Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
288 Posts
Sounds like potentially higher maintenance cost! There is no escape.
Been there Graustark. Done that. The Porsche is still less expensive than the large frontal area......The Porsce doesn't tell me to put the toilet seat down.....
I'll be pushing up daisies or feeding the fish before EV will reach my required parameters: 1000 mile range with a 20 minute charge time. Then I might consider....

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
...These "enlightened" bureaucrats give "percentage depletion" and at the same time (yesterday) revoke permission to drill on public lands in Alaska and (two months ago) revoke authority to complete the Keystone pipeline.
The Alaska drilling is more akin to an issue of religious beliefs... Do the oil and gas and mining businesses have a right to do their business in federal lands or not?

Reality check: Shell gave up on all Alaskan drilling a few years ago, on plots they already had right in. Not worth their risk/investment. The majors have been clamoring for drilling rights on the ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Reserve) since before I graduated from University and started working for Oil and Gas. With no basis, just, as I said, on grounds akin to religious beliefs. (The argument being, it is a huge piece of land, we have found oil in Prudhoe Bay, so there must be oil in the ANWR).

Whether we like it or not, the federal and state governments have a say (and with their policies and acceptance of lobbying a very big say at that) on the activities on federal and state lands. We can only wish (or demand) that they act on the public's interest rather than lining the pockets of a few.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Been there Graustark. Done that. The Porsche is still less expensive than the large frontal area......The Porsce doesn't tell me to put the toilet seat down.....
I'll be pushing up daisies or feeding the fish before EV will reach my required parameters: 1000 mile range with a 20 minute charge time. Then I might consider....
Minds are like parachutes, they only work well when they are open.

Once the battery type is pretty much settled (LiIon or solid state or...?) in maybe 5 or 10 years, it is highly likely that the battery form/shape will be standardized, either by force of free market or Government mandate (don't look in the US, more likely in the EU and China). Once this happens, the charging stations will become like LPG stations, you drive in a bay, a robot removes your spent battery and installs a fresh one and off you go. Total time under 2 minutes. The range becomes inconsequential. You don't own your standardized battery, you just pay a deposit like an LPG bottle. You might be able to charge it at home, at least early on...

Are you risking pushing up the daisies against this vision? :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do people really think EV's will be fun and exciting to drive?

I'm not looking forward for this future of souless cars... :(
Please go drive a Taycan. I've spent many hours in a 4S, and it's quite a lot of fun. It's not a 718, but for a four-door car that's comfortable as all get-out, it can still carve corners quite well and the acceleration is great.

I've driven Teslas (3/S), Bolts, both generations of Leaf and a few other cars. I find the Bolt fun, in a "tire burning FWD car" kind of way. Irresponsible fun, but not something to enjoy on a race track or mountain road. The Leafs... are not good. Not by any metric. They are not comfortable, they handle poorly, they feel like they're going to get thrown off the road by larger vehicles (despite weighing quite a bit!), they're anemic and the interior quality and feature set is bleh.

I really want to emphasize that I am not here to bang on the drums of EVs. I am planning a substantial investment into a Boxster GTS 4.0, and do not see myself purchasing an EV for myself in the next few years.

The premise of this thread is that "the future is bleak", and that's all I'm here to disagree with. The Taycan is Porsche's first attempt at an EV and it is fantastic!

If I was forced to drive one car for 99% of what I need a car to do, I'd be speccing a Taycan and not a 718. Fortunately, I have a boring family hauler that can tow my Waverunner, wife, two kids and gear on our yearly vacations. I'd much rather have that and a 718 than a single four-door sedan/hatch - EV or not.

I agree with many of the other posters here regarding government subsidies and forcing EVs down the public's throat while fuel alternatives are being researched. I'm optimistic that Porsche & Exxon can come up with something, but in the meantime - EVs aren't as bad as I once thought they were.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
50 Posts
Not all Americans are as gullible as the Swamp Creatures would like. In spite of all the hype, EV's represent only about 2% of vehicles. So there is a long way to go before they constitute half the cars on the road. I'll drive one when it makes sense, but for now my petrol cars are a much better choice.
I don't enjoy automatics so I'm not interested in EV's
i hope i'm not opening another can of worms here but......
it seems the tobacco industry gets some pretty healthy fed. subsides as well.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
brainless like stepping on a pedal and having everything done for you? no thanks
No, brainless as in polluting the effing planet that we hope that the next generations will be able to live on. That is the legacy, (along with debt) that we are leaving to the next generations!....

Do we have to burn everything?:unsure:

·
Registered
851 Posts
The problem is that our so-called leaders don't understand basic science or basic economics. Yet they write legislation to "fix" problems, many of which don't actually exist.
Which basic science do they not understand? Do you feel that human-made climate change doesn't exist?

As it turns out, gasoline is a wonderful fuel and at the moment we have plenty of it at comparatively low prices.
I feel that someone who says that can't feel that climate change is real.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can only 'LOL' at this.
Who the bleeeep drives for 1000 miles with only a 20 minute break? o_O :ROFLMAO:
We take the Tesla to the south of France in the summer. It's around 1300km (810 miles). It takes us exacty 2 hours of charging time to get there.
Would you really drive 800+ miles straight? Or taking less than 2 hours of breaks along the way?

Somehow, when it comes to EVs, people impose ridiculous new standards.
Just because you CAN drive for 24 hours straight and spend only 15 minutes refueling doesn't mean you ever WILL or HAVE!
So why should a new car offer you this ridiculous theoretical possibility?

If you say you like the feel of an ICE behind you or love the exhaust sound... I'm with you there!
The experience I get in my 718 is much more engaging than the Tesla. But don't use those ridiculous requirements for a car to discredit EV's.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The chief instructor for our PCA division showed up at last evenings meeting in his Frozen Blue Taycan Turbo. It's definitely a looker. I spoke with him about his driving impressions. He loves the car. Says what we all know - that it has all the power and sublime handling one could want. It was great for road trips with plenty of room. However he also said what many of us also feel about ICE vs EV. There's no soul to it, and would rather be sitting at a stop light in a 997 GT3 with a Mezger engine idling behind the seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where did Porsche say 80% of their cars would be electric? Selling my stock in Porsche if that's true. What is wrong with them seriously? Sorry to you guys who like electric cars but I can't stand em'.

I hope they're just blowing smoke up my ass with this one. I'm praying this electric thing doesn't pan out for them like they thought it would.

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
75 Posts
There is no pure Porsche stock (yet) .. so good luck with that.

If EUV doesn't work out for them, then good luck buying a new 911 in the future.

Same thing as SUV's supporting ( subsidizing maybe 😉) 718 and 911 manufacturing.
Marketing wise, there is no 718/Cayanne/Macan without a 911, but maybe that changes for E-vehicles.
Money wise they need a full range of vehicles.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
Can we dump the climate / fossil fuels discussion?

Separately, I am sure Telsas are lovely and quiet daily drivers, but my heart ain't in it.

BTW check out Lucid in Arizona - luxury electric:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Love my BMW i3 for the boring stuff. Bought it off lease for $18k over 2 years ago in my desire to cut commuting costs and commute time while having a comfortable ride (remotely cooling the car on 115 degree Arizona days is wonderful). After 30k miles it has succeeded beyond my expectations and I will never go back to ICE for transportation needs. The i3 has its own character but lacking a real engine it does not have soul. Don’t really care because for the fun stuff I will ALWAYS have an ICE powered Porsche sports car. After having 6 Porsche sports car I would argue, with the exception of the GT cars, that the new stuff has lost some soul in exchange for performance, comfort, lower environmental impact, etc. Tech marches on. If you haven’t driven some of Porsche’s old cars I recommend you do and you will know what I mean. I have 25 to 40 years left and I have no concerns about not being able to drive an ICE powered car. So calm down EV haters, it will be okay. I promise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is no pure Porsche stock (yet) .. so good luck with that.
I'm just talking about POAHY. I bought a few shares and made 2k from their little pump and dump they just had. I'll be happy to dump my shares though, pure or not. Happy that POAHY isn't "pure" because I'm a bit of a purist myself. If they tank after they push their electric junk I will shrug my shoulders and drive my 718 until it dies.

Don't be shocked when you see me trade in my 718 for a 1995 911 if they really push hard on the electric as they say..Technology is starting to piss me off lol and my 718 is starting to come off alittle "tesla-ish" to me.

I'll stick around here though because the community is awesome. I'll stay out of this thread from now on though because these EVs trigger me more than someone parking next to me and swirls in my 718 paint.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts