Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was not disagreeing with you, I was adding to your point. There is no model of 911 that is not allowed to outperform another. Conversely, every model of 718 is not allowed to outperform an otherwise comparable 911. Porsche has no desire to produce a maximum performance car that does not say “911” for the general Porsche consumer. The level of performance that exceeds the 911 line is reserved for exorbitant hypercars. I don’t think it’s as much a model line strategy as it is an effort to protect an aged design. The original Boxster was considered underpowered, so it was never a threat to the monster Turbo models of 911. That is no longer true.

The problem with comparing Porsche sports cars to other manufacturers’ model strategy is that Porsche does not market average cars. Everything they sell is marketed as The Best. They try to have it both ways. They make the best 911. They do not make the best 718.

It could also be argued that the motivation behind the 4.0 GTS was less about sound, and more about deciding not to unleash the 2.5. Marketing sells what senior management decided to make, not the other way around.
Agree that we are largely saying the same thing, just coming at it from a different angle and choosing language to highlight or respective points of view. Although I find your last statement about choosing not to "unleash the 2.5" to be very optimistic and little more than hyperbole. Remember the base engine in the Carrera has an extra two cylinders, an extra 500 cc, and an extra turbocharger. I'm sure it could more than hold it's own against an "unleashed 2.5".

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agree that we are largely saying the same thing, just coming at it from a different angle and choosing language to highlight or respective points of view. Although I find your last statement about choosing not to "unleash the 2.5" to be very optimistic and little more than hyperbole. Remember the base engine in the Carrera has an extra two cylinders, an extra 500 cc, and an extra turbocharger. I'm sure it could more than hold it's own against an "unleashed 2.5".
I’ll see if I can be a little clearer.

When the 2.5 debuted, Andreas Preuninger remarked that there was “a lot more room” in the engine’s design for more power. The 2.5 GTS saw an increase of about 4.5% over the S. It is unfathomable that Preuninger considered 4.5% to be “a lot more room”. A boost to 425, on the other hand, is about a 21% increase. That seems to be more likely in the realm of what he meant.

It’s anyone’s guess as to why that deployment has not been pursued since that debut. But I do think it is safe to say that model line strategy does not fully explain bragging about a new engine‘s potential that is never developed beyond the roll-out version. Model line strategy would mean the engine’s true potential is not openly boasted upon, as its limited development is already decided. Quite the opposite took place.

It is for that reason I wrote “unleash the 2.5” and that the model has been jackbooted.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I’ll see if I can be a little clearer.

When the 2.5 debuted, Andreas Preuninger remarked that there was “a lot more room” in the engine’s design for more power. The 2.5 GTS saw an increase of about 4.5% over the S. It is unfathomable that Preuninger considered 4.5% to be “a lot more room”. A boost to 425, on the other hand, is about a 21% increase. That seems to be more likely in the realm of what he meant.

It’s anyone’s guess as to why that deployment has not been pursued since that debut. But I do think it is safe to say that model line strategy does not fully explain bragging about a new engine‘s potential that is never developed beyond the roll-out version. Model line strategy would mean the engine’s true potential is not openly boasted upon, as its limited development is already decided. Quite the opposite took place.

It is for that reason I wrote “unleash the 2.5” and that the model has been jackbooted.
Cool, I do remember AP saying that and, in that context, get the point you are trying to make. While it is possible that the 365bhp version might be the 'ultimate' iteration that sees the light of day we also don't know for sure that the engine has played it's final part. Could it be part of a hybrid solution for example?

Lastly, and just for context, I would suggest that the 2.5T wouldn't be alone in having "a lot more room" and that this most likely applies to just about every one of Porsche's power trains, although not all are necessarily developed to their full potential.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In support of @roundtail 's explanation, I believe APR claimed that they found some 'unused' maps in the ECU (left there by Porsche!...) which allowed them to better manage heat soak in the 400+ range.

Well, I don't believe that these maps 'were found' the same way you and I find loose change under the pillows in the sofa... :D

Now, if they were left there as an Easter egg for Ehresmann and APR with a wink ;) or as a consolation prize for the 2.5T owners I can't tell.

It could be 'we have them, we won't use them, let Ehresmann 'find' them and good bye and good riddance to the F4T motor, we will be going electric/hybrid on the next iteration'.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts