces with high-gloss polished finish"
Thanks for confirming what we've deduced. I wish I'd noticed the configuration description you quoted.

Now, if you want bonus points, paint your car chalk and take another picture? Or wrap it so it isn't permanent. I might split the $$$ if you decide not to keep it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for confirming what we've deduced. I wish I'd noticed the configuration description you quoted.

Now, if you want bonus points, paint your car chalk and take another picture? Or wrap it so it isn't permanent. I might split the $$$ if you decide not to keep it that way.
Glad to be of service, although I think I might have to draw the line at a colour change 😃

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
Don't know if you are getting the decal on the door, but your choice really makes the color jump, on both, IMHO.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman T 6MT
68 Posts
The 5-spoke with silver edges looks dope at night! Bling bling, sexy time.
Another thing to possibly conisder is the 5-spoke are .5” wider (8.5 and 10.5) front and rear than the other wheels. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pictures and opinions please!!!!! Mainly good pictures 'cause the configurator sucks.......

Classic waiting game emotional crash happening. I've finally settled on a build that includes 718 platinum wheels (except for 85% chalk vs 15%). I like gunmetal and these are closest.

Build isn't locked so browsing, and of course find other attractive options with the Carrera wheels:

Platinum (same gunmetal) vs High Gloss Black (Match door handles, window trim and rear wing) vs Painted Ext. Color (Very risky, bad for anxiety disorder--Looks really good here, but did I mention the configurator SUCKS?).

View attachment 34488 View attachment 34489 View attachment 34490 View attachment 34491
Black wheels on that colour car look the goods.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts