Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beloved 718 will become another electric car and Porsche says 80% of all porsches will be electric by 2030. How did we get here, who did this to us. 911's will be last hold out they say, so pretty soon we will all have to trade up to a 911 and its hefty price. I am a car enthusiast since I was a boy, driving an electric car is not my dream. I will not wake up early on a Saturday morning to take out my single gear electrical humming sports car through the twisties. There is no point, might as well take the wifes electric suv, no difference. I have enough problems remembering to plug in my ipone, laptop, iwatch etc....each night, now I have to plug in my wifes car, my daughters car and my car or we are screwed in the morning. I remember watching the all electric race car series last year. I sat there watching them go by, listening to a slight noise of electric drill sounds going by, so anti climatic. So pathetic. Don't mind me, depressed thinking about the future, my last love will be gone. Like I said who did this to us and how did we allow this to happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve driven a LOT of cars - Corvettes, Camaros, Miatas, 986s, 987s, 981s, 718s, 911s, BMW 3/4/5/6/7/8, various Mercs... and a lot of EVs.

The Taycan has me convinced that the electric future won’t be too bad. If it weren’t for the Taycan, I wouldn’t have sold my previous car and put a deposit down on a GTS 4.0. The Taycan reminded me of what is at the core of the Porsche brand...

I’m not ready to give up my gas powered fun car yet, but I will own a Taycan some day. It did just fine on the backroads I drove it on. When they figure out energy density for batteries and can get a low-CG car with weight comparable to today’s 2-seaters, maybe I’ll take that plunge too.

Of course, nothing compares to the sound of a high-winding, well-tuned boxer-6 or V8, especially after nailing throttle-on post-apex. I’ll miss it, but I’m afraid the day will come when it’s simply too hard to find gas or it becomes too cost-punitive.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sadly, at the moment anyway, the Porsche EV is out of reach for most. Here in the UK the base Taycan with no options is c.£70k which is way out of my budget. Even on a lease you’ll be looking at about £1000 a month. It will be interesting to see where the Macan EV is placed on the cost scale as Audi have recently released their Q4 Etron. Even so, the UKs EV charging infrastructure is woeful yet the government has said that there will be no new ICE vehicle allowed to be sold after 2030.
Personally, I’m hoping to be able to order a GTS4.0 before hand and I’ll quite happily sit in a silent traffic jam of EVs with my engine purring away behind me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not against EV's or any of the green energy sources (solar, wind, etc.) But what I'd like to see is a free market approach where these "green" vehicles and power sources are allowed to compete in the market place without government interference. Don't use my tax money to subsidize EV's, build charging stations, build wind farms, and so-on. Let these things compete on their own. If they're viable, then people will gravitate toward them, otherwise quit stuffing these things down our collective throat.

The problem is that our so-called leaders don't understand basic science or basic economics. Yet they write legislation to "fix" problems, many of which don't actually exist.

I'm all for limited grants to improve battery technology, for example. But let the free market work like it did when the automobile replaced the horse and buggy.

And let's be honest about the true cost of producing batteries as well as the replacement cost over the life of an EV. And, just as important, how about informing the public about the true environmental impact of producing electric power in concentrated area, the pollution associated with battery and electric motor production, the cost and pollution associated with solar panels, as well as the problems associated with disposing/recycling these kinds of things. In other words, are "green" things really green or is it mostly mumbo jumbo?

I suspect a $35,000 Nissan Leaf would be a good grocery getter but is it REALLY better than my sub $10,000 used Fiat Abarth (which is a ball to drive)? Is the overall environmental impact really less with the Leaf? The cost is certainly greater and that alone would steer me away from a Leaf. Although I don't drive long distances as much as I used to, I know my cheap Fiat will get me to either coast without delay. And if I decide to drive it to Alaska or Costa Rica it will do that too. So will my Porsche. The Leaf........... not so much. And if you pay two or three times as much for a Taycan, it won't make it to Costa Rica either. Admittedly, that is not a mission many would undertake, but you get the point.

As it turns out, gasoline is a wonderful fuel and at the moment we have plenty of it at comparatively low prices. Someday, that will no doubt change and at the point an EV makes economic sense, I'm ready to crack open my check book. But I don't like being forced into "going green" because government officials are confused about what is real and what isn't.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I will probably just keep my current ICE cars, they should last well past my stop driving age. EVs are largely a first world thing, but the environmental and political consequences seem disproportionately borne by third world citizens.

·
Registered
518 Posts
@ Mozella you hit the nail on the head. Eliminate government subsidy for EV. If the EV is good enough, it will win share in the market.
Just yesterday, an American EV startup (Lordstown Motors) who raised millions in an SPAC, said it ran out of cash and operations may have to cease.
Add free government money and more Lordstown Motors will be created - and fail.

EV and green are fine- as long as the government STAYS out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't use my tax money to subsidize EV's, build charging stations, build wind farms, and so-on. Let these things compete on their own. If they're viable, then people will gravitate toward them, otherwise quit stuffing these things down our collective throat.
Do you realize that oil & gas are also receiving massive tax cuts and subsidies all over the world?
Renewables are already cheaper to produce and maintain. Competing fairly would mean cutting the subsidies for big oil as well.

I find it funny how people lead with 'i'm not against' or 'i dont have a problem with' and then go on a massive rant that proves the opposite :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Do you realize that oil & gas are also receiving massive tax cuts and subsidies all over the world?
Renewables are already cheaper to produce and maintain. Competing fairly would mean cutting the subsidies for big oil as well.

I find it funny how people lead with 'i'm not against' or 'i dont have a problem with' and then go on a massive rant that proves the opposite :ROFLMAO:
Cut them then. Just for my information, can you name a few subsidies, particularly in the USA?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I suspect a smaller EV Boxster with the same performance of the existing Boxster would be a fun car. If you do not like the sound then Porsche has shown the ability to produce any sound you would like. Maybe a $2,000 option where you can select various sounds piped into the cabin. Would you like a flat 6 sound or a flat 4 sound today? A diesel truck sound would be fun.

With a low center of gravity and instant torque an electric Boxster could out preform our ICE Boxster's.

I am waiting for Biden to give me an electric car. So far I have not been able to share the government funds being handed out. An electric Boxster please!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am waiting for Biden to give me an electric car. So far I have not been able to share the government funds being handed out.
Despite, my laissez-faire attitude when it comes to government, if Biden does offer subsidies, I may buy an EV too- just not from Lordstown Motors or some other fly-by-night-line-management-pockets-with-government-money start-up.

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
25 Posts
i was 12 years old when I spent a summer wearing out my WalkMan listening to Rush's Moving Pictures over and over and over again. 'Red Barchetta' consumed my imagination day after day and brought tears to my eyes in sheer excitement every time the young man avoided the authorities while racing through the valley with his fellow outlaws.

39 years later, i realize now, more than ever, that 'Red Barchetta' IS my future. i want nothing to do with EVs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn’t mind an all electric 718 as long as the price, performance, and reliability is the same (or better!) as the current gen. I drove the Taycan and it really is great. I think I could get past not having the sound of an ICE engine in favor of instant torque on tap at any speed.

Oh, and it would also need to be able to last for a whole day at the track. That’s my biggest fear!

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
I love my etron

Would I ever want an electric Porsche? Maybe...depends
we've had electric cars almost since the first car hit the streets. the fact remains they all used electricity obtained from power plants. aren't we just exchanging where its generated to where it's consumed? where's the greenery in that.
nuclear power would truly be a greener alternative. the tree-huggers don't like it because of waste disposal.
a valid concern. would you want a car you could only go 300-350mi. in and risk being stranded?
ev's are a good option for urban areas where charging stations are plentiful. not for driving across the southwest on a trip.
that's my rant! sorry. i'll quit driving first! :confused:

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have no issues with the EV cars at all, the biggest problem is they are shoving it down our throat, in 2035 it will be EV and nothing else. They will come for your 1987 911. This is what gets me. They are not letting the marketing lead the way, some autocrats said we are going electric and you better love it or else. Oh, and of coarse follow the money, lets see, who makes batteries, take a guess, and I bet everyone guesses this one, China. This is all way to convenient.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
I have no issues with the EV cars at all, the biggest problem is they are shoving it down our throat, in 2035 it will be EV and nothing else. They will come for your 1987 911. This is what gets me. They are not letting the marketing lead the way, some autocrats said we are going electric and you better love it or else. Oh, and of coarse follow the money, lets see, who makes batteries, take a guess, and I bet everyone guesses this one, China. This is all way to convenient.
when i'm forced to quit driving cars, i'll hire a voluptuous babe with big bazoombas. i'll stare at them and not worry about
cars anymore. :love:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts