Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to activate the hill hold function.

Not a big issue as I don't think I'd ever use it much, if at all, esp with a PDK box.

I thought you just press hard on the brake and it activates.

Either my car has a fault or I'm doing something wrong as it doesn't seem to activate when I do that.

What am I missing? Is there anything else I need to do in the set up to activate the hold function?

TIA.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In the manual transmission the hold function engages if you are in first gear (or perhaps any gear?) and have your foot on the brakes and are on a steep enough incline. Then when you take your foot off the brakes it stay engaged until you start to move.

I'm not sure what the point of it would be with a PDK car though as the car won't be rolling backwards at all. But if it is used, then I would assume all the above items would be the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the Macan you double tap the brakes (after stopped) to engage. Automatics and pdks can still roll back on a hill, so the hold is useful there. However, I use it on flat ground to rest my foot at long lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"press harder" is basically what the manual said. I tried that a million times in the Macan and it never worked. I'd be pressing so hard I thought my foot would go through the floor.

I eventually figured out the double tap. Basically, come to a stop, then let up a little before pushing down again. In other words a double tap . Sometimes I have to do it more than once. I don't know if it's the car or my driving style, but the extra pumping is the only way I get it to work.

My guess is people who like to stop more quickly screw with the mechanism such that it can't detect the "push harder". The double tap gives it another chance to detect it.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
<snip>come to a stop, then let up a little before pushing down again.
This.

I did find it worked better after using it a reasonable number of times. I really like it at stop lights--I also think it disengages the clutch as the engine note changes a bit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It’s very picky. I’ve gotten much better with it but I completely stop. Then press down, at times I need to let a little off like others. This feature in my Tesla works flawlessly every time but it’s more of a comfort. In the 718 it’s gotten much better or I’ve just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll give the double tap a try.

As I said in my OP, I'm not sure I see the need for this with a pdk box. It's really not that hard to keep your foot on the brake and I'm not sure I'd trust it on a hill anyway, but let's see what I think if I can get it to work!

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the manual transmission the hold function engages if you are in first gear (or perhaps any gear?) and have your foot on the brakes and are on a steep enough incline. Then when you take your foot off the brakes it stay engaged until you start to move.

I'm not sure what the point of it would be with a PDK car though as the car won't be rolling backwards at all. But if it is used, then I would assume all the above items would be the same.
This is a bit off the original topic but you do not have to touch the brake on a manual transmission for the hold function to engage. I know because it became a problem when trying to enter my garage from an inclined driveway. The hold function would engage if I rolled back only slightly without touching the brake.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is a bit off the original topic but you do not have to touch the brake on a manual transmission for the hold function to engage. I know because it became a problem when trying to enter my garage from an inclined driveway. The hold function would engage if I rolled back only slightly without touching the brake.
In my experience you do have to touch the brakes to get hold to engage. If I just roll to a stop going up a hill it won't come on, and the car will roll backwards. Or if I put the car in neutral it won't come on and the car will roll.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I suspect that my Hold Function may not be working properly. Not only does it engage without touching the brake but it does not release if I try to move forward into the garage. At that point I have to back down the incline and start over.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I suspect that my Hold Function may not be working properly. Not only does it engage without touching the brake but it does not release if I try to move forward into the garage. At that point I have to back down the incline and start over.
That doesn't sound right to me. As soon as you start moving forward it should disengage, and even let you roll backwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts