Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have always been anal about breaking in a new engine even though most of the manufacturers for many years now essentially just say don't do anything stupid for a 1000 miles. I typically keep the RPM under 3000 for the first 100 miles and then gradually get more aggressive with the throttle working up to 1000 miles. I also try to vary the speed as much as reasonable possible if I have the brand new car on a road trip and take it gently on the brakes for about 300 miles.

I am taking delivery in Atlanta in mid April and will be driving the car back to Florida, with a stop probably in Savannah or Tybee Island.

I am curious what others have done with respect to a break in regimen on their new car.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The break in is around 2000 miles if i remember correct and i would keep in below 4000 rpm and all that.
And (!) i would change oil after the break in!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I drove it like normal. I’ve never done a break in, but I didn’t beat on it until I hit about 3k miles when I took it to an autocross event. I have 24k miles now and everything is fine so far.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do the recommended break-in, 2,000 miles <4K RPM. Unless looking to track the car.............it is no issue staying under 4K with the torque available in these engines. It was more of challenge in my 987s and 981s. I am at 1700 miles now since picking up the car in late October. Once I hit 2,000, I increase the RPM up to redline in increments that gets me to that point at about 2,500. I will have the oil and filter done at that point. This is my 5th Cayman...................and I use little to no oil in between changes which I do about every 4,000 miles. Yes, I am one of those owner..... :).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I do the recommended break-in, 2,000 miles <4K RPM. Unless looking to track the car.............it is no issue staying under 4K with the torque available in these engines. It was more of challenge in my 987s and 981s. I am at 1700 miles now since picking up the car in late October. Once I hit 2,000, I increase the RPM up to redline in increments that gets me to that point at about 2,500. I will have the oil and filter done at that point. This is my 5th Cayman...................and I use little to no oil in between changes which I do about every 4,000 miles. Yes, I am one of those owner..... :).
A good sign and it goes to show that it is worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm generally adhering to the break-in recommendations in the manual. certainly some firm pedal pushes and a handful of strong accelerations but nothing sustained, no full throttle punches. I'm off the opinion that some highly limited hard accelerations won't do any harm to the car, more sustained pushing of the car perhaps some level is issue. At least that's my take. I have absolutely zero evidence or educational background to support that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was gentle with the car until it hit 2000 miles.

We picked up our car at Atlanta PEC and drove it back to New Jersey (plus some touring along the way including Savannah).

I did not use cruise control and I varied the speed as much as was reasonable on the trip home.

I'm quite happy with the engine performance as well as the car overall.

I have been racing MGs for many years and I rebuild my race engines regularly. I don't have a dyno available to me: If I get a chance, I prefer to put a fresh race-engine in one of my street MGs and drive it around gently for a while to break it in. They always tend to last longer if I do this.

Reactions: RGM718

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
There are two schools of thought but I am in the camp that follows the manuals recommended break-in; that is, 2K miles < 4K rpms.

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
259 Posts
I was too concerned about not following the break in but also way too impatient. Got the car on a Wednesday, sudden road trip had the break in miles done by that Sunday.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This issue has been hashed about a good bit in much earlier threads that I can't locate. There are essentially two schools of thought: (1) follow the recommendations or (2) have at it. I believe that long-term owners tend toward the former due to an abundance of caution, while the latter could be more prevalent in those with shorter-term ownership views. Its still not clear whether rpm usage is discoverable via onboard diagnostics, but if that is true, excessive use may be something to consider if not following the recommended guidelines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1500 miles then drove it like i stole it and didnt feel bad about it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
2000 miles following break in recommendations. Oil/filter change shortly thereafter. Then unfortunately put away for the Very long winter. Spring is coming though!?

·
Registered
476 Posts
i put about 1,000 or so miles on it locally keeping it in normal mode and being gentle with the throttle for the most part, but i did have a little fun every now and then including a couple launches. then i did an 800 mile trip to hershey and the next weekend i was at the track. changed the oil after the track weekend, then every 2 weekends at the track again. so far so good :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
break in

Took delivery of our 2018 Boxster GTS on August 18 2018. For the first 1500 miles which took 3 months both my wife and I (we share the new toy) drove the car very conservatively. After that we got a little frisky only on certain roads.
I did call the dealer in West Palm Beach and asked the service manager about getting the oil changed at the 2000 mile mark and he said that a few folks get an early oil change but in his opinion it was a waste of $$$ so I opted out?
Meanwhile there is now 3000 miles on the car, not a drop of oil has been burned, and the car runs like a top. Just a great vehicle that begs to be driven hard which we rarely do but when we do we just love it. I'm an old Corvette owner but I honestly believe this is just a better car. IMHO only.
m

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
I picked up my base 2019 Cayman on Dec. 21 last year and with Kentucky winterish weather, I've had it out to roam country roads sporadically. At this point, I have 444 miles on the odometer (434 I've added). I figure, with luck, I may get my 2,000 miles on the car by sometime in May. I plan on keeping the car at least 10 years, no matter the temptations in future Caymans. Although I have traditionally changed new car oil at 800 miles, I will wait until its annual service before changing the oil. My reason is because I've swallowed the sales pitch on synthetic oils and believe they are better lubricants than traditional oils. I also believe that Porsche engines are designed and built to high specifications. I generally don't believe anything without unbiased fact, however, I am allowing belief to overpower reason regarding my Cayman because I choose to do so! Actually, I haven't heard a convincing argument to the contrary (or is that my built-in credulity?). I am trying to follow the break in instructions, but have accidentally hit 5,000 RPMs momentarily a few times. I am likely to exceed 4,000 RPMs accidentally in the future before achieving 2,000 miles. What can I say? I'm a believer (and mildly hoping I don't end up in some sort of Porsche ****). Can I get an "amen"? I said, CAN I GET AN AMEN?!? (This may be a Southern thing.)

Reactions: aeronca65tl

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've already wrote it somewhere else:

In the past, the engines, needed a REAL break-in time, and then an oil change to take out metal dust, not today.

The break-in period for new cars, nowadays, is more for ALL the moving parts... like brakes, clutch, turbo etc...

So, It's a good idea to don't exceed too much in the very first miles of life of a new car, but you don't really need to respect some "dogma", like "never over 4k or your car will explode" or similar thing

So... warm it, and if the oil is hot, you can go safe and have fun... :D

This is the only one rule to respect... always! Even If you have 1.000.000 Miles

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was easy on it for the first 500, and then tried not to drive at constant RPM for the next 1000-1500 or so and not get on it too much.

I don't honestly know if the engine really needs a "break in" but w/e.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts